Does anyone ever feel like they have too many calories?

Options
I'm having this problem now. When I first signed up for MFP and selected my occupational activity level, MFP gave me around 1900 calories. After a few days of following this plan, I don't feel like I'm eating any better, and I haven't lost any weight yet. In fact, after 3 days, I've gained a pound.

I work in retail, and I'm in management, so I am very active, and do a lot of walking/lifting boxes during the day when I'm working. I had selected "lightly active" just because I knew it would give me less calories and hopefully better results. After seeing what I've (not) accomplished over the last few days, I changed it today to sedentary, and it gave me a calorie goal of 1700. I haven't completed a whole day yet, but maybe this is what I need.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The calorie calculators are based on theories, and not specific to you. You need to monitor your progress for a few weeks, then adjust, just like you have done. You do need to give it more than 3 days though, with water retention and daily flux, its hard to tell for sure.
    If you are eating relatively cleanly already, you might not have to adjust too much to hit your goals. If you are eating junk, you will have a hard time keeping to 1700.
  • strgzrlily
    strgzrlily Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, for me, it's not just the calories. It's what kind of calories I'm eating and when. I'm a low carber, so I pay more attention to those than calories but I do monitor them to keep myself in check. What kinds of foods are you eating? Perhaps you should add some kind of exercise. I work in a production department at a industrial food production company and i'm always standing/walking/running/lifting but I also picked lightly active. I work out every day and burn at least 500 calories on the eliptical or treadmill and lift weights three times a week. Are you drinking enough water? Would be happy to look at your food logs. Keep after it, you've only done a couple days...it'll happen.
  • Kev383601
    Options
    Hi, for me, it's not just the calories. It's what kind of calories I'm eating and when. I'm a low carber, so I pay more attention to those than calories but I do monitor them to keep myself in check. What kinds of foods are you eating? Perhaps you should add some kind of exercise. I work in a production department at a industrial food production company and i'm always standing/walking/running/lifting but I also picked lightly active. I work out every day and burn at least 500 calories on the eliptical or treadmill and lift weights three times a week. Are you drinking enough water? Would be happy to look at your food logs. Keep after it, you've only done a couple days...it'll happen.

I work out at home on the Nintendo Wii (I know, not the same as a regular workout). The amount of time I work out depends on what I have going on. I try to do at least half an hour a day, generally burning around 150 calories or so. That's probably not enough, but I've never been an avid exerciser, but I'm trying to get in the swing of it.

My diary is public, so you can feel free to look at it and give me feedback if you wish. I don't really have anything specific that I eat....I eat whatever I have. I'm currently working overnights at my job (until 12/24) so I probably haven't made the best choices when it comes to what to eat but I don't have a lot of great options...think I'd be better off not even eating at work.

I drink tons of water. I used to drink a lot of soda, but I've discontinued that. Milk and water is all I drink.
  • Kev383601
    Options
    bump
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? While some people lose weight really fast at the beginning, others experience the opposite and need to keep at it for some time before seeing results.
  • Jljones2787
    Options
    Heyy :) I think it's too soon to tell whether or not the plan will work for you, but it might be the quanity and type of foods you're eating (just mainly the Cheddar Mac stuff)... is that frozen? If it is, that has boatloads of sodium, which could cause you to retain water. I would try to just re-learn how to eat and indulge occasionally. I know it's difficult, especially when you work overnights, but you could make a sandwich w/no mayo (or get one from Subway) and pack a couple of low cal snacks. Oatmeal in the morning with Splenda, a tsp of brown sugar and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray is amazing. Then the obvious choices like grilled chicken with veggies. It's good you're drinking lots of water. Good luck!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever have too many calories LOL. Seriously, watch salt. Even if you do Subway, the amount of sodium in the meat is scary. Give yourself more time.

My opinion, hope you find it helpful.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    You've said you've only been at this a couple of days- it takes a few WEEKS to get the hang of this....

I encourage you to STICK WITH IT....and READ LABELS- you'll be *AMAZED* at the fact that you can make BETTER choices, just by picking something w/ LESS fat/sodium
    I agree w/ others who've suggested to watch your sodium intake-
    THAT generally has a HUGE impact on *MOST* of us......

When I started this, I perused other people's diaries that had been on this journey a long time, and had lost a significant am't of weight ( I figure they're doing something RIGHT)
    to see what they're eating........gave me some good ideas.

(I closed mine for personal reasons, so mine isn't open now)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Another thing... just in case! Make sure you're measuring your portions correctly. Use a food scale, use measuring devices (I drink milk straight out of the measuring cup), and pay close attention to the serving size in the nutritional info label.

I agree with watching sodium. High sodium can easily give you a few pounds of water weight.

How much did you eat prior to watching your diet? If you're sure you had been eating 1900 calories per day before, and you were gaining weight from it, then it's possible you need to drop your caloric intake further in order to lose weight. Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • Mryjn143
    Options
    As far as it goes for me I choose to try to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a week....I have just started my diet 3 days ago and I think to me 1900 calories is too much for a day...personally my goal is 1200 a day and that to me is really hard to stick to but Im determined to stick to it. Someone I know who started a diet after she weighed 180 and got down to 120 after 6 months stated that starting off at 1200 is putting yourself up to fail. She said to start around 1400-1600 calories first to get your body use to it. I think feeling comfortable would be to eat around 1400-1600 calories. 1900 just seems so high...and i believe the average person eats 1800. I could be wrong so please dont quote me on that. Also what types of foods are you eating? Another thing I could advise you is too not weight yourself often. Weigh yourself once a week every week at the same time. Luckily myself I dont have a scale, otherwise Id be weighing myself 3 to 4 times a day.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    First of all I agree that it will take more then a few days to figure out what is right for you. IMO, I think sticking to the "lightly active setting " is probably the best bet.
    Secondly, how accurate are you when it comes to measuring your foods?? I didnt realize how off I was until I got a food scale, I was drastically under-estimating my calorie intake...and at the same time over-estermating my calorie burn. Both will really affect your weight loss.
    Make sure you are accurate as humanly possible and if anything try to over-estimate calories....and give it more time!!

Good luck to you!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    1900 calories for a man of your weight/height, who is somewhat active, sounds perfectly right to me!

Give it some time, make the best choices available to you, and be honest with yourself. The science of weight loss and management doesn't lie. Calories in vs. calories out.

Just be honest and work hard. Good luck :smile:
  • Kev383601
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers everyone!

I am new, but I am very impatient when it comes to weight loss.

I do the best I can with measuring things out, but don't have a food scale or anything. Looks like an item for the old Christmas list :-)

I refuse to give up. I WILL succeed at this. I'm determined! Thanks for all the support! :-)