Night time eating

Options
I can have great eating during the day, but at night, my eating is a complete disaster. It is so embarrassing. Any pointers? Please help. Again, I exercise and eat great throughout the day. I just can't control myself at night....at all!

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It used to be so hard for me too, but it gets easier with time. Try and try again. It took about 3 months to rid myself of that bad habit, but now I challenge myself to go to bed hungry every night, and it's not a problem anymore.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I didn't have this problem when I first started, but it's crept up on me now. I don't have much less to lose, and each time I have a bad night I feel like I'm going to gain it all back.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    take your dentures out right after dinner
  • eras616
    Options
    Challenge myself to go to bed hungry...I like that idea. I usually go to bed completely stuffed. And then I am not hungry in the morning. Thanks!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Challenge myself to go to bed hungry...I like that idea. I usually go to bed completely stuffed. And then I am not hungry in the morning. Thanks!

Came back to offer a non-snarky reply...

I think this is a very bad mindset. You should never really go to bed hungry. If you are more comfortable eating at night, then just plan accordingly and make sure you have the calories left to do so. I am the same way - I am most content when I eat near bed time, so my days are usually structured to allow for that.

You should never really feel like you're going hungry. That is not a proper setup for long term success. And long term success is what it's all about. Not dropping a few lbs fast and then stalling or relapsing back to old ways.
  • TrudyJo195
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I to sometimes have problems with eating at night. Love the popcorn. But going to bed hungry just keeps me awake until I get out of bed and get into the fridge. So spread those calories out and keep on working out and you should be good to go. If you are hungry and you don't eat then your body thinks it's starving and will store the fat. That's not a good thing, that just causes discouragement.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Re: going to bed hungry, I probably should have qualified it. And also, say that it will work for some and not for some. It works great for me and I NEVER wake up in the middle of the night, nor have any problem falling asleep. Actually, I started doing it based on Tony Horton's Power 90 Diet Guide:

"Stop eating 3 hours before bed. By allowing your body to sleep in 'fasting mode' meaning you are not in the midst of digesting a meal, your body will access stored fat for energy. What better time to be slightly hungry anyway than while you sleep? You wake up hungry, and per this plan, you eat breakfast on schedule!*"

* It also requires you to eat breakfast.

Apparently it doesn't work for everyone based on the replies above, but it has been working brilliantly for me. And funny enough, when I wake I'm not even hungry. I wake at 5 am and work out for 1 - 1 1/2 hours and then have my breakfast.
  • eras616
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Even if there are differences in the responses, I appreciate having them all so that I can look at them and try to find something that works for me.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Any particular reason why you eat at night? Boredom? Emotional? Or just a habit that's developed or a long period of time? I'd try to find the root cause and deal with that. Find something else to do to keep your mind off wanting to eat.
  • tcycato
    Options
    I have the same problem- tried stopping eating after 7pm etc but if I go to bed hungry I wake up, toss and turn for hours and end up getting up at 3am to eat something to go back to sleep. So I save 200 calories from my daily allowance to have a bowl of cereal or bread and honey before I go to bed and sleep well! It might not be right but it is for me now! Quality of sleep transcends the 7pm rule for me.
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Once the kids are in bed, the snacks and wine come out. I finally decided that it had to stop (except for the one 5 oz glass of wine.) As soon as dinner is done, I log onto MFP and fill out my food diary for dinner. I add in the wine for later in the evening. If I am short on calories, I will add in some type of fruit for later. Once I click that button, no more food for me. I have already completed my diary.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

if you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat and instead eat the majority or all your cals at night, that's what i do
    Re: going to bed hungry, I probably should have qualified it. And also, say that it will work for some and not for some. It works great for me and I NEVER wake up in the middle of the night, nor have any problem falling asleep. Actually, I started doing it based on Tony Horton's Power 90 Diet Guide:

"Stop eating 3 hours before bed. By allowing your body to sleep in 'fasting mode' meaning you are not in the midst of digesting a meal, your body will access stored fat for energy. What better time to be slightly hungry anyway than while you sleep? You wake up hungry, and per this plan, you eat breakfast on schedule!*"

tony horton is a broscientist and his advice should be taken with a grain of salt
  • mattquit
    mattquit Posts: 175
    Options
    i had this problem before. i realized that i was binging (don't know how to spell). eat equally in the morning, afternoon, and night.
    what i am trying to say that worked for me is i ate more
  • AutieBell
    AutieBell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eat smartly at night. Nothing heavy and try to do it at least 2-3 hours before you plan to go to bed. I find fruit or a sugar free pudding or something small can satisfy me without undoing everything I have done with the rest of my day. Just be smart about it and don't get out of control. Keep reminding yourself why you are doing all this. I have always had a problem with night eating because my schedule for work is seriously messed up and sometimes that is the only time I can e at. Just be sensible about it and don't binge. It does take a bit to get used to it but never starve yourself at night.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    take your dentures out right after dinner

LOL...I actually have a tip that I use- I brush my teeth after Im done eating and that is the signal to my body that we will not be eating anymore tonight!! (but the denture removal thing is pretty much the same idea lol).

Also- I set a time and do not eat after that time- for me it's between 7:30 and 8:00 pm so I have at least 2 hours of no eating before bed. Plus make sure you are eating ENOUGH during the day. If you are hungry you may be setting yourself up to eat late. I also like to drink a cup of hot tea (non-caffeinated) at night. I also try to keep myself busy (I do clean in the evening like vacuum/straighten up just to keep me occupied) in the evening and NEVER watch the Food Network at night- too many food cues for me!!!

Like others have said-it will take some time to learn this new habit.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Start your day by logging last nights evening meal and snacks. Then finish your day by logging the following days breakfast and lunch. I struggled to eat less at night, but never had a problem with eating a small breakfast and lunch. I find that by logging my eveing meal and snacks at the beginning of my 'day', I can then stick to calories better. It also helps because I prefer exercising first thing before breakfast. I've had more success since trying this out.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Eat what you need, sensibly - then, when you've had enough, get up and brush your teeth, use mouthwash and floss.
    The minty taste suppresses appetite, and I don't know about you but I HATE eating after I've brushed my teeth!! :)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you aren't eating enough during the day and you're just hungry? You could try to 'save' calories for the evening.
    There was some good advice in this thread... you need to work out why you're eating. If it's boredom, maybe you could get out of the house in the evening, or find something to do. I try to not keep stuff in the house that I wouldn't want to eat as I'm a definite boredom eater.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

if you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat and instead eat the majority or all your cals at night, that's what i do

tony horton is a broscientist and his advice should be taken with a grain of salt

This! If you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat then! :)