2»

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I think she thought you were sarcastic because this question has been asked like a 1000 times. While a newbie might not have seen all the posts about TOM, you're pretty active on the boards so you must have seen them right?
    I have no bandwidth left so I am back to dial up speed and it takes like 5 minutes to load...
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Huh. Good question. I just started on MFP, and I'm not sure how I'll handle that. I do know that as big as I am I can easily fluctuate 10 lbs or so in water retention. There's always this panic when I look at the scale and see the sudden jump in pounds, but then I go, oh yeah, I did want to eat the house this week, and man, did I crave salt. Yup, that time of month. And then I know it'll all go away in about a week, and I sorta let myself forget about it. I know how my body works during that time. Now, whether I'll log it. You know, I might not. Not right away. I'm so new that seeing my ticker go backwards might demotivate me. But after a week, if I haven't gotten back to where I was weight-wise and I think I've been eating sensibly, I'll log it. Because then I probably screwed up. But I'm guessing if I really keep to a calories in/calories out mind frame that week, I should be okay. -cross fingers-
  • katdouce
    katdouce Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ellie.. You're kidding right?

No! Never ever.. I give myself the week off.. and try not to strangle people :)

Umm I don't know if that was sarcasm or not :S but because i ALWAYS weigh more cos of water weight/sooo bloated then it goes away straight after my period I dunno if I should or not

Now I'm confused as to if you were being sarcastic or not... So confused!

Can we just agree that the answer is No don't weigh... and skip all the nonsense... please?:)

ps, what nonsense? :S

I think the sarcasm and nonsense refers to the fact that this very same question is posted EVERY DAY, if not every hour on this forum. Personally my philosophy is do what works for you, you don't need the permission of various strangers on a forum. :flowerforyou: There is, however, a lovely search function near the top of every forum page which is very handy for checking to see if what you're interested in knowing has been covered before. Just a thought!

To which I direct you here.. You'd appreciate this thread!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/422046-it-s-called-the-search-button

I just finished reading it...LMAO toooooooo friggin' funny!!!! somebuddy issss cranky LOL
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Warning: Rant.

Dear ladies, you've been menstruating for most of your teen and adult life. For most of your life, you've experienced the cramps, the water-weight gain, the mood fluctuations, the cravings for chocolate and yummy fatty/salty foods, and everything else that's part of the 'you-are-a woman-package-deal'. So why is it somehow alarming when you experience these things while dieting? And why do you obsess over a little bit of water-weight gain that shows up on the scale if/when you weigh yourself during your menses? Everyone experiences fluctuations in weight, even the men. It happens and the world isn't going to end because you gain a pound or two when your body is holding water.

/end rant.
  • threeforagirl
    Options
    YEP!
  • threeforagirl
    Options

Dear ladies, you've been menstruating for most of your teen and adult life. For most of your life, you've experienced the cramps, the water-weight gain, the mood fluctuations, the cravings for chocolate and yummy fatty/salty foods, and everything else that's part of the 'you-are-a woman-package-deal'. So why is it somehow alarming when you experience these things while dieting? And why do you obsess over a little bit of water-weight gain that shows up on the scale if/when you weigh yourself during your menses? Everyone experiences fluctuations in weight, even the men. It happens and the world isn't going to end because you gain a pound or two when your body is holding water.

/end rant.

A+
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

/end rant.

:L

I only have been for 2 years actually I was a late bloomer in that department /: ...
    Also, as I am on the pill for my acne I only get my period once every 4 months..
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

/end rant.

:L

I only have been for 2 years actually I was a late bloomer in that department /: ...
    Also, as I am on the pill for my acne I only get my period once every 4 months..

Okay... but you've still had 2 years to get used to being a woman of reproductive age. Still... sorry if I hurt your feelings. I'm constantly surprised at how often people ask the same questions about a normal biological process that's going to effect women in mostly the same way. There will be variations, of course, but your body weight is going to fluctuate as your hormones go up and down. Some women are effected mood-wise and with cravings for certain foods by the rise and fall of progesterone (and estrogen) too. It's just part of life. Its the price we pay for being a woman. As I like to joke- Damn Eve, for taking a bite of that apple first!

So to answer your question about should you weigh yourself during your menses? That depends on whether you're going to freak out about the water-weight gain. If you're prone towards freak outs over the number on the scale... then don't weigh yourself.

I sometimes weigh myself and sometimes don't... I don't really care whether the scale says my weight fluctuates by a few pounds. I track the over-all trend. If my weight doesn't drop in a month, I get grumpy (and I've been grumpy for 3 months now), but otherwise, I don't worry about it all that much.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I weigh myself once a month.
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Nevaaar.
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Initially I used to, to track how much I went up by.....and afterwards, how much I lost.

But not anymore, I wait till everything is over over overr and then a day or two until I step on the scale :)