Cookies are fine in moderation.

Options
I am currently under the exam crunch and it has been difficult to eat well. I have been diving face first into all the unhealthy things I usually avoid because it helps deal with the stress.

Today I went for a run and ate well throughout the day. So for dinner I had an excellent salad as well as chicken noodle soup. As a treat I bought a pack of Tate's Chocolate Chip Cookies. There are only three cookies in the packet and I was only planning on having one during dinner and maybe one later on.

I am stuck in the library and have been studying with the same few people. They kept discussing all the yummy things they would eat this evening and I kept telling myself a salad would be just as delightful. Well I bought my salad, chicken noodle soup and cookies and went to chow down in the study room. And one of the women in the room who had just ordered delivery of shrimp parmesan, penne pasta, and mozzarella sticks (yum) sees the cookies and says "what's the point of having salad if you're just going to eat cookies."

I was speechless, I really didn't know how to respond. So I said well "i eat a salad for dinner so i can have my cookie, i also ran this morning so i could have my cookie." It seemed to me not only rude but ridiculous that she thinks that the only people who can have cookies are those who don't eat well.

Cookies are fine in moderation.

Replies

• trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Agreed, anything is fine in moderation.
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    She's rude and stupid. You did right; cookies ARE fine in moderation, even more so if you're studying your b*tt off!!

I hope you enjoyed them :)
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    agreed. seems like she is the one with the problem and you are thinking about this very logically. Good for you.
  • emily2tx
    Options
    You are absolutely right on! Stick with your guns, you are doing great! Also you could say that the cookies don't fill you up or have the nutrition that the salad has, so you choose to pair it. Something healthy and something that tastes good without ruining your great day! Most everything is fine in moderation:)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Cookies are OK even if you eat a LOT of them. You just have to exercise more to burn them away. Some people are more willing than others to work for their calories LOL

I hope you told her to shove it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Duh. The point of the salad IS so you can have the cookie!!! :drinker:
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It cracks me up when friends/family who have no clue about fitness or eating healthy decide to chime in with their little 2 cents on what I'm eating -or not eating- :laugh: I just ignore them and keep working my plan!
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Agreed, anything is fine in moderation.

Hear, hear!
    It's all about conscious eating! I have to remind myself that and head to bed instead when my poor body starts craving for sugar past midnight due to sleep deprivation :sick:
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    angry-cookie-monster.jpg
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    People ALWAYS do this when they notice you're eating healthier. So stupid.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I always eat a few cookies here and there...and I'm still losing weight.

A WORLD WITHOUT COOKIES?!

That cookie monster picture is hilarious. lol
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of cookies in moderation. Heck, I'm a fan of cookies out of moderation on a bad day:)

Seriously, the thing that has kept me sane and on track for the most part is finally realizing that I don't have to give up all the foods I love, I just can't have all of them all the time. Anyone who thinks I'm never going to have a Reese's Cup or a margarita ever again is out of their friggin' mind:)
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used my leftover calories yesterday on chips and a cider :embarassed: Every once in a while is fine.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow, that lady sounds very rude. She's probably one of those people that fail at losing weight because they eat 800 calories a day of lettuce for awhile, lose some pounds, then immediately go back to their old habits (thus gaining it all back) which is why she incorrectly thinks that way. I think you planned it out perfectly, and I know personally if I didn't fit things like cookies or other delicious foods into my daily calorie "budget" every once in awhile, I would probably go crazy. Ridiculous that she believes eating a salad and eating a cookie are mutually exclusive. :huh:

I don't think you owed her an explanation for what you eat and why. I probably wouldn't have been able to have been as calm in my response as you were...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Next time say:

"What's the point of opening your mouth if you're just going to ask a tedious question?"

She sounds just as bad as those people making snarky comments about fast food and diet soda.
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    It's totally fine!! I always eat one sweet thing a day so that i don't feel deprived! I try to share it if it has too many calories or fat or carbs. Otherwise, i just work it out into my net calories for the week!
  • vt2200a
    vt2200a Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! For a moment there she almost had me thinking I was crazy.

I love the cookie monster picture!
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I save room in my cals everyday for popcorn and/or chocolate dang near everyday! No need in depriving yourself! And geez! I would think a salad and cookies would be much better than the thousands of calories she was shoving in her face! RUDE! But worse? ILL-INFORMED!
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the Cookie Monster pic!! I hope you enjoyed your cookies...you most definitely deserved them!! :drinker:
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of cookies in moderation. Heck, I'm a fan of cookies out of moderation on a bad day:)

Seriously, the thing that has kept me sane and on track for the most part is finally realizing that I don't have to give up all the foods I love, I just can't have all of them all the time. Anyone who thinks I'm never going to have a Reese's Cup or a margarita ever again is out of their friggin' mind:)

Amen to that! Everything is fine in moderation. I find that if I deprive myself of the foods I love then I am much more likely to "fall off the wagon".