Using XBox Kinect for exercise

Options
In general I'm a very busy person. I work full time (start at 7 AM!!!) and, although I don't have kids, I do have a house and a husband to go to in the evenings. So I get home after a long day's work with zero energy left and use what I have left to cook, wash dishes, iron, clean after the dogs (3 of them), etc, etc., etc...... you get the picture. Anyway, I was never the sporty type so you can imagine how appealing the idea of doing exercise is for someone like me who works nonstop all day everyday.

However, I have always been big on video games and the Kinect comes out. I can't get enoguh of games like Dance Central and let me tell you it really makes you work up a sweat. There are other fitness games which I honestly haven't bought but look pretty good.

I try to play non stop about an hour everyday and it's great because I'm actually enjoying myself and relaxing after a long day.

However, some people have told me that's not real exercise. What do you think? Is it really an option when you're trying to lose weight?

Replies

• alexias9
    alexias9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i heard dancing is better for you. it makes you burn stomach fat faster. i know from watching dancing with the stars and biggest loser, people seemed to lose weight faster in shorter amount of time from dancing than just working out. plus dancing works out muscles you don't tend to work out with weights or exercise. i say go for it!!! if you enjoy it and it gets you moving and burnig calories then who cares if it's exercise or not!
  • mommygirl81
    Options
    I use Wii Fit and I sweat a lot while doing yoga and the strength exercises. My HRM says I'm burning calories so I count it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Who told you it's not exercise? What do they think the word exercise means?
  • MichaelBoerman1
    Options
    I have Wii Fit and I think it's pretty dumb. You don't work very hard at all and whatnot.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    When I need a funner form of exercise to do because I feel burned out on the extreme stuff, I will have a dance central day. I can burn 400 calories in just over an hour. Less than the extreme stuff but still a good amount for what I am doing.
    It's exercise and fun rolled all up in one.
  • silandena
    silandena Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    About 9 years ago I used to do semi pro hula dancing and I didn't have weight problems. So it sounds logical to me.
  • silandena
    Options
    When I need a funner form of exercise to do because I feel burned out on the extreme stuff, I will have a dance central day. I can burn 400 calories in just over an hour. Less than the extreme stuff but still a good amount for what I am doing.
    It's exercise and fun rolled all up in one.

Its much better than not doing exercise because you're simply not in the mood for it.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I use my wii fit, wii cardio gold's gym, wii biggest loser, wii jillian michales. All of those gets my heartrate up and I sweat. It's considered a fun way to workout.
  • silandena
    Options
    I use my wii fit, wii cardio gold's gym, wii biggest loser, wii jillian michales. All of those gets my heartrate up and I sweat. It's considered a fun way to workout.

Do you feel it has helped?
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Who told you it's not exercise? What do they think the word exercise means?

Exactly my thought. :laugh:

I just got a Kinect for my birthday. I'm impressed with its technology, and the games are pretty fun. Even my bf has played it, and he isn't a gamer at all.

Yes, it's exercise.
    Yes, it can help with weight loss.
    No, it is not the ONLY thing that will help OR destroy weight-loss progress.
  • k_pickle
    k_pickle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dance Central is one of my favorite things! I just joined a challenge that begins 12/02/12, and it requires 4, 1 hr sessions of exercise, and I plan on Dancing! lol
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just got Dance Central 2 yesterday (waiting on the first one to arrive still) and wow, it was ridiculously fun! I played it for about 4 hours straight and I am so sore today lol.

I believe that any movement at all is good. If you're moving and you're having fun, that is all that matters. Sure it isn't the most intense workout compared to going on a crosstrainer, but if you don't have the time and you're an achievement hog like me, you will LOVE it.

My only gripe with Dance Central 2 is that you can't enter in your weight/height, so I am not sure how accurate the calories are?

The Your Shape series looks good though :) And Zumba looks super fun.
  • Celiamariec
    Options
    Count it! If you are moving and sweating, you are burning calories!

I just bought my nephew the Kinect for Christmas, and made sure to pick up whatever the new dance game is. I plan on buying the Biggest Loser for it also. I'm sure this will be a great way to burn calories while spending time with the little one. :bigsmile:
  • pam538
    pam538 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I play Kinect Adventures and were a heart monitor wrist band that tells how many calories you burn. I burned 1006 calories when I played for 65 min. As long as you are moving and getting your heart rate up you are burning calories and that sounds like exercise to me.
  • veganMomto7
    veganMomto7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is exercise! R U Kidding me people who would say not? R U Moving? R U having Fun? You are burning calories. Enough said..
  • Andylee63
    Andylee63 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    We are hoping to get Dance Central 2 and Yourshape 2012 in the new year..

We are also looking for workout partners for The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout if any one is interested..

The gamertag is: LTCI STINGER 01
    Yes it is in capitols.

Anyone interested please either PM or add as a friend on XBOX

Thanx