24 hour fasts

Options
Anyone trying fasting. New research says that this prolongs life.

Replies

• tonitgarner
    Options
    I'm reading "Fasting and Eating for Health" by Joel Fuhrman MD. I'm thinking about doing a 3 day fast.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi I just posted about fasting too.

I was wondering if it was ok to fast once a week?

I have been fasting once a week with the exception of goat milk and a half cup juice. I have been having a much easier time controling my appetite the rest of the week.

I will be keeping up with my weekly fasts since I feel really good and even look forward to the day fast.

Best wishes.
  • fifi888
    fifi888 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There is so much information on this on the internet (a lot of it is conflicting). It seems that as long as you don't have diabetes or any other major problem, an occasional 1 day fast is OK. The trick is to stay very hydrated. For longer fasts, I think you are supposed to get some sort of nutrition.

I did the lemonade / maple syrup / cayenne pepper fast back in 2005. I did it for 3 days and it really cleaned me out. Lost about 8 lbs and of course gained it right back once I started eating again. I probably won't do that one again, but may try the one day fast.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I do 2-3 24 hour fast a week via Eat-Stop-Eat. I love it.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options

same here :glasses:
    i love it.
    research Eat Stop Eat
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options

same here :glasses:
    i love it.
    research Eat Stop Eat
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Fasts have never worked for me -- lose 4-5 pounds and then it comes right back on. It's just water loss. My mantra is "QUICK WEIGHT LOSS = TEMPORARY WEIGHT LOSS". I'm in for the long haul and I don't want to take 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. So, maybe fasting works for young people, but not for post-menopausal women!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have never set a time or date to fast but I have fasted on and off my entire life. Sometimes it starts because I'm too busy to eat and by the time I know it it's been 24 hours since my last meal. Sometimes I would eat WAY too much for dinner and not be hungry at all for 24 hours. I listen to my body. If it's hungry I eat. If it's not, I don't force myself. I know people say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but if I'm not hungry for it I'm not going to eat it no matter who says what. I've never struggled with my weight in a typical sense. I'm 32, 5'7" and weigh 128. I would like to weigh 120 but I'm certainly not overweight.

I see nothing wrong with fasting once in a while. I don't know that I would force my body to do it if I felt really hungry. Maybe ramp your calories up the day before your fast? Since I've never fasted on purpose I don't have great advice for it. If you get a headache or feel weak I would eat real food immediately. You don't want to hurt yourself. Good luck :)

Oh and if you think about it, our bodies are designed for food surplus and shortages. Food wasn't always readily available WAY back in early humanity. I think we went back and forth between feast and famine and our bodies are designed to handle that.
  • maryhosick
    maryhosick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are different types of fasts or cleanses. Many people don't get the desired results because they choose one that puts their body into deprivation mode which slows down the metabolism. I just starting a cleanse today which is a nutritional cleanse. It floods your body with nutrition while it releases toxins from the body. I love cleansing and highly recommend this program. The energy and mental clarity is amazing. Weight loss is just an added bonus. One big thing to note on cleansing is after a 48 hour period the body goes from an anabolic state to a catabolic state. This is were you lose lean muscle tissue. Not a healthy path to take. 48 hours is the longest anyone should cleanse for.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have been fasting once a week with the exception of goat milk and a half cup juice. I have been having a much easier time controling my appetite the rest of the week.

Interesting. I wonder if that would help me control cravings and whatnot if I fasted once in a while, or if it would make me want to binge.

My roommate tried doing an all liquid diet.. she only lasted 3 days and it made her crabby and exhausted until she broke down and ate real food in the middle of the night.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I did a six day juice fast, lost 10 lbs and 3 inches, and it didn't come back on. :D
  • moonshadow07
    Options
    Yeah I saw him on PBS and then did a little research on him and fasting... I am considering a 24 hour fast 3PM-3PM and making it once a week activity. I was just wondering if anyone else had it as a part of their plan.
  • moonshadow07
    Options
    Hey guys.... thanks for the Eat-Stop-Eat referral:smile::smile: .... been to the website... I think that is what I was looking for....I'm going to give it a try
  • KOrogue
    Options
    Yes I like fasting as part of my lifestyle. I do 16/8 Intermittent Fasting Daily and then I'll throw in a full 24-hour fast once a week or once every two weeks. As someone else said earlier, it does make hunger much easier to manage while not in a fast!