Question for artists and crafts people

catwrangler
catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
If a local non-profit animal shelter approached you about donating a piece of your work so they could sell or auction it off in a fundraising effort, would you give them something? Said animal shelter would promise a mention in their newsletter and a link to your work on their website. A listing of artist's names could possibly appear in a newspaper ad and flyers to be posted around town.

I ask first because I'm not at all sure how working artists feel about giving their work away, even for a cause. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    For me, it would depend on how I was asked. If done in a considerate manner, I'd find something to put up, but I probably wouldn't do anything custom, especially at this time of year.
  • keekee1804
    keekee1804 Posts: 102 Member
    I absolutely would! Great way to give back, see how people like your art, and get your name out there!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    I'm sure there would be plenty of artists who would help. I wish I had something to donate to you! Keep me posted in the future when/if you are needing donations like this.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    I definitely would. But only for an animal shelter or other animal related cause that I believe in.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Absolutely...
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    I absolutely would! Great way to give back, see how people like your art, and get your name out there!

I agree with keekee
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    I definitely would for a cause I believe in and wish to support.
  • I absolutely would! And you don't have to get only "professional" artists. There are tons of people who use Etsy, local craft shows or fairs, etc. to sell their art but are doing it more for a hobby. I'm sure they would be particularly likely to donate a piece of their artwork. Additionally, a lot of art people are also pet/animal people! WONDERFUL IDEA!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,304 Member
    Absolutely, if it was for something I was passionate about.
  • catwrangler
    Thank you so much for the response! :flowerforyou:
  • moonblu
    moonblu Posts: 19 Member
    yes for the animals =)
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    i would! this is a great way of selflessly giving back. being an artist is already about thinking outside of the box, freeing your mind, creating, experimenting, an artist with a "whats in it for me?" mentality has lost sight of the dream. art is for everyone.
  • catwrangler
    bumping for the night time crowd :bigsmile:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Absolutely! Doesnt have to be a large piece but it gets your work out there.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Sure I'd donate if it was for a legit cause, and it would get my name out in the public eye in a positive way.

I guess my response is more just about donating to charity in general.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    I definitely would for a cause I believe in and wish to support.

This.. and I have :)

I'm a photographer by trade, hobby and passion. I donate a fair bit of my time and materials to not only local animal charity ( with the local humane society taking pictures of the sweethearts needing homes, donating work or time for fundraisers, or at my vet office doing portraits for families who may be losing their furry family members in the near future) but also with my local "moms" group to raise money to support events and club functions. It makes a big difference to those who receive and it makes my own heart feel better by helping out in a way that really takes not a lot of time or effort to do.
  • Definitely! I make jewelry (among other things), and donated a set for an auction raising money for scholarships for college kids ... it brought in $80 for a good cause! They also put my business cards out there, and a lot of the people involved with the auction have purchased other items from me. If nothing else, it's a way to get your name out there, and if it's a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, you can write off your donation on your taxes ;-)
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Yep, definitely I would. Not only does it benefit the cause, but it also benefits you as the artist in getting your work out in the public eye and getting your name out there.