Advice for eating while away

Options
I'm worried about a trip coming up in January. The first weekend in January I'll be going away for the weekend to a convention with a friend. I'll be leaving Friday afternoon (I plan to workout before I leave), and coming back Sunday afternoon, just shortly before I have to go to work. I doubt I'll be able to workout while I'm there.

Then the following weekend I'll be leaving for Florida for a Veterinary Conference, I'll be going Friday and coming back Wednesday or Thursday. I'm going to try really hard to wake up early and get to workout at the hotel gym, because I'll probably be sitting most of the day in lectures that go until around 6 pm, I think. Not sure what we'll be doing in the evening.

So I want your advice on what you guys eat when you have to eat out, especially every day. I am willing to maintain, I just don't want to gain. I mean real weight I know I'll probably be up due to increased sodium due to eating out. How do you guys stay within calories while eating out? Just so you know, I do not eat seafood, but I eat all other meats, but I usually don't have much variety (I really need to work on that).

I'm excited for these trips, but I've worked so hard this past year, I don't want to backslide. I'm one of those people who believe it is a lifestyle change, not a diet, so really I don't keep myself from eating anything, I just factor it into the day.

All advice is welcomed. I figure if I just focus on maintaining, at least I'll have a little leeway in the increased calories in eating out.

Replies

• Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    Anyone?
  • LindLTailor
    LindLTailor Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot. Like 30-40%. When I am on the road I only eat sushi. Even if it it a week long trip. I never gain a pound. The company pays for it.
  • Stacy_L_Meyer
    Stacy_L_Meyer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is a tuff one... if the restaurants have weight watchers menues I would go by those... also for breakfast I would do egg beaters and fruits... also do not forget to log your food and what you have eaten. If going out to a restaurant tell them not to add oil or any seasonings to your veggies that you would want them only steamed... and do not let them put the butter or sour cream on your baked potato ask for that on the side :-) hope that helps
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You've done a fabulous job already losing the 69 pounds. Keep in mind how you lost them.

Eat fresh fruit. Drink water. Order grilled w/out butter. Skip the fries and go for a side vegetable w/out butter.

If you're not sure how the food you're ordering is fixed - ask. If it sounds risky, look for another option on the menu. Take your own bottle of dressing.

Only order dessert if you're hungry. Limit alcohol.

Don't try really hard to get up and exercise. Do it.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could:
    Take your own healthy snacks so that you can eat those instead of the inevitable cookies, donuts and pastries. (Take a cooler or if there is a fridge in your room use it)
    Make sure that you have access to water all day so you try to limit the sodium damage.
    Make sure you eat salad/fruit/veggies as much as possible.
    Watch your portion sizes.
    Go for a walk when you can, maybe do some push ups, sit ups, squats, planks etc or whatever excerises you can in the morning, before supper of bed.
    Ask your waiter for a healthy option or ask for the food to be prepared differently so it doesn't come smothered in cheese, sauce etc.
    Nothing is ever going to be as good as being at home but it will help if you can make some adjustments!
  • iKandoit28
    Options
    Yeah i think it's really just a matter of eating healthy. Have a big breakfast. Maybe salad for lunch + go for a walk. Eat soups and lean meeat for dinner. Watch out for portion control! You'll be fine. I went to Europe last year... ate out every single meal for a whole month... EVERY meal. Came back losing a pound due to all the walking and just by following the above advice. Goodluck!
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's always so tricky anytime you have to break away from your normal routine. I would say pack healthy snacks to take with you (nuts, granola, fruit that travels well, etc) so that between meals you aren't tempted to snack on bad things. Also, take a refillable water bottle with you. This way, you can combat some of the sodium you'll pick up with restaurant food.

Other food tips:
    - Eat grilled meats versus fried things
    - Order dressings on the side so that you can control the amount
    - Drink TONS of water
    - Order steamed veggies instead of potatoes
    - Avoid sauces and cream based dishes

In terms of exercise, walk as much as you can and try to take the stairs instead of the elevator. I've also seen exercise regimens customized for hotel rooms. Google that and see if you can find a routine that may fit into your evening.

Most of all, ENJOY yourself! I hope you have a fabulous trip and I'm sure you'll get right back into the swing of things as soon as life settles down :)

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't eat out for every meal. Plan on dinner being the "event" meal of the day, and bring more controlled options for the other meals. For instance, for breakfast you could bring a Special K meal bar and an apple, or bring the meal bar and plan on pairing it with fresh fruit from the continental breakfast or a yogurt from the hotel (or a nearby) convenience store. For lunch, you could do the same or just trust yourself to make a healthy choice from the available food. For snacks, bring a few 100 calorie packs of nuts or other snacks, mini boxes of raisins, etc. The Archer Farms line at Target makes yummy fruit peels and strips. Luna makes mini protein/fiber bars that are pretty good - 80 calories for the Nutz Over Chocolate. Don't drink your calories, and make sure you get lots and lots of water to counteract sodium.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm liking these ideas. I'm definitely going to pack some healthy snacks in my luggage, this way if I get hungry I won't hit up a vending machine or grab junk. Definitely will bring my water bottle with me too. I'm used to drinking over a gallon of water a day. I'll try to eat a lot of chicken and stuff.

Thanks! Anymore advice is also welcomed.