Anyone know of a cheap easy to use HRM

Options
I really want to get a heart rate monitor that tracks my calories burned but the one i see people on here talking about are pretty pricey......does and one know of a easy to use inexpensive one.....if you do please let me know about it and where i can find it> Thank you very much!!!

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Pro-Form makes an inexpensive HRM. I had one before I got my Polar and I think I paid $19.95 for it online. It seemed to work pretty well for a year or 2.

Google it!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Options
    Stupid double post!
  • veeandthree
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • cara19812
    cara19812 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i saw one at walmart for $50 it tracks calories burned and heart rate.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with HRM's you really get what you pay for. Try looking for the Polar FT4 on Amazon, good deals and is relatively cheap vs. other reliable once.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap one. I bought two actually.

My advice is save up enough money to buy a Polar.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is very reasonable on Amazon, I love mine. I got it for about $60.
  • somerreese
    Options
    I would also like to know the answer to this. Yesterday I found a HRM at TJ Maxx for $19.99 - it's the kind that is like a watch - it says it tracks calories burned, distance, etc. but I've read on here that the ones that don't have a chest strap are not very accurate.... is it worth it to buy the wrist type?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Get one with a chest strap. I have a Polar F4, which I think has since been replaced by the FT4, and I love it. It's totally worth the money! I've been using it for over 3 yrs now. If you don't work out after 3 days, it will basically tell you to get off your butt every hour until your next workout. :smile:

The ones without a chest strap aren't taking a constant reading, so they are not as accurate.
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about how wonderful polar's are but I did some major research and ended up buying a timex. It was rated #1 on consumer reports and they have not steered me wrong yet. I love it! Does everything it is suppose to. Plus its $40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8VWQS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
  • Coltsman4ever
    Options
    I would also like to know the answer to this. Yesterday I found a HRM at TJ Maxx for $19.99 - it's the kind that is like a watch - it says it tracks calories burned, distance, etc. but I've read on here that the ones that don't have a chest strap are not very accurate.... is it worth it to buy the wrist type?

Check the package contents to see if it includes a chest strap. If it does, even though it's going to be a cheaper quality than Polar, I know not everybody can afford a $45 or $60 HRM. Something is better than nothing and like I said, the cheap one I had worked pretty well when I compare it to my Polar. Not as good as the Polar but for the price, not bad!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about how wonderful polar's are but I did some major research and ended up buying a timex. It was rated #1 on consumer reports and they have not steered me wrong yet. I love it! Does everything it is suppose to. Plus its $40

Do not buy this one.. Highly inaccurate when it comes to calories burned. When I had it, it told me I burned 580 calories walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes.. Um no, I think not! Got my polar and the number was almost half...

For 20 dollars more, you can get the Polar FT4 on amazon... and it will be much more accurate at estimating calories burned.
  • somerreese
    Options

Check the package contents to see if it includes a chest strap. If it does, even though it's going to be a cheaper quality than Polar, I know not everybody can afford a $45 or $60 HRM. Something is better than nothing and like I said, the cheap one I had worked pretty well I compare it to my Polar. Not as good as the Polar but for the price, not bad!
    ok, thanks! I will go back and check that out!
  • Nattiejean57
    Options

Do not buy this one.. Highly inaccurate when it comes to calories burned. When I had it, it told me I burned 580 calories walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes.. Um no, I think not! Got my polar and the number was almost half...

For 20 dollars more, you can get the Polar FT4 on amazon... and it will be much more accurate at estimating calories burned.

I have actually not had this problem at all. I actually have ventured through several hrm's and this one was just as accurate as the rest, even my polar.
  • dad106
    Options

I have actually not had this problem at all. I actually have ventured through several hrm's and this one was just as accurate as the rest, even my polar.

Your kidding right... It does not let you enter any info except for age and max heart rate.. which means it assumes that you are a male, and thus gives you the calorie burn of one.

So either your Polar settings were really off, or you magically got a good one because everyone I talk to says how bad they are and how inflated the calorie burn was.

I also suggest reading this link OP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • Nattiejean57
    Options

Your kidding right... It does not let you enter any info except for age and max heart rate.. which means it assumes that you are a male, and thus gives you the calorie burn of one.

So either your Polar settings were really off, or you magically got a good one because everyone I talk to says how bad they are and how inflated the calorie burn was.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I am actually not kidding and if you read the amazon reviews they are really good too. That is my experience, it does not have to be the same as your experience

And no my settings on my polar ft4 are not off
  • dad106
    Options

I am actually not kidding and if you read the amazon reviews they are really good too. That is my experience, it does not have to be the same as your experience

It says they are good for reading heart rate.. and thats about it.

In 5 pages it says nothing about calories except for like 3 entries and they all say they are off...

So I'm gonna stick with the one I know is more accurate, and leave it at that. OP can decide what she wants.
  • Nattiejean57
    Options

It says they are good for reading heart rate.. and thats about it.

In 5 pages it says nothing about calories except for like 3 entries and they all say they are off...

So I'm gonna stick with the one I know is more accurate, and leave it at that. OP can decide what she wants.

What a novel idea!!! I had the same idea too which is why i posted what worked for me! Genius