Garbage Disposal syndrome

Options
An enlightening thing about being aware of what I consume by documenting every bite, has made realize that I have a problem. Surprise! I now realize that I suffer from human garbage disposal syndrome. While cleaning up the family dishes after dinner, I'm now so incredibly aware how much extra food I ate, just doing clean up.

Back the garbage truck up! I'm just saying.....

Replies

• ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Amazing, isn't it, how fast those dribs and drabs of extra calories add up? I've made my peace with throwing away what the kids don't eat. I don't need to further fatten myself, or my pet, or my husband. So down the actual garbage disposal it goes! :)
  • fayglet
    fayglet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ah! Good to know we finally have a name for this!
  • miriamparkinson
    miriamparkinson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This was so me as a kid (and to be honest a little bit now as well)

Being aware of what you eat makes such a difference though. Half the time I don't eat something because I don't want to have to enter it into MFP
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree! I think having to log in everything that you eat makes you think twice before sticking it in your mouth!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Even better, cook less food in the first place.

By not putting more food on people's plates than they eat, you're not only saving yourself from temptation, not only saving yourself money, not only doing a bit to save the planet, but also you're saving them from the risk of eating the lot, developing poor eating habits and possibly becoming obese later in life. :smile:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I was brain wash since I' was a kid. Don't waste food, clean your plate.
    Still fighting this syndrome.
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    An enlightening thing about being aware of what I consume by documenting every bite, has made realize that I have a problem. Surprise! I now realize that I suffer from human garbage disposal syndrome. While cleaning up the family dishes after dinner, I'm now so incredibly aware how much extra food I ate, just doing clean up.

Back the garbage truck up! I'm just saying.....

haha I love your terminology for it! I used to eat second helpings because I didn't think there was enough to put in tupperware, and sometimes justify eating a whole cake or something like that at once to get it out of the house quicker!!

It's a wonder what counting calories does and being conscious of portion sizes!
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I was the same. I would constantly graze nibble and pick without giving it much thought...but now I log everything...and I mean everything! I look back each day and can see if it've eaten well or poorly...so far all is good 3 weeks on and 18 pounds gone.