humus

Options
Lauren_H
Lauren_H Posts: 4
Does anyone have a good humus recipe? The store bought stuff is okay, but i would love to make some fresh humus at home!

Replies

• Lauren_H
    Options
    Does anyone have a good humus recipe? The store bought stuff is okay, but i would love to make some fresh humus at home!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I like this one. My favorite is using roasted garlic and the jarred roasted red pepper. I use about 1/4 cup of the pepper chopped. I also dry the pepper off with paper towel before I chop it. I also like to add alittle cumin in. Just another layer of flavor.

I did a recipe analysis on calorie count and put it in the data base as Keiko's Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.

To experiment I cut the recipe in half that way if it wasn't one I really liked I wasn't stuck with alot of it.
    It makes a great sandwich spread instead of mayo. My DH has been using it too.

Hummus Recipe

Ingredients

* 4 garlic cloves, minced and then mashed
    * 2 15-oz cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
    * 2/3 cup of tahini (roasted, not raw)
    * 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1/2 teaspoon of salt
    * Pine nuts (toasted) and parsley (chopped) for garnish

Method

1 In a food processor, combine the mashed garlic, garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water, and olive oil. Process until smooth. Add salt, starting at a half a teaspoon, to taste.

2 Spoon into serving dish and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley.

Serve with crackers, raw dip vegetables such as carrots or celery, or with pita bread. You can cut the pita bread into thin triangles, brush with olive oil and toast for 10 minutes in a 400°F oven to make pita chips with which to serve the hummus.

Makes about 3 cups.

a couple of ways to change it up: Add-- carmelized onions, or switch out the garlic for Roasted Garlic, or add some Roasted red pepper (this adds moisture, you can use less oil
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    I buy garbanzo beans, soak them and cook them a bit, or you can use the canned ones. Add tahini, garlic and lemon juice, olive oil and salt to taste. Put it all in the food processor or blender. So easy and you can control the taste to your preference! :smile:
  • maree
    maree Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Plain Hummus

1 15oz. can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
    1/3 cup Tahini sauce
    2 T. olive oil
    2 crushed cloves garlic
    1/4 cup lemon juice

Throw all ingredients into a food processer or blender and you're done!

To add a little spice I like to add some Fire Roasted Red Peppers from a jar (I buy mine from Trader Joes) and some chili oil (I add close to 1 T. but you can add slowly to your liking.)
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    From the Biggest Loser 30 day Jump Start:

Creamy Hummus:
    3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 15oz cans) drained and rinsed
    1/2 cup warm water
    3 TBSP lime juice
    1 TBSP tahini
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 TBSP minced garlic
    1 tsp salt
    2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro

Place the chickpeas, water, lime juice, tahini, cumin, and garlic in a food processor, Process for about 4 minute, or until very smooth. Add an extra tablespoon or two of waater if necessary. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cilantro.

Makes about 16 (2 TBSP) servings (2 cups)

Per serving: 60 Calories, 3g protein, 9g carbs, (2g sugars), 2g fat (0g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 2g fiber, 120mg sodium.

Personally, I don't like cilantro, so I leave it out.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    bump
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe that I use and love it!
    If you're not a fan of spicy, use only 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper .

25477.jpg

Spiced Sweet Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

In an electric blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, red peppers, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Process, using long pulses, until the mixture is fairly smooth, and slightly fluffy. Make sure to scrape the mixture off the sides of the food processor or blender in between pulses. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (The hummus can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before serving.)

Makes about 8 servings (1/3 cup)
  • Lauren_H
    Options
    Thanks guys, i shall try those out and see which one i like the best.
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    Awesome :) Thanks everyone for posting this ;) I just bought some spicy hummus today at Trader Joes but was thinking, boy I wish I could just make it :) And Now I can !!!! Thanks !!!:happy:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Whats Tahini Sauce and where do I find it? Im gonna try to make some of this but I have no clue what tahini is?:laugh:
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Whats Tahini Sauce and where do I find it? Im gonna try to make some of this but I have no clue what tahini is?:laugh:

It is a paste made from sesame seeds. I found some at trader joe's. I had to drive to Phoenix to get to TJ's cuz I couldn't find any local...
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    saving for later
  • amycakes812
    amycakes812 Posts: 441
    Options
    bumping for future reference
  • rickhayton
    rickhayton Posts: 1
    Options
    hi there the way i make humms is 1 can of gonzobeans sorry for my spelling 4 gloves of garlic 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and olive oil