How to do this now?

Options
Here's some background information:
CW-140
Height: 5'2"
Female

I have been having some serious motivation issues. I am normally a person who sets goals and doesn't quit until I accomplish them, but losing weight and keeping it off eludes me. I went through a phase in college where I had some disordered eating going on, but I was in shape and looked pretty good. Now after finishing graduate school and starting my job I have not been able to consistently keep a exercise routine or stick to a fairly healthy diet. I know a lot about the science of how this works (calories in vs. calories out, nutrition, exercise), but I have not been succesful at losing weight since last year. What troubles me is that I know I am a person who enjoys exercise and love the way I feel when I eat well, but I still choose to have really bad days/weeks where I just want to lay around and order pizza. I can't stand how I look now. It's starting to affect my self-esteem again.

Has anyone been though a "I know I want to be healthier, but can't seem to keep myself motivated phase"? Advice?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been through that phase, and honestly it lasted 5 years. I had to really hit a "rock bottom" to get motivated, but it did happen and almost a year later, I am still here with only about 15 more pounds to go!

Same height as you and I weigh about 4 pounds more than you right now, so add me if you'd like, maybe we can help each other out!
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!!! I've been in it for the last 3 months!!! I don't know what it is that makes me this way. It's just a funk that I get into and have a REALLY hard time getting out of. Then something just kinda clicks and I get back into the groove for another 3 months. But for me it seems to go in 3 month cycles, weird. All I can say is to keep talking about it to friends and others on MFP. That way you don't internalize the feelings of frustration and anger towards yourself. Take it one day at a time, you'll get there! Good luck to you!
  • movemaker11
    movemaker11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

My funk has lasted just about 3 months now after I got back from a wedding that I knew I had to get into a dress for. After that, I just have let myself go. The sad thing is that I've kind of enjoyed eating whatever I've wanted and eating out/drinking on a whim. However, it's come with the price of 12 of pure fat.

I think part of my problem is that I'm inpatient. I want results more readily than they can be realistically acheived. That's when I get frustrated.

What gets you out of a funk? I don't want to hit rock bottom again like I did in college.