Curves?

Options
Has anyone here ever been a member of Curves? If so what did you think? My daughter and I are thinking of joining Curves together but I would like to hear some opinions about it first...Was it worth it? How are the workouts? Did you like it?

Replies

• FinerthanB433
    Options
    Hello MsBaby! Well, I think I already told you that I have been going to Curves for a month now, and it has helped a LOT! I have been losing 4 pounds per week ever since I joined! You get an awesome calories blast of between 300 to 500 calories, depending on how much effort you put into it! In only 30 minutes, who can ask for more? My Curves also offers Zumba classes twice a week at no extra cost! The membership is $34 a month, and definitely worth every penny! Have a great day, and I hope you decide to join!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I had a Curves membership for a while. It wasn't for me. It's circuit training, but the one by my house is also a hen house. The women there seemed more interested in gabbing than exercising, which wore on me. I'm pretty shy to begin with, so in the end it just stressed me out. I learned that gyms aren't for me. lol

I'm having more success exercising at home, but I'm a homebody.

They should let you come in and check it out before you join though.
  • paulagabay
    Options
    I had the same experience as Sister. It is expensive for only having a circuit. I am having much more success at home with DVD's than I have ever had in any gym but I am also a homebody.
  • I had a Curves membership for a while. It wasn't for me. It's circuit training, but the one by my house is also a hen house. The women there seemed more interested in gabbing than exercising, which wore on me. I'm pretty shy to begin with, so in the end it just stressed me out. I learned that gyms aren't for me.

^^^ Agreed. My mum and sister both went but in a month they only lost 300grams... But they weren't 100% dedicated...

Maybe try and score a free pass off someone you know who goes and give it a try - see how you like it?
  • KathyWel
    KathyWel Posts: 140
    Options
    My daughter and I go to Curves and we love it! Like sister_bear said Curves will usually give you a trial membership to try it out and see if you like it before you commit.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I not only used to go but was a circuit trainer

do not sign up for over 6 months as MOST women as they get fitter out grow it
    I was taught how to use the machines but NOT properly by the then trainer what every you do look after your KNEES I actually got knee damage because I was using a machine improperly - this was pointed out by a member and I said that so and so trained me and she smirked - that lady was and is fantastic I took a job there and everyone I taught got taught properly

just remember that who ever signs you up gets paid a bonus
    they really do want your money the drop off rate as curves is out grow is huge so even though they want you to sign there and then refuse and go back when you have thought about it

for me it gave me the confidence the go to a gym and for that I am really thankful

just remember it does work and it is good BUT you could very well out grow it
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    :smooched: its good for a "quick" workout but I like my regular gym better
    (and its cheaper) with much more variety. Good luck tho
  • curvy_ca_mama
    curvy_ca_mama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had a Curves membership for a while. It wasn't for me. It's circuit training, but the one by my house is also a hen house. The women there seemed more interested in gabbing than exercising, which wore on me. I'm pretty shy to begin with, so in the end it just stressed me out. I learned that gyms aren't for me. lol

I'm having more success exercising at home, but I'm a homebody.

They should let you come in and check it out before you join though.

I agree. I grew up in gyms like 24hr Fitness, and Curves wasn't motivating enough for me. I think I lasted 4 months, and switched back to 24hr.
  • pwalz
    pwalz Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm interested in joining Curves as well but the hours of operation at my locate one seem very limited. Open from 7:30 to 9:30am on Saturdays and not at all on Sunday. Is this a problem for anyone else?
  • pollyclover
    Options
    I went to Curves several years ago and had great success. I was ready to start exercising again but didn't want to go the traditional gym route. True, a lot of Curves can be a place for women to gab and not work out, but if you go and work as hard as you can for 30 minutes, it's a good workout. Get yourself in to the routine of exercising, then 6 months or a year later, go do something else. It got to the point where it wasn't enough exercise for me. But I watched my calories, went to Curves 3-4 times a week and lost 25 pounds. Don't go and chat - do your thing and get out!