What does it mean to lose BF vs. losing weight?

Options
I always hear people talk about losing weight and losing body fat interchangeably and I want to know the difference? Is losing BF in essence losing inches and losing weight reducing the number on the scale? Because I defintely want to lose inches but not lose any weight b/c I am at my goal weight. Help with ideas about losing the the inches but not the weight?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You could go on a bulk cycle where you eat above maintenance, lift heavy weights, gain both muscle and fat, then go on a cut cycle where you hypothetically lose the fat you gained and only a little bit of muscle and get back down to your goal weight. So say you gain 3lbs of muscle and 2lbs of fat, then you diet, lose 3lbs of fat and retain 2 pounds of the muscle you gained you'll end up at the same weight but down a pound of fat and up a pound of muscle.

You could also eat at maintenance and attempt a "body recomp" but I know little about this.

But goal "weights" should be fluid. I like to go with goal body fat percentage...
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I always hear people talk about losing weight and losing body fat interchangeably and I want to know the difference? Is losing BF in essence losing inches and losing weight reducing the number on the scale? Because I defintely want to lose inches but not lose any weight b/c I am at my goal weight. Help with ideas about losing the the inches but not the weight?

Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing. A person can lose 5 pounds of scale weight in an hour, but they can't lose 5 pounds of fat in an hour.

Your scale weight is broken down into two categories: Pounds of fat and pounds of lean body mass. You have to know your body fat percentage, in order to find out the amount of both.

Once you know your body fat percentage, this is the formula you use to find out how much of your scale weight is from fat and how much is from lean body mass.

Weight x Body fat percentage = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of fat = Pounds of lean body mass

Your pounds of fat is not the amount of scale weight or fat you need to lose. Your pounds of lean body mass is the requirement for your body. You want to maintain that number or raise it.

You can lose scale weight without losing fat. For example. Water weight. Fat loss takes time. A person's scale weight can stay the same or even go up, it doesn't mean they haven't lost fat.

Cardio burns fat. I love doing cardio. I strength train too, but I prefer cardio/strength over solo strength training. I don't lift heavy and never will. That's not my cup of tea. Do what's best for your body. You can do this! Believe in yourself.
  • MaggieFit622
    Options
    Thanks! I have a bf measurement, according to the calculators I have found online, of 25 %. My lean body weight is at 99 lbs. I would, though, like help lowering that number to 15 percent. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • AZackery
    Options
    Thanks! I have a bf measurement, according to the calculators I have found online, of 25 %. My lean body weight is at 99 lbs. I would, though, like help lowering that number to 15 percent. Anyone else have any ideas?

15% sounds like a low number.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    NO online BF calculator is going to be remotely accurate-- there are so many factors that go into calculating BF, and simply entering your height and weight isn't gonna cut it. Think of how differently some people look at the same height and weight--a lot of that has to do with BF composition.

If you want an accurate number, get a BODPOD test....and 15% is REALLY low for a woman, it's more realistic (and healthy) to shoot for 18 at the very lowest.

• Rae6503
    Options
    15% is pretty low, like fitness model low, but it's possible I guess.

You can figure out your goal weight based on a goal body fat percentage:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Rae6503/view/calculate-your-goal-weight-based-on-goal-body-fat-percentage-170958

But that assumes you don't lose or gain any muscle...
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A loss of 0.5 - 1.0% BF per week is healthy and you should aim for that. So assuming you lose 1% per week, you'll be at 15% in 10 weeks from now, which is quite doable and 15% is a good goal. You'll still need to watch your calories of course.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Weight are your pounds and bodyfat tells how much of that is fat.

Try this site
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

The above link is a great way to determine bodyfat.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I've heard the Navy calculator is pretty good:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-calculator-navy
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing. A person can lose 5 pounds of scale weight in an hour, but they can't lose 5 pounds of fat in an hour.

Your scale weight is broken down into two categories: Pounds of fat and pounds of lean body mass. You have to know your body fat percentage, in order to find out the amount of both.

Once you know your body fat percentage, this is the formula you use to find out how much of your scale weight is from fat and how much is from lean body mass.

Your pounds of fat is not the amount of scale weight or fat you need to lose. Your pounds of lean body mass is the requirement for your body. You want to maintain that number or raise it.

You can lose scale weight without losing fat. For example. Water weight. Fat loss takes time. A person's scale weight can stay the same or even go up, it doesn't mean they haven't lost fat.

Cardio burns fat. I love doing cardio. I strength train too, but I prefer cardio/strength over solo strength training. I don't lift heavy and never will. That's not my cup of tea. Do what's best for your body. You can do this! Believe in yourself.

How does one lose 5lbs of scale weigh in an hour? I have a dress I'd be much more comfortable in if I were about 5lbs lighter, can you let me in on the trick?!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

How do you lose 5lb's in one hour? It's always taken me a few weeks to lose 5lb's. smiley-think004.gif
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    An enema might bring you down 5# in an hour. Or any explosive gastrointestinal issue. Losing a limb. Giving birth. :laugh:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I can lose 5lbs of scale weight in a hour with a good run. (I sweat a lot).
  • AZackery
    Options

How does one lose 5lbs of scale weigh in an hour? I have a dress I'd be much more comfortable in if I were about 5lbs lighter, can you let me in on the trick?!

Sweating: Sauna Suits. Sauna. Body wrap.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    An enema might bring you down 5# in an hour. Or any explosive gastrointestinal issue. Losing a limb. Giving birth. :laugh:

I have given birth to 5 pound food babies.

OP: look into body recomposition. Lyle McDonald is well respected.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Too bad that all comes back the moment you drink/eat something.
    What a waste of time trying to lose 5 pounds that wont say lost.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A body fat index below 18.5 is generally considered a health problem (illness, bulimic, starving). Muscle weighs more than fat so it is very possible to tone up your muscles, add mass and loose inches. Also, much exercise increases bone mass, If you go heavy on the cardio you will tend to push your bmi down, if you reduce or maintain your current calorie level. Weight lifting,especially low reps, may bulk you up and you may gain weight and loose inches around the waist. Many male weightlifters have low body fat but score high bmi's on charts and programed formulas because they have such big muscles. Anyone with sixpack abs is a low bmi , regardless of what the bmi formula shows. Male body builders often score obese on the charts although they have very little body fat. Due to hormone differences it is harder for women to bulk up than men. If your weight training is high reps (15-20 reps of 4 sets per exercise, you will probably get that lean fit look rather than the musclebound look. High reps tend to build endurance more than low reps which are more likely to add to strength.
    High reps are better for tone, (the look most men prefer), most athletics and general endurance. 60 mins or so of cardio a day does a lot for tone. BTW the male equivalent of bulimia is body building to extreme. (Too much bulk reduces athletic ability and is very time consuming). You won't see a lot of guys like Arnold playing pro sports, they aren't flexible or fast and haven't the stamina needed.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Too bad that all comes back the moment you drink/eat something.
    What a waste of time trying to lose 5 pounds that wont say lost.

That's kind of the point. Losing (or gaining) pounds on the scale does not necessarily equal fat loss (or gain). The scale is the least accurate reflection of fat loss because there are a number of things that affect it. Water retention is one of them, which is what that was meant to reflect. Also, when people lose weight, they often lose muscle mass as well. So there is a difference between weight loss and losing bodyfat.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

15% is fairly low. Athletic BF % for males is often considered to be around 13 or 14. For women, BF is generally higher. When people talk about being "ripped," getting revealed 6-pack abs and such, they are generally close to single digit BF numbers.