Little Calorie Cutters

Options
Hey Alls you alls,
You know when you see those commercials, and their like "Park further away from the store and you'll be healthy!". We're all like, umm, nope. Not how it works. Sure, you have to do more than just park further away or walk up the stairs, but those can't hurt....

So, I was wondering, what do you all do to cut a few extra calories? It could be extercise, food-wise, or just general mini-health tidbits.

For example, when I go out to Subway, I have them scoop out the lining of my bread. Not only am I taking out those calories, but overall the sandwich tastes so much better because I'm not eating , as I call it, the sandwich fluffing.

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I stopped putting sugar in my coffee because I wasn't willing to count the calories for it.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond milk and truvia, solely so I could maintain my morning cup of coffee. I used to use coffeemate, etc.! Also, I swap starchy veggies like corn and potatoes for greens like green beans and squash. It is actually quite a bit of a calorie difference! Never thought about removing the sammitch fluff, good idea!
  • Firefighter_Ray
    Firefighter_Ray Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm going today to get some PB2 (all natural pb?) powdered stuff that is supposed to taste great and 1/4 of the calories. I'll let you know. Putting all the junk food my kids have out of sight is super important. Not carrying cash so I don't buy little snacks when I want them, I hate using my debit card for small purchases. Can't wait to see more tips...good thread :drinker:
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    - i have cut out sugar. occasional i use the zero calorie sweetners in my tea or coffee
    - i have also cut out drinking juices/sodas. i drink tea or water with my meals. i would rather have a very small slice of cake than a glass of juice/soda. drinking your calories is such a waste
    - i have cut down on alcohol for the same reason as above. i only drink alcohol on special occasions.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I eat less food
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    I have a desk job. I keep a small watter bottle and fill it multipe times - the water cooler is a little farther away from my desk.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like to take my lunch at work no earlier than 12:15pm. I don't get off work till 6pm, so I don't like taking my lunch too early I like to break the day in half...anyhow! If it's around 11:30 and I'm getting a little hungry but want to stay on my schedule I'll have a cup of tea with splenda and that will normally get me through until it's lunchtime...and it's no extra calories!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    No soft drinks at all.

Sweetener in tea and only about 1 glass a day.

I have been a real Ranch dressing eater because I just couldn't find a fat free or a lite dressing that I liked, but just about two weeks ago found Ken's Raspberry Walnut and Raspberry Pecan dressing and I like those, so have now cut my dressing cals down and maybe someday can cut lower with lemon or such, but one step at a time.

I try to keep fruit and raisins handy so that when I do want a snack I don't grab whatever is available because that will usually be "not so healthy."

Trying to reserve some calories for nighttime eating becuase I'm a nighttime snacker; I wake up in the middle of the night and eat, so if I've saved some calories I don't blow it, but I don't always succeed.

Always eat a big salad with every meal!!
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Some days I have low carb yogurt for breakfast, which is full of protein that keeps me full all morning. It's only 60 calories vs 130 for oatmeal or cold cereal.

I eat soup for lunch or dinner for a lower calorie meal. Fills me up and its tasty.

Chew gum when I feel hungry but its not meal time.

Measure just about everything. It's amazing just how much over we are when we don't measure but think we are getting it right.
  • withoutaname
    withoutaname Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've cut out sugar (as in, adding sugar to my coffee/tea) and I think that has had a huge impact on me. I also very seldom drink soft drink now.

There is pretty much no junk food in my house anymore, and if I ever do have some I always make sure I'm still within my calorie intake. I rarely have the opportunity to get any anyway, as I don't go out much.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    (in no paticular order of how I do it)

-Switch to honey dijon or plain mustard and ditch the may when making sandwiches (even if you're making tuna. normally most people mix in mayo, use honey dijon mustard instead. It's more tasty!)
    -Look at the calories in your bread. Some whole wheat bread has 10 less calories than another brand
    -Eat medium or large eggs instead of XL. 10 less calories.
    -Switch to skim milk
    -Have 2 mandarines instead of a banana. You feel like you're eating more and it's less calories
    -Consider switching yogurt brands if they're made with the same ingredients but one has less calories than another
    -Walk on your lunch break.
  • amy_jos91
    Options
    - Stop adding sugar to tea/coffee
    - Buy a good non stick saucepan and stop using oils to cook
    - Cut down on gluten
    - Stop drinking carbonated drinks, cordial, and juices (try making your own juice)
    - Try an egg white omelet (2 egg whites = 30cal) you can always add some zucchini or carrot to add taste
    - Cut down on dairy

Hope this helps because it sure helped me! xx