A question about egg whites (again)

Options
eeebee
eeebee Posts: 471 Member
I still eat about 4 of them a day - I find that they keep me fuller for longer so I will snack on a peeled hard boiled egg when hungry (unfortunately I chuck the yolk away for cholesterol and fat reasons but indulge in around 3 a week so am not totally depriving myself of their creamy loveliness)

Question is: will too many egg whites bulk me up, muscle-wise?

A colleague at work mentioned that this is what helped him to body build and get really big with solid muscle...he told me if I dont want to bulk up, perhaps I shuld try pasta instead of eggs if I am hungry.

I am now thinking twice about my egg white consumption (some would say addiction!) anyone have any experience of this happening?

Replies

• 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    egg whites alone will not bulk you up. no one food can do that for you. are your eating at a deficit or excess for your total calories? are you lifting heavy things? what are your goals?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Lifting really heavy consistantly will create muscle mass, without that you can eat all the eggwhites you want and not build muscle. Also your belief that dietary cholesterol and fat are to be avoided is kind of a retro throwback before the internet and when we believed everythig the gov't said.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I chuck the yolk away for cholesterol and fat reasons

Do you have high cholesterol and have you confirmed that the reduction in dietary cholesterol has indeed reduced your cholesterol levels? For most people dietary cholesterol does not do this and you can eat up. Also, fat is good for you and avoiding it is rather silly in most cases.

No individual food will bulk you up without considering the context of the entire diet. Weight gain is caused by calorie surplus.
    A colleague at work mentioned that this is what helped him to body build and get really big with solid muscle...he told me if I dont want to bulk up, perhaps I shuld try pasta instead of eggs if I am hungry.

Generally speaking, high protein intake is necessary for muscle gains. This is the only relation that egg whites have to the above quote.
    I am now thinking twice about my egg white consumption (some would say addiction!) anyone have any experience of this happening?

Enjoy your eggs and consider eating the yolks.
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but that guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

Egg whites won't bulk you up. For females it takes years of training with heavy weights, specific diets, and usually some form of supplementation. Egg whites are a good source of protein, something many women lack with changing their diets. They will keep you fuller longer (and the yolks are as bad as some think). I think this is a case of an old stereotype about bulking and women.
  • eeebee
    Options
    Thanks everyone - this is comforting to know - I shall continue to eat egg whites when feeling peckish in this case.

It's a rather bizarre snack to keep in your desk drawer isn't it? I notice that when I dont have any eggs though, I get hungrier a lot quicker.

I love the luxurious yolk so this is music to my ears too. I've read conflicting studies about egg yolks being good/bad. I include a healthy amount of fat (imho) in my average daily diet and try to stay within my goals as much as possible whilst still enjoying a few "off" days every once in a while.

I shall let my eggy hair down and have whole eggs for the next few weeks and report back to you all.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    im having 8 for my mid morning snack. Mmmm......
  • eeebee
    Options

Do you eat white and yolk?

I could eat eggs all day long, I love em.

If I did though I'd be way too gassy and my other half would have to move out!
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Do you eat white and yolk?

I could eat eggs all day long, I love em.

If I did though I'd be way too gassy and my other half would have to move out!
    lol. YAY PROTEIN FARTS! umm, no....i dont eat the yolk but thats because they make me wanna puke. Its been that way since i was a kid. just never liked them...unless they were scrambled then they didnt bother me. BUT i really just stick to egg whites and get my fat intake from other foods like natural PB and crap...not real crap....that would be gross.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's a rather bizarre snack to keep in your desk drawer isn't it?
    Yes, unless your desk drawer is refrigerated. Apparently it's not causing you a problem but... room temperature eggs? Ugh.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to him, stay away from the pasta. Pasta will turn to sugar which turns to fat..no good!

Egg yolks are just as good for you as the whites. Fat doesn't make you fat! Sugar, starches, and over refined carbohydrates make you fat.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    No, calories make you fat.
  • karjustin
    Options
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to him, stay away from the pasta. Pasta will turn to sugar which turns to fat..no good!

Egg yolks are just as good for you as the whites. Fat doesn't make you fat! Sugar, starches, and over refined carbohydrates make you fat.

I eat starches all day and have lost weight. Starches doesn't make you fat. Look at the logic you presented fat doesn't make you fat (blinks) but something other than fat makes you fat? Fat doesn't make you fat because it is fat. I agree that refined carbs are bad but not natural foods such as vegetables, fruits and starches such as potatoes, rice, corn, butternut squash, beans. Pasta turns into sugar.

Lets examine this statement. Eating 20 grams of fat and eating 20 grams of pasta. 20 grams of fat is 180 calories and 20 grams of pasta is 80 calories. Yes, I'll eat the pasta.

As for egg yolks, I avoid it but those are for my own reasons.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

The part about yolks is correct for the most part. But, the rest of the above is.... nonsense, no offense intended. Excess calories make you fat. All of the above that you listed will not make you fat while in a calorie deficit.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The part about yolks is correct for the most part. But, the rest of the above is.... nonsense, no offense intended. Excess calories make you fat. All of the above that you listed will not make you fat while in a calorie deficit.

Unless you have underlying health issues, dietary cholesterol doesn't generally affect serum cholesterol levels.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Unless you have underlying health issues, dietary cholesterol doesn't generally affect serum cholesterol levels.

^ Correct, I was agreeing with her statement to eat the yolk because it's good for you.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    No, it's good protein. Worry NOT!

I like to combine 1 whole egg with 4 egg whites, then make a veggie omelet.
    Some people here will tell you to eat yokes like vitamin pills, but beware.

Those are filled with fat and calories. Moderation is key.
    Keep punching!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I still eat about 4 of them a day - I find that they keep me fuller for longer so I will snack on a peeled hard boiled egg when hungry (unfortunately I chuck the yolk away for cholesterol and fat reasons but indulge in around 3 a week so am not totally depriving myself of their creamy loveliness)

1. For starters women will not bulk up without taking performance enhancing drugs
    2. you need to lift heavy weights ofter with adequate protein in a caloric surplus to gain muscle
    3. women do not have enough testosterone to bulk
    4. a woman will not bulk without trying very, very, very hard to bulk.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options

1. For starters women will not bulk up without taking performance enhancing drugs
    2. you need to lift heavy weights ofter with adequate protein in a caloric surplus to gain muscle
    3. women do not have enough testosterone to bulk
    4. a woman will not bulk without trying very, very, very hard to bulk.

Summed up nicely. And as sidesteal said, enjoy your egg whites, consider eating the yollks.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I chuck the yolk away for cholesterol and fat reasons

Do you have high cholesterol and have you confirmed that the reduction in dietary cholesterol has indeed reduced your cholesterol levels? For most people dietary cholesterol does not do this and you can eat up. Also, fat is good for you and avoiding it is rather silly in most cases.

No individual food will bulk you up without considering the context of the entire diet. Weight gain is caused by calorie surplus.

Generally speaking, high protein intake is necessary for muscle gains. This is the only relation that egg whites have to the above quote.

Enjoy your eggs and consider eating the yolks.

^^ This