I AM A NON-SMOKER

Options
cantjustcant
cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
I started here July 31st 2011 at 231.4 pounds. Around october 1st I realized I was actually doing it! So I set a date of December 1st to stop smoking. That gave me two months to get my brain mentally prepared. On November 28th I ran out of smokes and it was cold and raining and I just didn't feel like driving to the store so I said...close enough. However the next two days my brain kept telling me that it was cheated out of two days of smoking. So after work on the 30th I had a half a cig. Things were going along fabulously until december 9th when I was getting ready to go to zumba with a friend and she lit up. I shared her cig and then began to mentally beat myself up! Then I started thinking....I have only had one (or less than) cigarette in 19 days. That is pretty impressive!

Today I stripped all the linens and curtains and coats and washed everything. The smoke smell is pretty much gone from my home and I am FREE of the habit that has driven me insane for 27 years!

ohhhh side effect. I have gained 7 pounds in the past week. No idea why. My diary is open. feel free to check it out! I am open to suggestions!

Replies

• justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    That's amazing! It's shocking how much smoking can impact your body, and how different you can feel after quitting.
    The reason you gained weight is because of your oral fixation. Since you took the cigarette away, you used food instead. Same thing happened with my Dad. It gets less prominent over time.
    Congratulations :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am a smoker. I quit in July but due to stress have fallen off the wagon this month, however I will quitagain after xmas.

I always put on around 7 pounds when I quit but it comes off again once your body settles down so don't worry too much. Giving up smoking is the best thing you can do for your long term health so a short term weight gain is a small price to pay,
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    Cant, I'm so proud of you. I quit cold turkey when I was 23 years old. I was up to almost a pack a day. I know you've got to feel so good about yourself and your accomplishments!! You are a winner, my friend!! :flowerforyou:
  • Tyffany130
    Options
    I started here July 31st 2011 at 231.4 pounds. Around october 1st I realized I was actually doing it! So I set a date of December 1st to stop smoking. That gave me two months to get my brain mentally prepared. On November 28th I ran out of smokes and it was cold and raining and I just didn't feel like driving to the store so I said...close enough. However the next two days my brain kept telling me that it was cheated out of two days of smoking. So after work on the 30th I had a half a cig. Things were going along fabulously until december 9th when I was getting ready to go to zumba with a friend and she lit up. I shared her cig and then began to mentally beat myself up! Then I started thinking....I have only had one (or less than) cigarette in 19 days. That is pretty impressive!

Today I stripped all the linens and curtains and coats and washed everything. The smoke smell is pretty much gone from my home and I am FREE of the habit that has driven me insane for 27 years!

ohhhh side effect. I have gained 7 pounds in the past week. No idea why. My diary is open. feel free to check it out! I am open to suggestions!

I know what you mean and it's very frustrating! I smoked for 16 years, and this past January I quit. I gained about ten pounds. I guess because instead of going for a cigarette, I went for food, mainly crunchy chips! Take your time getting used to not smoking and if you go for food, make it raw veggies or a healthy snack. The weight will come back off. Great job quitting smoking and good luck
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    welldone, wish i could do that, 10years chained to the smoke
  • becky2967
    Options
    i quit 4years ago well done, xxx
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I gave up 7 Nov 2010! Just did it - although pleurisy helped! But I have not craved one at all since. As to the weight give it another week - get Christmas done and then New Year hit the gym. CONGRATULATIONS! I am saving for a new kitchen and reckon I have saved close on £4,000 this year! What is your goal to spend the money you would otherwise have burnt?
  • samdgood
    samdgood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i wanted to quit for my health and hate the cost. but i didn't want to quit. i failed at everything til one day the cable man came by and said he and his wife bought the electric cig. so i thought great idea, i can quit and still "smoke". i started with the high nicotine juice and puffed all day. then i started using medium nic and eventually low then zero nicotine. then i realized i was going hours at a time without using it at all.

i have not had a regular cig in three years. within 2 weeks i lost my cig cough. i was especially happy to have no dirty ashtrays and the crappy smell began to go away.

i am proud to be a non smoker. and i wish everyone who wants to quit all the luck in the world. if one thing doesn't work try another. if you try and fail, then try again. you will find the thing that works for you.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You could also be retaining more water. Smoking really dehydrates your body, so the weight shouldn't last. Congratulations!
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    it's amazing how great you feel when you quit... I quit a year ago after smoking for about 15 years. I feel great now (but yeah i gained some weight in the process) I go through a lot of gum that's for sure :)
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I quit December 3rd. 2010! I don't miss a second of it!! You can do it!!! Don't let this discourage you, but I gained 33 pounds! I was also fresh out of the hospital with a foot surgery and on my butt for 5 weeks. I have since lost all of that, plus some. I took the weight gain and took the increased lung capacity to work that weight right back off in less than a year! :wink:
  • Sandyc3838
    Options
    I don't even want to say how long I smoked, but it was over 30 years and on January10th, it will be 3 years since I had a cigarette. I didn't put on too much weight in the first year, but then started putting more on in the second year. I also had a new job and wasn't teaching dance anymore, so I'm sure that contributed to the weight gain. Long story short - I put on about 24 pounds and hated myself for it, but REFUSED to go back to smoking. I now hate the smell on people and don't ever want to smell like that again, so in July of this year, I decided it was time to get rid of the weight. I knew I'd never smoke again, so now I had to get my whole body in order. I changed the things I eat and I joined MFP. I have now lost 31 pounds and, other than being sick this week, haven't felt this good in a very long time. For me, the reasons I gained the weight, was because my metabolism slowed down. Cigarettes do speed up your metabolism and when you quit, you lose that, and therefore, gain weight even if you don't change the things you eat or the amount. I also admit that I probably replaced my oral fixation with food, but I believe a lot of it was just slowing down. It is possible to do it (stop smoking and lose the weight) and I have to say......."If I can do it - ANYONE can!!!!!" LOL Good luck and if you need positive reinforcements along the way, feel free to "friend" me.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking several months ago, and gained about 12 pounds. But now I'm down 30 pounds. Don't let weight gain discourage you. Your only concern should be to break the hold nicotine has on you. Later, you can come back and tackle the pounds you put on. As someone who has been through it, I wanted to give you my story so that it might give you hope. :)
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't even want to say how long I smoked, but it was over 30 years and on January10th, it will be 3 years since I had a cigarette. I didn't put on too much weight in the first year, but then started putting more on in the second year. I also had a new job and wasn't teaching dance anymore, so I'm sure that contributed to the weight gain. Long story short - I put on about 24 pounds and hated myself for it, but REFUSED to go back to smoking. I now hate the smell on people and don't ever want to smell like that again, so in July of this year, I decided it was time to get rid of the weight. I knew I'd never smoke again, so now I had to get my whole body in order. I changed the things I eat and I joined MFP. I have now lost 31 pounds and, other than being sick this week, haven't felt this good in a very long time. For me, the reasons I gained the weight, was because my metabolism slowed down. Cigarettes do speed up your metabolism and when you quit, you lose that, and therefore, gain weight even if you don't change the things you eat or the amount. I also admit that I probably replaced my oral fixation with food, but I believe a lot of it was just slowing down. It is possible to do it (stop smoking and lose the weight) and I have to say......."If I can do it - ANYONE can!!!!!" LOL Good luck and if you need positive reinforcements along the way, feel free to "friend" me.

Awesome story! I smoked 30 years, too. My story kinda mimicks yours, right down the line. Good job, and congrats on your accomplishments!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    monday the 19th is the anniversary of my dads death. it has been 23 yrs and i still miss him. he kept smoking with lung cancer and the oxygen tank. it totally sucks being orphaned at the age of 21 and losing someone you love so much because of something that might have been prevented. good for you for quitting. my kids never got to meet their grandpa. i miss him every day.
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've done some research in this topic myself...being a non-smoker as of April 1st, 2010. :) Your body is going to fight the withdrawal but you can beat it! I also read that it takes the body time to get back to "normal." Adding a few lbs is no biggie....its just temporary. I smoked a pack a day for about 18 years...it's hard when you have to re learn the way you've lived your entire adult life. Every day gets easier though..I promise! I have zero urge! if you need support, feel free to add me :happy:
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i have smoked on and off for 12 years..for several of those years, my MYR has been to lose weight, and i have done that this year..im hoping next year i can stop smoking..i have tried to mentally prepare myself many-a time, but i am still a slave to them, so i cant stop yet, no matter the extent of preparation..great for you..:drinker:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Glad I read this I am quiting on Jan 1st. I have spent the last 4 months doing everything I can to get healthy and fit and now it is time for the cigs to go. I am a runner and can only imagine how much easier it will be-how much faster and longer I will be able to go! Looking forward to dropping the nasty habit and know 100% I will succeed.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Glad I read this I am quiting on Jan 1st. I have spent the last 4 months doing everything I can to get healthy and fit and now it is time for the cigs to go. I am a runner and can only imagine how much easier it will be-how much faster and longer I will be able to go! Looking forward to dropping the nasty habit and know 100% I will succeed.

And Im here to tell you I'm here for you 100% Missy! 100%!
  • peaceinside
    Options
    All of you are soooo encouraging! I just tried last week and failed. Didn't have much of a plan tho. Now I am making a plan and getting an e cig It's on back order so I wont get it for a couple of weeks but that gives me time to wrap my head around it. Thanks for sharing and I will come back and visit this chat often for reinforcement.
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!