Camping food!

Options
Hi all

My partner and I are going camping from 27 December until 2 January. We normally go to the supermarket and stock up on stuff to take (obviously!) and our space for food which needs to be cold is pretty limited. Also, the level of 'cold' isn't that great, as it's just a chilly bin (cooler?) with ice in it.

Has anybody got suggestions for healthy food options to take? Packet food is best, I suppose and obviously fruit like apples and stuff that don't need to be refrigerated.

Replies

• shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You might want to try a search on Food and Nutrition, but one reply I got when answering this question during our summer was to make a bunch of healthy chili, put it in ziploc bags, freeze them, and put those in your cooler. They will keep the rest of your stuff cool, and as they thaw, you can heat them up.

Have fun! I love camping!
  • ewejewel
    ewejewel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Is it winter or summer where you are right now....feel free to PM me...I camp in both seasons and would be happy to offer suggestions. Have fun....I also love camping!!
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My partner and I LOVE camping..We live in Wisconsin and right now its too damn cold for camping. We do a lot of camping in the summer and finding healthy stuff is a struggle. I usually take veggies and low cal dip..fruit and fruit dip.. I can't wait to hear what others say too
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we can get these pre-packaged bags of coleslaw which get busted out for every meal, and I LOVE fruit and veg, so will be stocking up on some of that!
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    what about peanut butter & canned meats like tuna or chicken for protien? These dont need to be kept cold, be sure to take a can opener. pair up fruits with nuts, ganola(bars), & trail mix to make for a good snack.
    Our camping season is over (2cold) and can't wait for spring, have a great time!