does anyone know the name of this machine

Options
its at planet fitness, it has handle bars that move with your feet. i guess it's kind of like gliding or going up steps. i cannot find the name and i want to add it to my exercise

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    elliptical
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    elliptical machine??
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Elliptical? Look it up and see.
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    duh...im new to this lol
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    okay one more question... do i go by what MFP says or what the machine says i burned in calories
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Elliptical or Arc Trainer.

For something like an elliptical, enter your weight when you use it, and go by that number. MFP's elliptical is a very, very vague estimate since it doesn't know your pace or resistance. Someone going 3mph at the lowest level isn't going to burn as much as someone going faster with higher resistance. The MFP estimate might be right... in much the same way that a broken clock is right twice a day. :wink:
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    there are two different ones. One is the elliptical and the other is called the Arc Trainer (if you look at part of the machine that has all the calories it will say that). I love planet fitness!! That is where I go!! The Arc trainer is not a machine that is saved in the cardio exercises so you will have to "add a new exercise" if you use that so that the cals you lose on that can be accounted for.
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There both probably off. Go with the lower one for now. Invest in a heart monitor that will count calories as this will get you closer. Especially if it lets you put in your own max heart rate. I'm big into cycling and I always log my exercise speed in slower then what I actually did to match my real calorie burn.
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    what the machine says. esp if you put your weight in the machine. it makes it more accurate bc mfp is based off of a single speed and idk what weight it is based off of.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    i take MFPs calculation and the machine read-out and average them out. (just add together and divide by two) i figure it's in the middle, it may be more accurate. i'm hoping to get a heart rate monitor soon for a more accurate read. i like the average way for right now.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would def go with what the machine says; I find MFP's figure is waaay generous!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    If I had my way, it would have been named "Fred".

Don't mind me. Sometimes I think I'm funny when I'm actually not...