Those with kids...

Options
Do you find it harder to diet, having to prepare their food?

I maintain, what I think to be, a balanced diet for my daughter,but I still allow her her treats. And other foods she get's to eat (that I don't, lol), like macaroni and cheese, pastas, grilled cheese, etc, for me, make it a little harder.

Also, I always find myself stealing bites, but don't log them. I once read that, of course, all these bites add up so you should count them. Do you log them? I don't feel like I eat enough to make a huge difference, but I bet it's between 50-100 calories.

Replies

• sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I find it tough.Especially the snack foods he loves. Chips, ice cream and snack cakes. I would love to stop buying them but he is only 4 and IMO should be allowed those things. He does eat a lot of fruit as well. I do still bites after he is done soI try to throw his left overs in the trash or I will enhale those feww bites!
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    At meal times we all eat the same - I can't be doing with making several different meals at a time. So I only have to make sandwiches for school different. As this is done as a 'job' each night I don't feel tempted too much - might nick the odd grape. I don't keep snacks etc in the house, so the sweets they get are kept at grandparents, so they only have these at weekends. That way temptation for me is out of the house.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason I am trying to get into better shape and maintain a healthier diet is so my son has a good role model. I want him to grow up eating good foods, not with me eating one way and he and my husband eating another. It does help though that he finds it perfectly acceptable to sit down to a plate of raw fruits and veggies as a lunch! He'll even pick up a tomato or onion and chow down on it like an apple. The only thing I keep around that he eats and I don't are his duck crackers (our grocery store's version of goldfish).
    I do, however, keep toddler versions of the food I eat. Whole fat yogurt, cheese, and milk for him and reduced fat or fat free for me. He's gearing up to be tall and skinny like his daddy so he'll probably be having those for some time.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    There isn't any specific type of food that I can't eat, but keeping my portions in check is hard sometimes. I don't buy my kids anything that I wouldn't eat myself. If it's pasta - its brown rice pasta.... if it's snacks - theyre high protein, high fiber, low sugar.... if it's chips - they come in a certain serving size, where they get one serving only. I have also taught my children for years now how to read nutrition labels. They can read seving sizes, fat grams, sodium mgs, carbs, protein, fiber and sugar. We work together as a family to make healthy choices, so I don't have to worry as much about what I'm eating because my family eats healthily as a unit. It's not just 'Mom's Diet'..... this is how my family lives now. My kids are given a protein option for dinner then they get to take turns picking out what our vegetable will be to go with that. I take no deeper pride than when my boys are at the grocery store and do a little dance because we're going to buy asparagus and cook it fresh for dinner. Junk food is junk food....empty calories... and I feel, for my family (based on my personal choices and the hindsight of the way I grew up), that giving my kids crap will lead to them going through this same struggle when they are my age. I'd never wish my unhealthy lifestyle on anyone, especially my kids. Sometimes, it's hard for me to say - "No, Mom doesn't want the last 3 bites of your mac n cheese" but since I talked with them openly and honestly about how I feel about it and portion sizes, they will say "Oh, that's right... sorry mom, you had your serving".
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I find it easier because of having kids. When eating out, the portions are so crazy unrealistic, that I have taken to ordering one adult meal and sharing it with my youngest rather than ordering an adult meal and a kid's meal. At home I cook healthy food for my kids and myself and watch my portions. When it comes to cookies, deserts, and other special treats, at home and away, we always share. I will break a cookie (or brownie, muffin, whatever) in half and give half to my youngest and eat the other half myself. Less calories for me and less sugar for my kids!

When my kids aren't around, I share my meals and snacks with my 2 cockatoos and my dog. Same concept.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    First, my kids - all 5, are in peak condition. I exercise them all HARD nearly every day with calisthenics.
    Having said that, I understand that kids need not eat what I am eating just because I am on a restricted diet.
    No, I give them good hearty meals that I don't eat - too many calories.

Heavy pasta dishes, fried meats, burgers, buttered bread, mac and cheese and on and on....

Part of being young AND ACTIVE is having the body and metabolism to enjoy high calorie foods with no consequence.
    Why spoil their fun just because I suddenly decided to get healthy? Let kids be kids without allowing their lack of activity and food intake to turn them into fat slugs.

I wouldn't stand for that.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I dont buy any junk whatsoever and I dont allow it in my house and my kids are fine. Children will adapt to what we adapt to. I make healthy meals and nobody complains ever. Fresh fruits and veggies are always cut up and there for them if they need to snack on. I dont completely deprive them of treats but thats exactly what they are.....treats:)
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Both my son and I eat the same meals. I may eat more or less of one item or the other than him, or I may add a salad so I can eat smaller portions of the rice or the pasta, but I do not fix separate meals. He occasionally will get treats like ice cream, but then again, so do I.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I dont buy any junk whatsoever and I dont allow it in my house and my kids are fine. Children will adapt to what we adapt to. I make healthy meals and nobody complains ever. Fresh fruits and veggies are always cut up and there for them if they need to snack on. I dont completely deprive them of treats but thats exactly what they are.....treats:) May I add that my kids have rarely been sick also with anything but the common cold maybe once a year.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    First, my kids - all 5, are in peak condition. I exercise them all HARD nearly every day with calisthenics.
    Having said that, I understand that kids need not eat what I am eating just because I am on a restricted diet.
    No, I give them good hearty meals that I don't eat - too many calories.

Heavy pasta dishes, fried meats, burgers, buttered bread, mac and cheese and on and on....

Part of being young AND ACTIVE is having the body and metabolism to enjoy high calorie foods with no consequence.
    Why spoil their fun just because I suddenly decided to get healthy? Let kids be kids without allowing their lack of activity and food intake to turn them into fat slugs.

I wouldn't stand for that.

Completely agree. I feel that if kids are restricted, it doesn't teach them moderation. And my is not even the slightest overweight. She's probably a bit under. I feel that as long as they're getting balanced diet, there is absolutely not problem with then having treats.

My daughter has also decided, of course because she has been watching me, that she wants to be healthy. We went to our first, of what I hope to be many, "Mommy and Me Zumba" class this morning. She loved it :-)
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have 16, 12 and 2 year old daughters. I make balanced meals, including pasta once a week or so, and they are allowed to make choices about what they eat when we go out. My husband and I are both working on losing extra weight and being more active. We eat anything we want to, but control our portions. The kids are learning just by example. The 16 year old is running track this fall and has signed up for spring track, the 12 year old is training with her and our 2 year old joins us when we do workout DVDs or Wii Fit. It's all about leading by example for us.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I maintain, what I think to be, a balanced diet for my daughter,but I still allow her her treats. And other foods she get's to eat (that I don't, lol), like macaroni and cheese, pastas, grilled cheese, etc, for me, make it a little harder.

Also, I always find myself stealing bites, but don't log them. I once read that, of course, all these bites add up so you should count them. Do you log them? I don't feel like I eat enough to make a huge difference, but I bet it's between 50-100 calories.

That's how I gained my 20lbs -- now I remind myself that I don't need it and that I am not a garbage disposal!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I dont buy any junk whatsoever and I dont allow it in my house and my kids are fine. ...... May I add that my kids have rarely been sick also with anything but the common cold maybe once a year.

It really annoys me when people throw that out there. So if my kid has Lukemia or some other serious illness, are you implying that it was my fault for allowing my kid to eat a happy meal or a piece of cake once in awhile?
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I dont buy any junk whatsoever and I dont allow it in my house and my kids are fine. ...... May I add that my kids have rarely been sick also with anything but the common cold maybe once a year.

It really annoys me when people throw that out there. So if my kid has Lukemia or some other serious illness, are you implying that it was my fault for allowing my kid to eat a happy meal or a piece of cake once in awhile?

I seriously highly doubt that was the intent, youre taking it too personally. Obviously eating processed foods and unhealthy foods have adverse affects on your health, itsa widely studied and proven fact.
    I dont find it hard at all preparing food fo myself and paige (18.5 months) while dieting
    I feed her about 90% fresh foods with th exception of crackers, juice, etc. She eats what I eat. Today we both had for breakfast half of a thomas 100 calorie english muffin, 1 tbspn peanut butter with bananas on top and milk.
    When I have snack, I usually have grapes, cheese, and wheat thins, or such, an chicken noodle soup for lunch, or tuna, etc, i just give her some of what I eat. She loves everything, So I guess I am lucky, lol
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

That's how I gained my 20lbs -- now I remind myself that I don't need it and that I am not a garbage disposal!

HAHA!! I never thought of it that way. Lol. Maybe if I start, it'll keep me from doing it? Here's to hoping :-)
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I find it easier because of having kids. When eating out, the portions are so crazy unrealistic, that I have taken to ordering one adult meal and sharing it with my youngest rather than ordering an adult meal and a kid's meal. At home I cook healthy food for my kids and myself and watch my portions. When it comes to cookies, deserts, and other special treats, at home and away, we always share. I will break a cookie (or brownie, muffin, whatever) in half and give half to my youngest and eat the other half myself. Less calories for me and less sugar for my kids!

When my kids aren't around, I share my meals and snacks with my 2 cockatoos and my dog. Same concept.

I do this with my son. We like the same things so it is nice to have someone to share with. :-)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options

sounds JUST like me..maybe thats why i am disappointed when i gain the next day on my body test:laugh: ..i dont log the small bites..its too small to log..its kinda sad i cant eat that stuff anymore without worrying about sodium and what not, but for the most part, i am over it..i would rather eat a salad anyways..im serious:indifferent: :wink:
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Right now I log every single thing I eat. Our kids, snacks excluded, eat the same things we eat at lunch and dinner (breakfast we let them choose more for themselves and I'll make whatever I want for myself aside from that). They eat a pretty well balanced diet but they still get to enjoy more kid friendly food on occaision (grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, etc). I just look to make the healthiest versions of these (whole wheat bread, chicken breast nuggets, etc) and I eat the meal right along with them and log it. Snacks they do eat some things that I wouldn't (well, I probably would if I weren't watching my weight). I don't ever take a bite of what they are having unless I'm prepared to count it.
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Lately I have been saying the best way to cut calories is by having a toddler, lol. My 18.5 month old loses herm ind whenever she thinks someone has somethign that might possibly be edible, lol
    Even If I give her her own portions in her own dish, etc, if i dont eat afst enough and she finishes before me shes on top of me going "MAMAMAMAOMOMOMOMAMAMAAMOMOMAA!!!!" Until I share, lol. I do allow her bites of ice cream if we have it and im eating it, or stuff like that, obviously sh eeats mac and cheese but rarely...and she loves it! most of the time i mix it up with some tuna and broccoli and she loves it 10x more, lol.

Its all about not having food as a reward for kids. As well as having desserts/etc be something that is still a smart choice, like strawberries, etc.