Foods to Eat/Avoid with IBS and/or GERD

Options
I have a VERY sensitive stomach and I tend to get symptoms of both of these. But the ones the bother me most are nearly constant gas and irregular bowel movements (I know TMI).

I've found that eating clean almost makes it worse and I've heard that processed foods actually cause less gas than whole grains.

I also eat a ton of fruits and veggies and was wondering which are good and bad for this.

Does anyone who suffers from these have any suggestions?

Replies

• backstreet1008
    Options
    Bump.
  • MaggieFit622
    Options
    Hi! I have suffered from irritable bowls since I was little and I have noticed that, if you do suffer from eating too many fruits and veggies, that you should stick with eating whole grains and blander foods so that your stomach can settle down after an episode of IBS. I find that alternating days of fruits and veggies and blander foods will help the gas and irregular bowls. And miralax also helps as well :)
  • clankp22
    clankp22 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I started eating clean, my stomach was upset every day from all the veggies I was eating. After about a month, things balanced out and my system is used to eating clean.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I have IBS. I'm bloated most of the time but I've noticed I don't have problems when I eat processed food (unfortunately I don't like processed food)!
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Processed foods hurt less because your body doesn't have to process them the same way.

Try cooking your fruits and vegetables. By doing that you are breaking down the product and in your own way, processing it while controlling how it's processed.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Bread. Too much bread in a day does it to me every time. Especially yeast breads. I think it's more the yeast than the grain.