Purchasing an HRM

Options
Hey there,

I'm thinking about asking for an HRM for Christmas, but I have no idea where to start looking? Which brands/models do you guys recommend?

Replies

• cmoe25027
    cmoe25027 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Polar and Suunto are both leaders and pioneers in the hrm business. I just recently purchased the polar ft60($120 on amazon) and am loving it so far. It has a ton of features, and it's easy to use. The STAR training program is really cool, it takes a baseline fitness measurement and gives you a goal for each off the 3 hr zones. If you want To just know what your hr is at the time then they have lower end models also such as the ft1, ft4, ft7 for 50-80 dollars, but if I were to get a bare bones monitor omron has one for around $35 on amazon. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Collin
  • kristynlyn
    kristynlyn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Polar and Suunto are both leaders and pioneers in the hrm business. I just recently purchased the polar ft60($120 on amazon) and am loving it so far. It has a ton of features, and it's easy to use. The STAR training program is really cool, it takes a baseline fitness measurement and gives you a goal for each off the 3 hr zones. If you want To just know what your hr is at the time then they have lower end models also such as the ft1, ft4, ft7 for 50-80 dollars, but if I were to get a bare bones monitor omron has one for around $35 on amazon. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Collin

I was just looking at this on amazon also and was about to post a topic- so I am glad I saw this! Thanks for the response. Is this your first HRM?
  • leafstucker16
    leafstucker16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had a polar ft40 but returned it and just kept using my bodybugg so I could track my calories from morning to night
  • got_BluEgo
    got_BluEgo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm satisfied with my Polar FT4
  • cmoe25027
    cmoe25027 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The ft60 is my second hrm, my first was a few years ago and it was a bare bones reebok model. It worked fine for what it was but the ft60 blows it out of the water as far as extras.

The body bugg sounds really cool, I have looked into that before. The main difference between the ft40 and ft60 is the STAR program and I think the fitness test. The star program was the decision maker for me, and even though the retail prices on them are quite high and different, the amazon price difference was only around 5 or 10 dollars.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and it is worth every penny spent. Love it and it is super easy to use. I wanted to have a more accurate handle on calories burnt versus taking what MFP suggests. Very satisfied.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love love love it!