100 days later

Options
Well, logged in to finish yesterday's food diary and enter breakfast...MFP noted 100 days of logging, so it seems a fitting time to post an update to my progress.

This journey started after I got back some bloodwork for a life insurance policy update earlier this year. After all, I was 40...needed to do that dreaded male (don't laugh ladies, I know you think we're sissies about it) 40-yr old physical. So, in August, I had the physical done...results received on September 9, and I was horrified...at least after I did some research.

See, I knew I was overweight--I mean, c'mon I couldn't snap any of my jeans...had to zip up as far as possible, then hold 'em closed with my belt (one I had bought not all that long ago) on the last hole--but hey, happens to all of us right? We slow down physically, work is busy, kids keep us busy, blah, blah, blah...

I went online to see how to interpret my bloodwork, and there the bad news was...

cholesterol 273
triglycerides 534
HDL 27
Chol/LDL ratio 10.1
LDL -- unable to calculate since total chol too high :P
weight 279
height 5' 10"

No surprise to those who've seen doctor's regularly--we never went as kids unless we were sick more than 3 days running, or had bleeding...that we couldn't stop ourselves :) -- or who have had blood checks done at a health fair or something like that, but I was a mucho primo candidate for heart attack, stroke, etc. Did I mention that I was diagnosed with sleep apnea last June? If you didn't know...that alone makes a person MUCH more likely to have heart attacks, strokes, etc. anyway, without any weight/cholesterol problems.

It was time to acknowledge the truh that I hadn't wanted to face. I had to do something, or my wife would most likely be a widow in the near future and my 2 children (5 yr old son and 13 yr old daughter) fatherless. Even if I didn't croak...what kind of example was I teaching the 2 people I was given the responsiblity to raise?

I had heard about MFP from some people at church and went to the website to check it out. Well, as a numbers kind of guy, I was hooked from then on. As many of you know...and many more will find out---it's really not that hard...once you see what you're consuming, calorie-wise, it just becomes about making better choices, not starving yourself, or even depriving yourself of everything you've ever loved.

Admittedly, at first, basically it sucked---but mostly for self-imposed restrictions--since my chol and tri's were so high, I modified the recommended daily amount to under 100g a day if I splurged, and under 50g on a normal basis. This meant, to my horror...almost no meat...and my old mantra was, no meat? no meal!

I found substitutes (I LOVE Progresso Light Beef Pot Roast, tastes SO meaty, and I don't really have sodium issues), and found other ways to reward myself...3 oreos at the end of the day...eaten verrrrry slowly...heaven! Each day I stayed under a minimum of 100 calories under target, though most days it was more like 300 calories and started with walking for cardio to avoid the shin splints I usually get when I just start off running (plus more calories on my allowance). After 2 weeks of walking daily for at least 45 mins (4.5 m/h pace), I added in some basic strength training 3 days a week, alternating cardio--pretty much whole body--hit each major muscle group once for 3 sets---that went on for about 4 weeks, then instead of walking, I started on the ease into 5k app. Had one week off with sinus crud (but kept under calorie goal...without exercise, bleh!), then back at it.

Nov 4 was my physical...I went in hoping that I had made progress...here were the results after 54 days on MFP

cholesterol 217
triglycerides 128
HDL 33
Chol/LDL ratio 6.6
LDL -- 168
weight 247
height 5' 10"

Now running/walking 5+ mi under an hour (week 6 of C2 5k starts next week) without shin splints (yay!), just finished week 3 of P90x (just using strength portions alternating with my running), and have hit a landmark for me...

50 lbs gone!
Yep, down to 229

I go back in the spring to see my doctor and check my blood levels--she wanted me to start plavix for my borderline high cholesterol and because I don't think she thought the initial weight loss I told her about would continue...especially with T'giving and Christmas holidays. I'm a stubborn fellow and though I picked up the prescription, I still haven't taken it--hope I'm not wrecking my heart being stubborn, but I just know that if I dropped the #'s 56 pts in the first 54 days, then it has to still be dropping...right? Well, she'll fuss at me for not taking it, but hopefully the new blood results will mean I shouldn't be on the meds at all.

Thanks for listening/reading...and for all the success stories I've read the whole time I've been on--they are motivating, inspirational, and heartening to me and everyone else who reads them.

Let's all keep chugging.

Replies

• VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What an awesome story!! Keep it going and enjoying that long, healthy life you are earning for your family and your self!!
  • lollye51
    lollye51 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Fantastic achievement! You can do it.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Wow, that drop in triglycerides is especially impressive!!! I bet your A1c that tracks risk for diabetes went way down, too. That is so fantastic!
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    keep up the great work!
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Gj
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations. Very inspiring. Thank you.
  • blkmale67
    blkmale67 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!! Way to work hard and see results!
  • Scarbu
    Scarbu Posts: 15
    Options
    Great job!
    I'm having the same issue with shin splints...did those go away as you kept at it?
  • Lynntrbl
    Options
    This was one of the best posts I have read so far. Though my journey has really just begun, I am inspired by these stories and you have no idea how it helps me get up and remind myself what I am working towards. I was advised how close I am to being diagnosed with (gasp!) Diabetes at my last check up with my doctor about 6 weeks ago, 15 lbs lost, but this really helps me to see that this is not just a temporary change but a new lifestyle and that I am not the only one out there, recognizing it for what it is.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This is truly a success story! Congratulations on your journey and for pushing yourself every day. People like you are admirable!!!
  • GytIrDun
    GytIrDun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @Scarbu

Yes, the shin splints did go away--other than start with not doing too much, I think the most important advice I followed was...

Get good shoes!

I wear a 3E to 4E depending on the brand and have flat arches (hmmm wonder how much of that is from being overweight?), so good shoes that fit weren't cheap. I went to a New Balance store (their brand tended to have the widest selection for me in Rack Room/Shoe Depot and such) and got fitted with some good quality running shoes for flat arches and wide feet. I hate spending money on clothes/shoes...they're 'perishable' to my mind instead of durable goods, but I must say that without those $200+ shoes, I probably would've had more problems with my feet and shins than I did.

To make them last, they only go on the treadmill and exercise room floor.
  • nicoleh82
    Options
    I can tell that you are very determined and motivated. Well done!

PS, as a daughter whom lost her father at age 4 to a heart attack, I'm very glad that you are making this effort to be there for your kids as they grow up. :happy:
  • kenscarlson
    kenscarlson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good work, very inspirational. People often get a wake up call and never change, be proud of taking that stand. My advice is look for that other thing in your life you want to fix but haven't done anything about because it seems too big. Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!