New at this

Options
Hello, Just learned of my fitness pal 4 days ago. Can someone tell me how not to snack at night? Seems to be my hardest time. Since June of 2009 I lost 65lbs. , in the last 2 months or so I can not get satisified. I am hoping this will help me get back on track. I have gained a few lbs and I cannot continue to gain. Holidays are going to be rough aren't they? Any tips on the night snacking?

Replies

• pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    What do you snack on?
  • samatalma
    Options
    Hi! Try water!! I do that. But I still snack at night, but I make sure it's something like popcorn so it's not too terrible.
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water sometimes you aren't actually hungry and if you have to have a snack get fruits or vegetables. At first you just have to be strict about it to break the habit of snacking to much try planning your meals and snacks beforehand. Good luck on your journey :)
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth after you eat dinner. Also drink lots of water.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree, try water.

And if you have to snack, make them "smart" snacks. Like carrots, celery, and fresh fruit veges, really.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    Drinking a glass of water does well to shut my rumbling stomach up. Otherwise, if you want snacks, try going for the portioned 100 calorie bags of goldfish or baked chips, veggies, berries, fruit, etc. For me, I have found that forcing myself to not get up and snack for a few nights starts to break me of the habit. Midnight snacking for me has always been a self-trained behavior and not a genuine hunger. Have you consumed enough calories for the day? Are you under a lot of stress? Also, try distracting yourself from food by doing something else, like reading, going to another room, etc. Don't watch TV, because it's too easy to snack in front of the tube. I can play video games to distract myself and then pass out in the bedroom, but I've conditioned myself to overcome the "gamer nerves" of staying awake for a while after playing.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I like unsalted almonds and fruit, or maybe some greek yogurt. It all depends on what you normally crave. You want to pick something healthy that still fulfills whatever it is your body is craving.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    if you're genuinely hungry, then eat. But like a lot of the other posters said, eat something low in calories if you don't have a lot left over.
  • mprosenbalm
    Options
    thank you, I will try more water after dinner, but then I be up all during the night.
  • mprosenbalm
    Options
    I snack on 100 calorie popcorn and 100 cookies and chex mix. There is just some reason I can't seem to get satisified and this happens during the day, also.
  • mprosenbalm
    Options
    My biggest fear is starting to gain the weight back I have already lost. The things I eat are healthy for the most part, I just can't seem to get enough these days. Maybe I am deficient in something. I have an appointment with my NP in January, mabye she can shed some light on this.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If you are only having a 100 calorie snack at night and you plan for it I don't really see it as a bad thing! A little bit of something you like may keep you from binging! If you are worried about snacking at night out of habit when you watch TV not because you are not hungry then you could try chaging your routine for a bit so you get out the habit - keeping yourself busy normally stops the mindless eating. If you are hungry could be your body is telling you something! If you are craving sweet stuff it may be your body tricking you into feeding it with sugary food - the more you eat the more you want! I hardly eat 'treats' anymore and have been amazed at the willpower it gives me when sweet treats are around! If you can give us an better idea of what you think the issue is maybe we can help you out with some tricks we have picked up along our own journey!
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello, Just learned of my fitness pal 4 days ago. Can someone tell me how not to snack at night? Seems to be my hardest time. Since June of 2009 I lost 65lbs. , in the last 2 months or so I can not get satisified. I am hoping this will help me get back on track. I have gained a few lbs and I cannot continue to gain. Holidays are going to be rough aren't they? Any tips on the night snacking?

Do you think it's habit or genuine hunger? Maybe your evening meal isn;t satisfying you enough - are you eating balance of slow-burn foods eg wholewheat pasta/rice/potatoes + large portion of veg - fibre that should fill you up and enough protein to keep you going? What are you doing in the evenings? Are you ending up sitting in front of the TV and getting physically restless? >> wanting to snack? maybe you should try doing something slightly more stimulating or that occupies your hands.

Also, I find sipping hot water, or herbal tea helps settle feelings of hunger (not that I'm an expert at this mind you!). If you have to snakc you could try olives (in brine not oil), oatcakes (these are Scottish so you may not have them in the US), fruit - eg slices of an apple, a couple of dry crackers... But maybe try staying with the feeling of hunger/craving for a little longer each time so that you get used to it and IT gets used to not being satisfied right away... Just a few suggestions! 8)