How did you decide your goal weight?

Options
I am 5.5 and medium boned. The top of my healthy weight ranges depending on what chart I am looking at. I set my goal weight at 159 because 160 was the highest range in being healthy on MFP. I am now 34 pounds away from reaching it (have lost 36lbs). I have no idea if I set it too high though.
I keep seeing really low goal weights for people on MFP. I was wondering how everyone got the goal they set.
Thanks in advance.
Hetty

Replies

• liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i have my first goal as 150-155, reason for this is because thats how much i weighed a year and a half ago, when i met my fiance. i felt pretty confident/a lil sexy. although ive always strived to be at least 130. ive had a hard time sticking to that weight. i started 2 months ago at 173, im now down to 162 :) so a lil more and ill be pretty happy
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 130 and that is like right where i will be at a healthy bmi and thats what i am working towards !
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're looking for. For me personally, I started with a goal to get to 155 because that is the middle of my "healthy" weight range(I'm 5'10"). I'm there now, and I look alright, but now that I'm here I don't want to settle for "alright," I want to look the best I've ever looked! So now I'm thinking 140 and also looking to lower my body fat %. And we'll see once I get there how I feel.

So I guess my point is, set what ever goal seems reachable to you right now, and if you get there and you're happy with it, great! If not you can readjust your goals and keep going.
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    yea, the healthy bmi is what im gonna work on after i reach 150, i need to be in between 117-145, so it wont be to far off, im still gonna eat healthy and get exercise but im not gonna push myself as hard because i know what ive done already is awsome :),so as long as i reach my goal ill be happy, but heck yea taking a lil more off is gonna be pretty amazing too
  • dbilli
    dbilli Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Talk to one of the trainers at the gym. They will be able to tell you the best healthy weight for you. They have all kinds of assessments they can do. I'm 4'11". My 101.2- 110 was set by doing a body assessment. The biggest goal I have though is to lower my body fat percentage. The normal range for my age and height is 21-27%. That is where my health concerns fall. I am well above the normal range right now at 36.7%. Aside from that, I really don't care what my weight is. I was always told to pick a dress size and aim for that rather than a specific weight. If I weigh 150, and have 21% body fat, I'm happy. Hope this was helpful. It really seems a lot more rambling than I meant for it to! ;-)
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and decided 129lbs which is the lowest healthy weight I can be. I pick that weight because it makes me feel great and I love the way clothes fit on me. I have been maintaining that weight 4 months now.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I looked up MMA fighters my height who I thought looked good, and set my goals accordingly. I found 4 guys with my body type, and I have them all in a picture side by side. When I am feeling unmotivated, I pull up that pic, and it helps me remember why I am working so hard.

It helps me visualize.
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I found going to http://www.mybodygallery.com/ really helpful. You can look at real women that are the same height as you at different weights. You can even select a particular body type. Good luck.
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    I want to get to 150. Its well above my recommended weight, but I have never been thin my whole entire life and I don't want to be. As long as I'm healthy, I'm happy.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb Ii was told, take your height in CM and the last two digits are your rough weight, I'm 187cm and my target is 87kg apparently thats 2kg over according to states etc but I'd live with that :-D
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm current;y just trying to get under 160.. I'm 168.2... But I have my ticker set on 150.. Once I get there I'd like to maintain it for a little while then aim for 140-145... I weighed that when I was in the AF...
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Talk to one of the trainers at the gym. They will be able to tell you the best healthy weight for you. They have all kinds of assessments they can do. I'm 4'11". My 101.2- 110 was set by doing a body assessment. The biggest goal I have though is to lower my body fat percentage. The normal range for my age and height is 21-27%. That is where my health concerns fall. I am well above the normal range right now at 36.7%. Aside from that, I really don't care what my weight is. I was always told to pick a dress size and aim for that rather than a specific weight. If I weigh 150, and have 21% body fat, I'm happy. Hope this was helpful. It really seems a lot more rambling than I meant for it to! ;-)
    ^^^^This. My trainer did a specific body metric test on me, figuring out my % body fat, muscle, water, etc., and what my ideal weight should be. I am square shouldered and big boned and can carry a fair amount of muscle for a gal so the BMI numbers are way to loo for me. The drawbacks of the BMI seems to be that there is no adjustment for body style and skeletal structure.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I like the 5 foot, 100 lbs, then 5 lbs. for each additional inch formula. For someone 5'6, it puts you at 130 lbs. I'm a little lower than that, but am trying to build more muscle so I'd be okay with a lean 135. A good rule of thumb is to set small goals and then reevaluate how you feel/look.
  • roseantoinette1
    roseantoinette1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Hetty,
    I set my goal higher too, but that was more for my own personal motivation then any other reason. I'm also in my 50's but know that (I'm almost 5'5") weighing what I did at 20 is not realistic (126 lbs), so I gave myself a "mid-range" of 145...that's probably a good weight for me now. If I should get there I'll see if I still want to go down another 5 or 10 lbs, but it's much less stress to give yourself a very realistic, yet healthy weight. You're already half way to your goal which is really awesome! Keep up the good work!

Rose
  • MissingPixies
    MissingPixies Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb Ii was told, take your height in CM and the last two digits are your rough weight, I'm 187cm and my target is 87kg apparently thats 2kg over according to states etc but I'd live with that :-D

This makes a lot of sense... I just did the math and for me since I'm at 167cm (approx). That would make is 67kg or 149 lbs for my goal weight... which is 9 pound off from the goal weight I set up (140lbs-135lbs) and even at 149 lbs I will be at a healthy weight.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    That's what I was told too... as a general rule of thumb... although I think this works better or men than women.

I've set my Ultimate Goal as 65kg (I'm 1.64m) although I think that's possibly a bit on the skinny side for me. I'd be happy at 75kg ... so about another 20kg to go!

I calculated my calorie goal based on the TDEE for my Ultimate Goal weight using Mifflin-St.Joer equation.
  • sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is one that I've been before in my life and I was happy and comfortable at. I'm 5 ft 7 inches tall and my goal is 165 lbs at that weight I'm not to slim nor to chunky (thick) it's perfect for me I feel comfortable and can be as active as I need or want to be.:smile: