Anyone use the Y?

Options
The wife and I are considering joining the YMCA in the new year. For use of the gym and the added bonus of the pool.

It seems like a good choice for an out of shape couple who want to avoid "hard body" gyms where we might feel too judged and get put off.

Ayone here use the Y? Do you find it worth it? Any experiences or opinions (good or bad) you care to share?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I use the Y, not the greatest gym, but I have no real complaints.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love love love my Y! Great equipment, super nice staff, and challenging classes. Plus, there are lots of great youth programs and my kids love going to the Kidstuff area. Check with your employer or insurance company about discounts. My husband's employer pays for half of our family membership.
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use the Y, and personally, I think it is a very family friendly, easy-going gym. It has a little bit for everyone, and for the most part, people go to work out. There are about 15 YMCA's in the Twin Cities area, and I have been to about half of them at one point or another. Each is a little different in atmosphere, things available, etc. See if you can get a trial 5 days and see if you like it!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    YMCA's are locally owned and operated. They come in all kinds of flavors. Our area has 7 or 8 different YMCA's, I use two of them on a regular basis and each has their own culture. In the evenings in the weight room my Y could be considered a "hard body gym". However, the facilities are first rate and always expanding. There are tons of classes, and tons of stuff for the kids to do including camps in the summer.

It is a good choice for an out of shape couple IMO.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Our Y is great. We're lucky, it's almost brand new and was sponsored by a local store chain and a hospital so it has alot of good equipment and is very nice. We go 3 - 5 times a week for classes, weight lifting, swimming, hot tub, sauna etc.
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    I did for a while. The local Y's pricing seemed really high for it's usefulness. First you had to pay the membership fee, which wasn't bad in and of itself ($80 I think it was for family). Then there was a $7 a month to use the weight room. Then there was a $15 a month to use the cardio room. On top of that they charged us something like $5 per class for any zumba/les mills/spinning classes my wife wanted to take (DISCOUNT FROM THE $6 PER CLASS THEY CHARGE NON-MEMBERS!!!!!).

Their equipment looked like it came from a yard sale in the 80s, but hot damn it's painted town colors and they re-upholster it every year!

Top that with an unfriendly, uninterested, and often rude staff that thought they were doing me a favor by letting me in the door in the morning. Needless to say, I dropped that place like a bad habit.

**** the local YMCA as far as I'm concerned. YMMV
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    My local one is the newest one. Open concept so if feels pretty big. could use some more equipment for lifting but I undersand.

2 big b-ball courts, nice swimming and the staff are all pretty nice.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    apparently, Brad Marchand from the Boston Bruins, uses the Y in Charlestown. I think that is so bizarre...
  • aleciafeustel
    Options
    I love the ymca in my community, I work there part time (10 hours a month) and get my monthly membership for free:)
    I go to assorted classes and use the various equipment.
    We have a lot of staff to help and encourage all the members.
    On January 1st they waive joiner fees which is a great time to join.
    I highly recommend the YMCA:happy:
  • aleciafeustel
    Options
    I love the ymca in my community, I work there part time (10 hours a month) and get my monthly membership for free:)
    I go to assorted classes and use the various equipment.
    We have a lot of staff to help and encourage all the members.
    On January 1st they waive joiner fees which is a great time to join.
    I highly recommend the YMCA
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Yup I sure do. Its a good place to go. Plus your supporting other things not just a gym.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    GD double postings.....
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I did for a while. The local Y's pricing seemed really high for it's usefulness. First you had to pay the membership fee, which wasn't bad in and of itself ($80 I think it was for family). Then there was a $7 a month to use the weight room. Then there was a $15 a month to use the cardio room. On top of that they charged us something like $5 per class for any zumba/les mills/spinning classes my wife wanted to take (DISCOUNT FROM THE $6 PER CLASS THEY CHARGE NON-MEMBERS!!!!!).

Their equipment looked like it came from a yard sale in the 80s, but hot damn it's painted town colors and they re-upholster it every year!

Top that with an unfriendly, uninterested, and often rude staff that thought they were doing me a favor by letting me in the door in the morning. Needless to say, I dropped that place like a bad habit.

I guess that's a good example of them all being independently owned and operated.. The YMCA of Northwest NC is a group of about 10 or so Y's in a 4 county region that all have the same pricing structure. I am paying 36$ a month I believe for an individual... and yes, it can be 75-90$ for a family, but they don't make us pay extra for the classes. That's why I like it as opposed to a commercial gym.. i can drop in any time for a spinning class, yoga class etc. All included. And the cardio equipment is very new. I don't lift, so I don't have an opinion on the weights.

That sucks that your Y is not good, cause I love my Y. And you're right on the OP's point.. I don't feel like I need to be the Governator to walk in there. A fat guy sweating his hiney off on a treadmill is just fine.

Make surer to check your local Y's pricing. If you walk in there and start asking questions they will most likely take you for a tour and show you around. As Jsteffen said.. your mileage may vary.
  • wagreen
    wagreen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No I use to but it was better for me to buy a very good treadmill instead. I can do the weights at home and find other things to do at home.
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love the Y - my son had a membership, and all the programs were covered for him, so it made great sense. And you are supporting great programs.

I do find it a bit expensive, but there are corporate memberships too (group discounts) so check with your local Y to see if your employer qualifies...
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, I wasn't aware the pricing structures could vary from Y to Y.

And on the topic of "supporting other things, not just a gym", does anyone know if any Y funds go to supporting missionary work? While I can happily accept christian values and local charity I'm pretty strongly against evangelical missions and wouldn't really want my membership fees were supporting them.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I told freind who lived in another city that we joined the YMCA. He was floored because the YMCA where he lives is a run down shack. He was shocked to learn ours was a state of the art facility with new(er) equipment. There is also another YMCA in another town close to us that is not apart of the network we belong to. Their facilities are not as nice competing gyms. They've also been kind of rude to me every time I've called to ask a question. (Like can I use my membership there.)

So, While my YMCA experience has been awesome and I would recomend my YMCA Network to anyone. I know there are some bad apples out there and it just depends on which one is near you.

OK, so I stalked your profile. Here is your local Y's website; http://www.ymcamke.org/

Looks pretty solid to me. But check it out for yourself.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I joined my Y about 4 months ago and I LOVE it! My main reason was for the childwatch... I tried doing workout DVDs but don't have that much space and with my kids trying to "help" mommy it wasn't very easy. My facility is updated and clean, the people are soooo nice. Ask for a tour to check yours out!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I joined my Y about 4 months ago and I LOVE it! My main reason was for the childwatch... I tried doing workout DVDs but don't have that much space and with my kids trying to "help" mommy it wasn't very easy. My facility is updated and clean, the people are soooo nice. Ask for a tour to check yours out!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Most gyms let you work out for once for free before you sign up. Sometimes they even give you a free session with a trainer. I would encourage you to try several gyms in your area before you knock them.

I used to work out a YMCA and I loved it because there were all ages there and I never felt pressured. At the same time though, this meant there were kids everywhere. Swimming laps wasn't really even an option most of the time because the pool was so busy with kids. On the opposite end of the spectrum, a lot of seniors also worked out at the gym. I don't want to knock them because I think it's great they are staying healthy, but they were the rudest group at the gym. They DID NOT share machines, didn't let you work in with them, and just generally took their time and were selfish. They're retired and have the time, I on the other hand am busy and need to be a little bit more speedy about things. Also, the classes that were offered were pretty easy because they had to cater to such a wide variety of fitness levels. I don't want to take an hour long class and not break a sweat.

I now workout at a Gold's Gym and I prefer it. People there are more serious about staying in shape and they know you are too, so they get out of the way and share equipment more readily. The have a pool, and there is never a problem getting a lane. It's also about half the price of the YMCA and I can go to any of the three Gold's locations in my area. Two of the locations are 24 horus which is really nice. The YMCA that I went to closed early.

Really it just depends on what you're going for though. I encourage you to at least take a tour before you sign up anywhere.

Other things to consider are how close is it to you house? If it's farther away, you probably won't go as often. It's on right on your way home, it will be easy making you more likely to go.

Also ask about the contract. Some gyms have policies where if you cancel your monthly subscription, they charge you $200 or more. If you sign up and end up not liking it, you don't want to be stuck. One thing I really like about Gold's is there is no contract.

When you go try out some gyms ask a lot of questions (they all pay their sales people by comission so they push you- push back) and don't be afraid to ask some of the people working out there what their peeves are about the gym.