Dr. B

Options
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is a past patient of the Dr Bernstein diet? ( http://www.drbdiet.com/ ) If so, I was wondering how you are finding this site and diet program options? I recently quit the diet and I've been off and on it a few times but now I want to do it a healthy way that I can hopefully maintain for life. And with a lot less cost.

Replies

• Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is a past patient of the Dr Bernstein diet? ( http://www.drbdiet.com/ ) If so, I was wondering how you are finding this site and diet program options? I recently quit the diet and I've been off and on it a few times but now I want to do it a healthy way that I can hopefully maintain for life. And with a lot less cost.
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Can I ask you a question, because I have heard rumours of this diet but never known of anyone who actually tried it.
    Is it true that they have you on 800 calories a day, but then you have to go into their office to get vitamin/mineral/supplement injections once or twice a week?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I did a quick scan of the website, the concepts look reasonable, I didn't see anything about the implementation so I can't say whether I agree with the plan or not, but on the surface it seems not much different from what most successful members here say. I'll say this, the concepts aren't anything different from what I do daily, so you don't (strictly speaking) need to pay for it, you can do the same thing on your own. On the other hand, following someone else's plan does give you some validation, so for those who worry that they're doing the right thing, it could be a confidence booster, that's up to you whether it's worth the cost though.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    ..I've also heard you arent allowed to exercise? Is this true? I'm curious what's truth and myth?
  • Tofuheart
    Options
    I have est the calories on here when I was on the diet. You eat between 500-700 calories. If you have more to lose then you are obviously at the higher end of the calorie intake.

It's basically a lot of veggies, protein and a small amount of carbs. (they give you a strict list of what you can eat) You take potasium (to stop muscle cramps and other things from being in starvation mode) every day and go into the clinic three times a week for weigh in, nurse check up and to get your Vit B injection. The injection gives you energy. You drink a min of two litres of water. The diet does work, theres's no doubt about it. Your body lives off of the fat stored and you feel great but it's very restrictive on calories and what you can eat. I have yet to meet anyone that has kept off the weight, thier maintence program is bascially adding small amounts of food until you have a balance. It seems to screw with your metabolism. You lose the weight so fast it doesn't really teach you about lifestyle change and exercise. So people gain the weight back I gained some of the weight back but not all of it. I'm just done with it and I want a healthy normal solution even if it's a lot slower. Dr B is 16-20 pounds a month for weight loss. And 500-600 dollars a month.

You can exercise but it slows your weight loss down sometimes. Most of the people do light walking and Curves gym while on the diet. However you don't need to exercise at all while on it if you don't want.
  • Tofuheart
    Options
    Venessa1969: I forgot to add you take one multi-vitamin (that can be from a regular store) and the potassium pills, which are a prescription from the Dr at the clinic. The vitamin B Injections are at the clinic and are included in the weekly cost of going there.
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. I didn't know alot about Dr. B. Thanks for sharing that information.

I have only heard of people from my step dads work on the diet but have since went off it and gained back all the weight and more.

Good luck!
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information.
    I'm a vegetarian, and although I often have a tough time reaching the 1200 calories a day mark - 500 calories isn't even a lot of veggies! That is very low and I am not surprised that people gain the weight back. That is a very hefty pricetag to gain it all back, too.
    I'm not surprised that you are trying to find an alternative. This is a great site, with lots of great information and lots of super people who have been successful to provide inspiration and motivation.
    :smile:
  • Tofuheart
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I love this site so far! I'm also a vegetarian. Most vegetables are pretty low in calories, and on Dr B you eat just those. They don't allow any high glycemic vegetables. For some reason you don't get hungry on the diet, the frist 4 or 5 days are tough when you body is detoxing of refined sugars and white flour hell. I mostly bypass that because I don't consume refined sugars or simple carbs.

I'm glad to be off that diet and on this one. It's exciting and I'm looking forward to change! :happy: