Chinese takeaway?!

Options
Anyone know of any healthy (ish) choices to make at a chinese takeaway?!
I have a feeling this weekend is going to be bad...!

Replies

• ironicmoronic
    ironicmoronic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of any healthy (ish) choices to make at a chinese takeaway?!
    I have a feeling this weekend is going to be bad...!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    steamed chicken & broccoli
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    steamed chicken & broccoli

that sounds really good right now...
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    The teriyaki chicken isn't too bad, definately the steamed rice, the chow mein is off limits, the broccoli beef is okay and so is the sauteed green beans w/mushrooms avoid all the fried then coated with sauce things, and whatever you do, don't eat the Duck! My Kryptonite dish, major calories!!!!!!!!!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    chicken/broccoli, steamed rice, and egg drop soup.

pepper steak isn't too too bad but I would stick w/chicken, cashew chicken, almond chicken, just nothing fried like sweet/sour or lemon chicken.

memaw
  • sarahiris
    sarahiris Posts: 82
    Options
    im going tonight for one and chicken chop suey is on my list at 400cal with boiled rice, or you could go for a vegetable dish or chow mein enjoy! :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Very little good food is offered at these types of places. It depends on your local place. But most of these places use a TON of sodium (MSG) in their food which is bad on it's own, but the reason why these foods are usually so good is because they use a lot of sauces in them, and most of these sauces are either loaded with fat (not the good kind either) or salt products. Not good IMHO.

Can you indulge once in a great while? Sure, every 2 or 3 months I'll order from my favorite Chinese food place, and yeah, I'll over eat that day. Because we're not robots, we need a little variety in life.

And hey, if we ALWAYS stick to our plan, then we will never know if we can break it once in a while and get right back on track. That first really bad food day is scary for most of us, but once you have it, and then climb right back on with healthy eating, it's easier to avoid it, because the 1000 lb gorilla is no longer hovering behind you any more (fear of going over on calories and falling off the wagon).

So I'm saying, if you're looking for Chinese food, don't go crazy trying to find the best food there, order what you enjoy, consciously make the decision to eat it, and then just continue on your journey. That way YOU maintain control of your diet instead of letting your food and wants control you!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You can usually ask for sauce on the side for a lot of the more sauce-ful dishes. I personally adore scheuan vegetables with the sauce on the side. It's basically a huge helping of steamed veggies. Mmmmmm :tongue:
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the 'best' things to order from Indian and Chinese takeaways are tomato based sauces, vegetarian, king prawns and if you like it, the hotter the better, as chilli may boost your metabolism.

But I say, order what you'll enjoy , don't feel guilty about it afterwards, and get back on the wagon the next day. Dieting can be hard work- and you should reward yourself occassionally!
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    . That way YOU maintain control of your diet instead of letting your food and wants control you!
    [/quote]

Great advice!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Off topic: I love the term 'takeaway' instead of 'takeout'.
  • ironicmoronic
    ironicmoronic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ah I think it must be an English term :smile:
    Thanks for all of your advice, I made it through! And feeling good, just had a lovely session in the gym and pool!
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It is an English term!
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    Off topic: I love the term 'takeaway' instead of 'takeout'.

Haha, I noticed that too. The first time I heard the term "take away", I was like "what?! whats take away?!", lol. :laugh: Thats cool :drinker: