Juicing - calories?

Options
NGMama
NGMama Posts: 384 Member
Hi all, I like to juice and use a variety of vegetables and fruits (including but not limited to kale, spinach, beets, apples). I don't consume the pulp (although I did just find a cool recipe for vegan juicer pulp muffins that I might try.

I put the calories down today for each fruit/veg in its whole state, even though I discarded some. How do you measure the calories for the juices you make?

Replies

• nyspotlight
    Options
    Actually a lot of the juices are on here. I take a look as I put each fruit/ veggies in my juicer at the the output. That is to say, I see that the kale gives me 2 ounces, the cucumber 4 ounces, etc. Then those are all on here.

Once you calculate what you do you can save them as a "saved meal." I make the kale/cucumber/spinach/celery/apple a lot, so I just know that as long as it comes out to the usual 16 oz its about 180 cals.

I hope that made sense. Seriously, just look up "spinach juice" and you'll see. Sometimes it helps to add the word "Homemade." So "Homemade spinach juice." Also try "fresh."
  • NGMama
    Options
    Thanks! :) I put everything in a vitamix and then strain it so I'd have to juice each one, strain it and measure it I guess. I'll check out the juices listed though and should be able to figure it out. :)
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    you loose a lot of fiber and other good stuff if you don't drink the pulp ...
  • NGMama
    Options
    I know, I incorporate a bit of it but I find it's just way to thick to drink if I don't take some out. There's not a whole lot of pulp left by the time I'm done squeezing. LOL :) Thanks for the feedback though, always welcomed by me. :)
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I juice without the pulp as well and if you type in RAW apple juice for instance or Raw Carrot juice it will give the calories for each fruit or veggie.
  • dsnoey
    dsnoey Posts: 23
    Options
    I have a VitaMix and a juicer and use both. I should do it more often... One of my favorite breakfasts is fresh juice and a string cheese! It's pretty filling and the cheese adds protein and calcium!