Zumba & Yoga - Ladies this stuff is HARD workout !

Options
first a little background, I am 44yr old man, in my younger days used to a lot of weight lifting, martial arts and stuff (nooooo i did not dress up like bruce lee after my teenage years :smile: ). So got married gave up all working out and started family life (don't bash me on this just yet.. i know many family men workout and stuff.. wait for the good stuff if you are going to bash me :happy: ), anyways.. went from 190lbs to 240lbs .. got divorced and found plenty of free time so started to workout again and lost 25+ lbs and am in that roller coaster (up and down on the weight)..

recently a few of my buddies said to me.. dude.. you are a single guy in your 40s..stop the gym BS.. go to Zumba and Yoga that is where the ladies are at .. both work out and also get to know the ladies.. being tired of the usual gym scene where everyone is super fit (no clue why they go to the gym every day if they are that fit :-) ) I went to Yoga first.. then Hot Yoga and was like WOW.. this is going to be good... attractive ladies, 90mins.. mirrors everywhere (OK you can start bashing me now .. :laugh: ) .. but BOY I was wrong .. this Hot Yoga stuff is SOOOOOOO freaking hard to do.. first few sessions I thought I was going to pass out .. my eyes were getting blurry and I couldn't even see anyone in the room, all I could think of was to pray to god to let me live so I can get out of that hot room... strangely enough a few sessions later, I go there hoping there are no attractive ladies there so I can get my yoga in and enjoy the benefits.. but must tell you ladies .. this Hot Yoga stuff is TOUGH! .. i am 100% sure most of those buff guys in the gym will die in the Hot Yoga class...

so next I went to Zumba class (Yess.. at recommendation of my buddies) .. stupid me, I can't even dance what the hell I am doing at a Zumba class other than the obvious.. I told to myself I will do this, I can do this.. well that stuff is so hard that I walk out so sore the next day that I walk like robo-cop for a day for two..

morale of this story is

1. Power to the ladies who do Hot Yoga and Zumba .. there is a reason you ladies are so fit in those classes. That is ONE tough workout

2. if you are a recently divorced man in your 40s DO NOT listen to your buddies who are also in their 40s, married and not in shape. They have NO CLUE! although they might want to live through you thinking how the scene might be at Zumba or Yoga .. IGNORE them! :-)

Replies

• sheltielover
    sheltielover Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    so cute!! and funny! haha!
    good for you!

i think you should keep it up :) the ladies will be impressed you are sticking it out!
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    so cute!! and funny! haha!
    good for you!

i think you should keep it up :) the ladies will be impressed you are sticking it out!

I agree! We are always impressed when guys are in our zumba class. They never last for more than one class, we thought it was because they felt it was for women. But maybe the workout is too tough! I can't wait to share this story with the ladies in my class.

Thanks you actually boosted my confidence a bit! I do zumba 4 times a week.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's awesome to hear a man admit that what many men regard as "girly workouts" are hard. I agree about sticking it out, it will be good for you and probably impress some of the ladies.

Also, fit people go to the gym every day because that is how you get and STAY fit. Plus, some people really like working out. (I'm not super fit, but I do fall into the like working out camp.)
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    hehe - great post, and thanks for noticing how tough it is! :)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    This made me laugh soooo incredibly hard!! You go!!! :drinker:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Yoga is my primary remaining form of cardio. I do 90 minute classes 1-3 times a week and am still always amazed at how much I get out of it.

We just bought the Wii Zumba (2?) game for the whole family as a gift "from Santa" but haven't cracked it yet (obviously). I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. Currently I'm a Reception Dancer (I only dance at weddings after about 6 drinks) but I do enjoy it and if I felt more comfortable doing it, I'm sure I'd do it more lol.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yes, thanks for posting this. I get tired of hearing people say that Zumba is not a real workout, or not as much of a workout as other things, ect. :explode: Zumba, like many other group fitness classes, it depends on how hard you try. If you go in there and really do it--it IS a fantastic workout that does create results.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Thanks for noticing and posting! Zumba is my favorite full body workout and certainly work! Every muscle of the body is used and then some. Its made me stronger, leaner and more defined. Its hard but so fun simultaneously. Funny that you speak of Yoga too. Traditionally my least favorite however I have been thinking to try Yoga again since I am finding exercise easier at a lesser body weight and it would be totally opposite any other type of workouts I currently do.
  • deshea_d
    Options
    This is hilarious. At my gym all the guys just workout in view of Zumba to watch and meet women.. it is so obvious. Kudos to you for actually entering the class instead of watching from. I take Zumba once a week for some variety.

You should also try Spin. It is also a wonderful workout- by far my favorite. This is the one class in my gym that men seem to actually take.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! I literally laughed out at your post, funny way of describing your hot yoga experience!

I am so glad a man actually states how hard those workouts are... Most men do not even realize what effort we put into them, they think it's some easy girlie stuff!

And do go on with your practice, ladies loooooove that!
  • TonyValentino
    TonyValentino Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all the ladies for the great post.. today started a new day for me.. The plan is

Hot Yoga 3 x a week
    Zumba 2 x a week

Got myself one of them BodyBugg workout devices that you see on TV, hope to get it in soon and find out how many calories I really burn

Going to hot yoga in about 1hr..