activity level?

Hi All,

Probably this has been posted many times already, but I'm struggling with it now... sorry for not being original.

I'm getting close to my goal weight, thus I'm slowly increasing my calories till I get to maintenance. The thing is, the maintenance goal depends on my activity level and I'm not sure what to set there.

I'm a graduate student, getting a PhD in chemistry. That means I have days when I'm all day on my feet, working in the lab. I also have days that I fully spend at my computer, working up my data. I run 4-5 times a week, and also do some strength training 2-3 times a week.

So my question is: should I set my activity level to sedentary and eat back my exercise calories or should I set it to lightly (or even moderately) active?

I'd really appreciate some feedback :)

Have a great Saturday!

Replies

• Alli_b
    Alli_b Posts: 7 Member
    I think the one they describe as for a nurse... you don't do any strenuous activity, but you are on your feet a lot and take the stairs all the time. The activity level is not supposed to include your exercise if you log that (otherwise it is counted twice). I had mine at the most sedentary because of all the time I spent sitting or leaning over the laser table, but you are on your feet much more. Besos!!!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    From what you describe, I would put yourself as 'lightly active' but still log your exercise.

The MFP activity level is sort of confusing!!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    I am in a similar situation -- I am studying radiography so some days are spent up on my feet in the hospital, and others are spent sitting doing homework.

I have my settings set to sedentary and I log my workouts. I don't log hospital days as 'workouts', I consider any of those calories burned 'bonus' calories.
  • seanlilly
    seanlilly Posts: 10 Member
    I agree with determined.. you still go lightly active...Congrats on the goal weight! ...but I believe now is the time to have fun when your doing it.. you are so close that is awesome..