I have what?!? My introduction.

Options
I want, no I NEED, something & someone that will hold me accountable! I am 238 pounds right now. 250lb at my heaviest. Let me give everyone some background information.
February or was it March? 2010 I found out I was pregnant. I'm pretty sure it was February now that I am sitting here thinking about it. I have PCOS & it was unexpected. When I say unexpected, We weren't like really trying, it just HAPPENED, We weren't preventing. Okay, so I'm pregnant. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 5 weeks pregnant. So my pregnancy other than the insulin, multiple DR appointments, bed rest for a shortened cervix.. We get to 29 weeks and some change and my blood pressure it off the charts, not too horrible, but bad enough to have to go into the hospital. I was in the hospital for one week before they decided that I needed to have my son because my blood pressure was 191/106. So my son was delivered via emergency c-section at 30 weeks gestation. We went through 10 weeks in the NICU with him and we are out and he's not a 15 month old with some delays but a happy little camper. And here I am weighing more than I did pregnant with him D: in my first trimester I lost 14lb because I drastically changed my way of eating because I was so SCARED to eat more than I should because it might effect him in the womb.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, 2 months ago. I went into a severe depression/denial about it. & I basically eat what I wanted and stopped taking my medications.. NOT A GOOD IDEA. I went to the DR yesterday and she won't refill my meds until I get labs done, etc. So I am waiting on that. In the meantime I want to change my diet & I want to start a good exercise routine. There in lies the problem. Right now I am at a stay at home mom with my son & the neighborhood we live in isn't the best.. So I need some workout plans for INSIDE the house. I am willing to follow a youtube channel that shows me exercises. I just don't want to spend money on videos or anything. I have The Biggest Loser game for Wii which I have used before.. Does anyone have any good plans or tips for me? Thank you.

Replies

• 65PONY
    65PONY Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you need to stay inside, walk all over the house for 30 mins without stopping...if you have stairs walk up and down them for 10 mins straight...eat healty and drink lots of water....add me as a friend if you want to stay in touch...

Cheers, Joe
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    Netflix has exercise dvds, its a great way to try them before spending more money than you already are.
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a son who is 1 and 1/2 years old, so I understand where you are coming from. I sometimes can go to the gym, but only when my family members want to babysit because my fiance goes with me. If you have comcast, there are a lot of free workouts on demand. There is also bodyrock.tv (that is the actual website) and that has a bunch of workouts on there along with youtube exercises.
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I also do a lot of calinstenics like crunches, sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks, and squats. You will be able to find plenty of things to do!

You can add me as a friend if you want, I love adding new friends! =)
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    if you search winsor pilates, there are several channels that have the whole workout in one playlist. its only 20 minutes, requires no equipment other than an optional yoga mat, and its an intense workout. there is a girl who does modified moves if you don't have the stamina/flexibility to keep up with the full scale moves. it's totally doable during naptime!

there's lots of great yoga on youtube too, it can be great for weight loss. also, look into bodyweight exercises like pushups, situps, planks, lunges, squats, etc. all easy to do inside.

good luck with your labs!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    you can find a ton of zumba workouts etc on youtube... totally free :) find a few songs you like, you can usually find multiple instructors teaching them on there... and a TON of other free workout resources!
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The good news is the type 2 is reversible, providing you are willing to want it. I am suffering thru that as we speak. Read my post in this topic, and add me if you like. Remember, there is only ONE reason you will succeed...... YOU WANT IT!! Anything short of that is an excuse. #Letsgonoexcuses!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    If there's a public library in your area, they should have some fitness videos (Leslie Sansone Walking, lots of aerobics stuff, etc) that you can check out for free ;)
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Was gestational diabetic with my daughter in 1994 and cut sugars from my diet while pregnant. Since, I forgot to watch what I ate, and in April this year, was told I was Type II Diabetic from a high blood sugar count. It hit me like a ton of bricks! They put me on Metformin and I was off!! Cut out all processed carbs, and started eating more nuts, whole grain, whole wheat (no processed flour), more veggies, bean soups (tons of fiber and more protein). I found MFP, and within the month, I dropped 10 lbs., they took me OFF the Metformin and I started feeling different - as in really good, health-wise. I've continued eating healthy foods, cutting out as much processed stuff as possible. I absolutely HATE to exercise!! But, it goes with the territory. So, I bought Wii Zumba, Wii sports games, and started dancing to my favorite musical movies, ie: Momma Mia, Burlesque (that's 2 hours of movement each) Also, I go to our local mall (it opens at 7:00 - before stores open, so it's all people walking around) If you have a mall near you, take the little one out for a mall walk. Today, I am considered Diabetic free, no meds, and have dropped a total of 50 lbs. I really haven't even been trying to lose weight, just trying to eat a diabetic diet. There are tons of web-sites that give you good tips on how to control diabetics. I also got the book "Diabetic D-Tour" which really helped me get started. If I can do it, anyone can. I was a Dr. Pepper, French Fry, Sandwich, doughnut, cookies, cakes junkie!! After removing those foods from my diet, I no longer crave them. You can also go find members/friends who are also diabetics. I found some great friends and support as well as inspirational success stories here, and they have been fantastic in helping me get on track and stay there. Hang in there, you can do it, and life is soooooo much better since I've gotten it all under control. Wishing you the very best.
  • mysouljourney
    Options
    YOU TUBE IS GREAT AND FREE. IM HERE FOR SUPPORT. WE CAN DO THIS. IM JUST GETTING STARTED AS WELL. YOU WILL SEE MY SITUATION ON MY SITE SO I CAN RELATE TO YOUR MEDICAL SITUATION. BUT LIKE COMMANDER38 SAID YOU CAN REVERSE TYPE 2. I HAD A COUSIN THAT WAS ON INSULIN WHILE PREGNANT AND THEY TOOK HER OFF AFTER HER PREGNANCY. I WAS CALLED THURS FROM MY DOCTOR ABOUT MY CHOLESTROL AND GLUCOSE ELEVATION. I DONT PHYSICALLY SEE HER UNTIL THE 30TH... FOR NOW IM BEATING THE LAB RESULTS. BESIDES MY HUSBAND WANTS A CHILD AND I HAVENT TOLD HIM ABOUT THE LABS. IF HE KNEW HE WOULDNT GO THROUGH WITH OUR FERTILITY PLANS. BESIDES I NEED TO LOSE FOR MYSELF AS WELL AS OUR FUTURE TOGETHER AND A HEALTHY PREGNANCY. GOOD LUCK
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    http://www.nowloss.com/workout-to-get-ripped-at-home-in-10-minutes.htm

I did this when I started but actually jogged in place instead of jumping jacks since I have a bad back. Just look through this site for different things to do. Also like someone said youtube.com has all kinds of exercise videos which are all free.

http://www.nowloss.com/total-body-circuit-training-workout-routine-2.htm
  • vmazzelli
    vmazzelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I second the Netflix videos. I just do what I can and not stress if I can't keep up. Any thing is better than nothing. I often just go up and down my stairs a few times to get my heart pumping faster...good for the bum too!

Add me as a friend if you like, one can't have too many of those!

Val
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think there are some great workout options already posted so I don't have anything to add there but I do want you to know that it is possible to exercise in your house and be a Mum at the same time. We currently have about 1m of snow falling per day up here so I hear you on not being able to exercise outside but you can go to parks etc outside of your neighbourhood can't you? You must leave the house sometimes? My children are 4 and 3 years old, it is possible but you need to be diciplined and organised to get your workouts in. Good luck.
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi. Having insight into your problem is the first step and you have the best motivator in the world, your beautiful little boy! If this website can teach you anything, it's that you don't need to do huge amounts of exercise to lose weight if you start eating properly. The exercise is important for your overall fitness but there is no reason you can't do what you need to do in your own home.

How about trying some of these exercises WITH you baby? http://www.todaysparent.com/tone-your-toddler and http://instoresnow.walmart.com/article.aspx?Center=BabyCenter&id=76572

He'll think it's great fun and you'll get a work out!
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you have any stairs in your home, that is an awesome workout. I have 13 stairs in my house and climb them 153 times which works out to 2000 steps. Free workout that works awesome!
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you've been through a lot!

I don't have kids, but I remember my Mom used to stairstep as an exercise when I was young. Alls she had was a simple stool step, cheap and easy!

If you can afford a few things, dumbells at different weights (start at 2 or 5lbs), a stability ball (about 30 dollars and sometimes comes with a DVD work out), a yoga mat, etc. All tools I find that come in handy!

http://www.divine.ca/en/fitness-and-nutrition/exercise-finder/c_266/ this website has a lot of cool exercises for targeting specific areas of the body. A great place to get ideas to help build your own work out.

Dvd's of course are a great starting tool, but if you don't feel inspired by that, you could always try what I do: Make a workout playlist, and design a challenging but skill appropriate work out (I like jumping jacks, squats, leg lifts, sit ups, etc.)

Other than that, you could always join a gym, depending on your budget. Some have childcare, and with the new year there's got to be some good deals!!

Even just driving to a safe place to go on walks, especially at the beginning (pushing your son in a stroller... okay I have no idea if he is too old for that yet or not!).

Hope something of this helps! You can always add me for support!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My daughter was born at 25 weeks and spent 3 months in the NICU. She has cerebral palsy and extensive delays. I understand your difficulties. After her birth I grew to 190 pounds because I was never able to eat at home due to spending so much time at the hospital and getting very little exercise. Once she did come home, it was hard to get out of the house much.

I agree with everyone else that stairs, and YouTube videos are a good way to work out. I know you said you don't want to spend money, but a mini-trampoline is also a great way to exercise at home and a basic one doesn't cost much. You can look up "rebounding workouts" for some great ideas for exercise.
  • pumperlady
    pumperlady Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Although I am older, I've had type 2 diabetes for 11 years and now am on insulin. Take care of yourself for your son. Since I have started with
    mFP my blood sugars are great. What you eat is so important plus being more active. I hope your doctor had you see a CDE and dietition. Hang in there!:smile:
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try marching in place while watching your favorite TV program.
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You're getting lots of good advice here. I'll add one low tech suggestion. Just dance. Long, long ago, after my first child was born, I would pick him up, turn on the radio, and dance. He loved it, and it got me in shape.