Crash PROTEIN-ONLY Diet?

Options
Hi,

Well I lost 25 lbs eating mostly carbs and running.... I want to lose a lot of weight fast without fasting and losing all my muscle... so I was thinking of this week doing a 1200 calorie diet consisting of only protein with 0 carbs. How successful will this work for losing weight fast? This will only be a temporary 1 week diet and I'll be running every day while on it but only short distances (3-5 miles) cuz I know it's gonna kill my endurance and will jump back on eating carbs again after this week.

Thanks

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Read Rapid Fat Loss by Lyle McDonald :]
    I would suggest against the cardio though
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Why crash diet at all?
    Options
    Certainly agree with rebekah tho. I think you are better off doing what you are doing. Seems like you have been having a steady loss!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Hehe thanks or the recommendation... well I just want to get cut this week. I'm prob at 14% now.... hmm I'm deciding though because maybe I should just do what I've been doing and then carb up a couple hours before my runs and not eat my exercise calories back at all - I could create a 3600 calorie deficit if I did this with a 5-6 mile run + 15-25 min cool down walks on 1200 calories a day and lose about a 1lb a day...
    Options
    But like you said, you don't want to be losing a ton of muscle mass. Lyles RFL is a PSMF that will preserve it. Good book and can get a free download online. It is only like 11 days and is all protein + fish oi + works amazing with the EC
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I could create a 3600 calorie deficit if I did this with a 5-6 mile run + 15-25 min cool down walks on 1200 calories a day and lose about a 1lb a day...
    If your ticker is anywhere near accurate and you have ~20 pounds left to lose, then that does not sound like a safe plan at all. What's wrong with the slow-and-steady way that your body has been cooperating with weight loss so far? The pounds don't pack on overnight (though sometimes it seems like it), so why would they be gone overnight?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    12 or 24 months from now, do you want to be one of the people who say "I've lost weight and have kept it off over a year", or do you want to say, "I've gained and lost and gained and lost" ?
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    No carbs at all ? You will struggle I suggest you look at the Dukan Diet. I hit a plateau before discovering MFP and did the Dukan diet for 7 days and lost 14lb, I now base my diet around it but modify to suit me. Its a protein diet with a minimal carb intake and the first phase is from 3-7 days depending on how much weight you carry and personal ability.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    About Me
    I've been a yoyo dieter for the past 5 years and recovering alcoholic/smoker..... before that I was 40 lbs lighter for 3 years and I got there by eating right and running (was 20 lbs overweight before that for about 5 years).... my yoyo dieting has shown me that NOTHING works for losing and maintaining weight other than eating healthy and exercising. I tried all sorts of diet pills/fasting and would always regain more than the weight I lossed within a few months.

The above is you, from your profile. Have you not learned any lessons from the past?
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    About Me
    I've been a yoyo dieter for the past 5 years and recovering alcoholic/smoker..... before that I was 40 lbs lighter for 3 years and I got there by eating right and running (was 20 lbs overweight before that for about 5 years).... my yoyo dieting has shown me that NOTHING works for losing and maintaining weight other than eating healthy and exercising. I tried all sorts of diet pills/fasting and would always regain more than the weight I lossed within a few months.

The above is you, from your profile. Have you not learned any lessons from the past?
    ^FTW^
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    About Me

ah, that answers my question too....
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to have zero carbs. All protein foods contain SOME carbs.

I would go for something sustainable or it won't work in the long term.
    Options

It isn't impossible to have zero carbs.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected.

However I stick by my other sentence!
    Options

Its isn't impossible to have zero carbs.

What foods contain zero carbs??

Beef, turkey, chicken, some whey protein

During a PSMF this is what you strive for ^^ zero carbs (or very very little) and essential fats.
    Not that I am saying it is a good idea in this situation at all ^-^
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Blah im gonna just do the same but only eat 1/3 of my exercise calories - if I stop running long distances I know ill never come back... I lost almost 2 lbs this week so im not in a plateau anymore I just want it faster haha
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    From one extreme to another....classic NA dieter.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    haha is time is different though - I'm also training for a marathon and don't want to mess up my endurance but I also know that losing weight will help me run farther but you guys are right - I actually just looked at my weekly report and I lost 3 lbs since last Saturday with HALF the mileage I ran last week. I guess I don't need to change anything really.
    From one extreme to another....classic NA dieter.
  • JBorg039
    Options
    hey gashinshotan you should really be careful with this one as you can't lose weight fast without losing your muscle. Don't worry about losing it fast, just take a slow pace ~2lbs per week & you'll be happy with the results.

If you don't know what you're doing I suggest you follow a program(you can find lots online) so you don't waste time as I did. Just read the reviews before following a program, I read mine at FATCUDA.com
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    Have you ever tried eating very little carbs before? It isn't fun. Your brain largely functions on them.