Lose weight and quit smoking at the same time is it possible

Options
I my name is Cindy and I a newbie here. This site has been Very helpful for me to track my food and excercise but Im not seeing any progress at all. I did quit smoking on the same day I started this new fitness jurney which was Dec. 1 . I havent gained any weight from quitting smoking but I havent lost any weight from diet and exercise. Has anyone ever done this before successfully or have any knowledge about it. Please feel free to request me as a friend cause Ill need all the support I can get!!!!

Replies

• Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I ddin't quit smoking and join mfp on the same day but I did quit smoking maybe 4 months after and yes it was hard to lose weight and not smoke as well...Mine could be because of my age because Im 51 and it harder to lose weight then anyway....But thank goodness it's been 8 months since I quit smoking and I feel so much better...It's possible so hang on in there....Take one day at a time and if you have a bad day just get back focused the next....Good Luck!!!
  • lockleyc
    lockleyc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So the only thing that you did to lose weight was stay under your cas. and exercise?
  • bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It is possible! I quit smoking about 3 weeks after starting MFP. On the 27th of this month I will be cigarette free for 2 months. I have definitely had my struggles lately but I think that is more so related to the holidays instead of smoking. So far I have lost 19 lbs so it can be done! Staying within your calories and exercising is key.
  • Ironbeak88
    Ironbeak88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Smoking actually constricts blood flow, causing your body to gain excess weight, as well as the robbing it of vitamins and nutrients from the foods you eat. Smoking sucks lol
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    That's a double whammy.
    You'll be glad in the end, but it's a hard road.

Good luck!
  • ernieandlaurar
    Options
    It takes a long time to change the metabolism and lose the weight. I have found that weight training is the only way (in addition to cardio) but it takes at least a month with no real weight loss and then if you can stick to it the pounds will start coming off! Quitting smoking is sooo hard! I did it over 20 years ago,and now the smell of it alone nauseates me! Stick to it!!! It will pay off!!! :) (I am also a newbie to this website!)
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The main focus is lots of water, exercise, and staying within your calories...watching the your sugar and fat intake is key also...we are all human, we fall off the wagon from time to time...when I foods that I should not I try to drink more water...hope this helps
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    That's a heavy load to start out with. I did it backwards. I quit smoking, focused all my energy on staying smoke free.
    I gained about 5-10 pounds, but for me, quiting smoking was the most important because I could always get back in shape. And you sorta need your lungs clean in order to do that.

I quit Xmas eve of 2010. I didnt get serious about getting back in shape until August. I did exercise between the day i quit and August, but my lung capacity is much more strong now compared to then.

and xmas ever, yup! it will be one year ive been smoke free

edit = smoking is more important than dropping a few pounds. Quit smoking first, worry about weight later
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Sure, it is possible. I have done both. Not together, but I have done both. I haven't smoked in 13 years. It all depends on your attitude. Do it. Show the world that it can be done. Be the proof to others that it is possible. Be that person that all of your friends refer to when they talk about tenacity and the most tenacious person they know. You CAN do it!
  • shadee321
    shadee321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Im new also to this site. Started this month and have been thinking of quiting smoking for several months, I decieded for me i needed to start to get the weight off first , when i start lossing and of course after all this holidays are over i will try to kick the habit.
    To do both at the same time is a awsome struggle. I hope the best for you. Ill friend you and if you want we can help each other through this.:flowerforyou:
  • PABSY8390
    Options
    yea man. either you wanna smoke or you dont. remember you werent born smoking so just hate it and when you do any excersise you wont want to when your lungs are burning. just put it outa your mind and excersise whenever you get the craving. then you wont want a smoke i promise!
  • zahidmahfooz
    zahidmahfooz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in sep 2011 and started using mfp in oct. so far i am doing great with my weight loss(almost 23 pounds)