How often do you think about food?

Options
I cook and shop for my family and as a result, I'm always planning and thinking about the family meals for the day. However, I'm starting to come to terms with how much I've let food take over my life. I'm hoping that acknowledging this will help me overcome and instill added will power. MFP seems like such a great help already.

It's become clear that I that I've let myself think about food more than anything else in any given day from sun up, to sun down. While striving to drop weight, I have to be very conscience of my intake, however when I hit my goal weight, I'm hoping that I've learned to limit how much food controls my life.

How often do you think about food? Does it get easier to put food in its place?

13556194.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• It does get easier. When I just started I thought about food all the time. Not because I was always hungry, but because I was constantly planning my meals to ensure that I ate clean. As time passes, your habits change and healthy eating becomes the norm. You'd no longer have to give much thought to your meals; its going to come naturally.

good luck!
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When I am bored! When my tummy growls! Other than that I try not to think about it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me it varies. Some days I think about food all the time. I refer to these as my munchie days. Other days I rarely give it a thought until my tummy growls. I do all the shopping and more than half the cooking for us, but I rarely plan meals. I shop by what looks fresh or is on sale and when it's time to prepare a meal we decide then what we want based on what's available.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my journey, I thought about it ALL the time. Now? I only think about it when I know it is time to eat again (or my tummy growls). I think for some people putting food in its place gets easier with time, but I think for other people? It never gets easier and is always a constant battle.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think about food more now, planning what I am going to eat and looking at the nutrition and figuring out what will be better for me than I ever have before. But I've only been at this for about a month. So don't take my word for it, it probably becomes easier.
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    For as long as I am awake... lol I don't love food I am not obsessed it just became a habit for me. lol
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Constantly. All day, every day.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If i'm not focused on anything in particular that's got my full attention, than yes...I am thinking about food. because even when i'm sitting around bored I at least like to be bored while snacking.
  • Severa25
    Options
    I simply LOVE food. The taste of a great many things to me is euphoric...worse to say than a cat to catnip. (Kidding but close...I just don't lay in it and wallow)

Growing up through hard times, we learned to not waste food and always finished everything on our plates. This, along with a love for good food, is a major contributor amongst my family resulting in being overweight.

So, beginning a life change such as this throws all I have ever known out of whack! Controdicts my very history of 35 years. I need to not only choose to eat healthier and read labels, but make and eat smaller portions. Thank God I don't mind leftovers because many of my family recipes will feed an army unless I get the calculator out and half the recipe ...to which I am still learning to do. But until then, i will still have leftovers with some meals :)
    To answer your question, yes, it becomes somewhat easier to control…the body acclimates and the motivation through results is a wonderful thing. But, regardless of how much I lose, the love for food will never change. I just need to keep it in check despite the saying “Food can never taste as good as a skinny person feels”.

I’ve always challenged that cliché. Will give my perspective on that when I reach my goal.
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a "foody" - I definitely really love food, but I don;t think about it all the time or anything. I think |I used to be really obsessed with it when I was dieting hard and yo-yoing all the time. I used to plan all my meals before going to sleep, and all those good intentions would evaporate in the morning.

Now I have a much more balanced mental attitude, I'm a bit on the heavy side, but I'm not constantly obsessed or destroying myself by binge-eating.