Bikram or Hot Yoga Calories Burned?

Options
Hi,
Been trying Hot Yoga (Bikram Yoga) for a week or so. This system doesn't have any definition for the calories burned using that, but elsewhere I found calculators that say It burns between 700 to 1000 calories in 90min session. I know I sweat like I am in hell for 90min (although there are beautiful people around me :laugh: ) and I must lose a few lbs just in sweat.

any of you out there do this? and any clue how many calories is burned?

Replies

• B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Last class I did my HRM said just about 300 calories for a 60min. class. LOVE hot yoga!
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Bumping to hear more responses. I found on online calculator that averaged about 500 cals/hr but I'm worried that's too much.
  • TonyValentino
    TonyValentino Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks.. found http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm

based on this .. i must lose 1000 per session... not sure if that is true or not.. I do this 3 to 4 times a week.. so i should be losing a lot of weight but I am not..
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    thanks.. found http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm

based on this .. i must lose 1000 per session... not sure if that is true or not.. I do this 3 to 4 times a week.. so i should be losing a lot of weight but I am not..

not likely you would burn 1000

I was doing the 90 minute class...probably about 400 or so

while yoga is fantastic activity for body and mind it is not the calorie burner like hard cardio

namaste
  • TonyValentino
    TonyValentino Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My yoga class is very strict as not to allow any 'technology' in the class.. I got to figure out a way to sneak in a calorie counter in a session ...

searching on the net, i have come up with both calculators (which probably are not correct) and also a lot of discussions about it.. for men 200lbs or more.. it seems to be discussions around 700 to 1000 calories, some claim they did the counting some otherwise

one thing is for sure, when I do the hot yoga, I lose about 5lbs of water .. but about an hour later I put that back in
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You do burn more then regular yoga, but it really depends on your instructor.

In non-heated classes, for "power yoga" style (quick movements through the poses) I can burn 450Cal/hr, but for "hatha yoga" style (multiple breaths at each pose) its about 180Cal/hr.

I've done hot yoga before (not Bikram) and it was more of a hatha style, so I would think 90 minutes would be around 500Cal/hr.