homemade enchiladas

Options
samdgood
samdgood Posts: 18 Member
I LOVE ENCHILADAS!

and i am an advocate for real food not processed which means no premade frozen enchiladas for me. i also think i make some deeelish enchiladas. so why don't i make them more often? they are too much trouble. i make beef and cheese so i have to make the sauce, make the filling, roll them up and pour sauce over, cover with cheese and bake. the most time consuming part is rolling them. so i got this bright idea... don't roll them. i made my sauce and filling and i put it together like a lasagna. i layered the tortillas, filling, sauce and cheese then a second layer. put it in the oven for 20 to 25 mins and it was great.

i even made my own sauce. choosing not to use the premade processed stuff means it not just healthier but much better tasting. the biggest problem you run into is which sauce to make. there are hundreds of recipes online. go ahead, google it, lol. i found one i thought sounded good and easy and it turned out great.

the next decision is beef or turkey? i made it both ways. i think the beef tasted a little better but the turkey was good. the biggest difference was in the nutritional info:
beef per serving cal 432 carb 22 fat 29 protein 27
turkey per serving cal 144 carb 6 fat 10 protein 11

overall, it's a quick easy meal that taste great and beats the heck outa frozen, processed food.

Replies

• ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This sounds very similar to what I do. I prefer beef. Like you, I do not eat processed foods. I have a garden and like to make my own stone ground corn tortillas, and my own enchilada sauce from my mole peppers... Wish I could find a way to make my own Cream of Mushroom soup ... :)
  • samdgood
    Options
    i have been thinking about making my own tortillas but haven't tried yet. as much as i love cooking, i have arthritis in my spine and can't stand very long. that's why i try to find quick and easy recipes! i can make fried rice in 5 mins or less lol. it's super delish and much healthier than chinese take out.
  • vmom1
    vmom1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Sounds great, would love the fried rice recipe.
  • samdgood
    Options
    i boil a chicken breast and let it cool. then shred it and put in fridge. while that is cooking i make a cup of instant rice ( 1 cup of water, boil, add 1 cup of rice and turn off heat and let it sit 5 mins). i put that in fridge. then when dinner time comes i take the rice, chicken, 1 egg, low sodium soy sauce and a veggie out of fridge. i usually have some peas, carrots or broc leftover or frozen.

heat some olive oil in pan and break egg into pan and chop it up while it cooks.
    add handful of rice and chicken and saute. i usually add a little more oil and or a little butter.
    add the veggie and soy sauce and stir for a few mins.

and you have quick and easy fried rice. you can put any meat or veggies. i've done pork, chick, turkey, peas, carrots, broc. mix it up use whats around. if i have roast chicken i pull leftover meat off and use that.