running

Options
I haven't been able to run my entire life but I have never been in good enough shape..
does anyone have any hints to help me get in the swing of running?
much appreciated :)

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k Running Plan!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I started it a year ago, and had never run more than a mile and a half, and that was twenty years ago in college because we HAD to to pass phys ed. And I walked some of that.

Now, I've finished a bunch of 5k races and a 10k, won a few medals, and I'm training for speed because I want a trophy. :smile:
  • victoria1957
    victoria1957 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    8 months ago I could not walk 5 minutes on the treadmill but I just kept going and as time went on I got faster and more distance. Just don't quit. Add on 10% distance per week. Now I run over 2 miles and am training for a half marathon. I had one sub 9 minute mile! Which is pretty slow compared to "real" runners. One good piece of advice I have gotten is don't worry about time, just add distance and the time will compress. Good luck!
  • yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I started out by doing a "trot" for a few blocks/minutes...I still have a long way to go but I am trying to doing it for a mile and then increase it to 2, 3, etc.
    Also, I find that I run better when I am on the treadmill!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Start with a slow pace. When I first started, I thought I had to run as fast as I could manage for it to count. No surprise, I could barely do a minute or two before I had to stop. Jogging is just fine, especially as your just starting to build up some endurance. Speed can come later.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    jogging on the treadmill is much easier and is a good way to ease back into running and retrain your muscles. if you don't have access to a treadmill, try to find a track or soft ground that won't be so hard on your joints.

take it as slow as possible and a couple times a week do interval training. alternate between sprinting (or just running fast) for 2 minutes, then walk for 2 minutes, and do that for 20 minutes. that will help build stamina.

ALSO do 3 sets of lunges and squats every day before you run. it will build strength and warm up the muscles that you need in order to run.

trust me, 12 weeks ago i DIED just a couple minutes into running. after 12 weeks of doing what I just told you (i started on a track and moved to a treadmill once it got cold), i'm more than ready for my 5k on New Year's Eve.