Christmas exchange idea... ok or stupid?

Options
jeangirl928
jeangirl928 Posts: 66 Member
Ok so we have our family Christmas exchange coming up. It is suppose to be a gender neutral gift. Limit of 25 dollars. I am having a hard time of coming up with something everyone would enjoy- besides just a gift card.

My thought was buying some nice steaks from a meat shop (filet mignon if I can get a good price or maybe just a couple sirlion), some steak rub, and a less expensive bottle of wine.

Good idea or stupid? I can't decide if people are going to think getting some raw meat to cook at home is dumb. Opinions? Or other suggestions please?

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Here are some suggestions I gave to a contest and won, lol...

1.- The Art of Shaving. Any male can appreciate this.[$25]

98034.jpg

You can buy a started kit since the full kits cost $100-$150. This kit is $25 dollars, a steal.

2.- Macro Lens Band for Phones [works on almost any phone] [$15]

We've seen all sorts of elaborate ways to add extra optics to a phone's camera, so the Macro Lens Phone Band ($15) isn't just clever — it's refreshingly simple. This sturdy band holds a built-in macro lens that should work with most any phone, letting you take sharp close-ups when you need them, and wrapping safely around the included card for safe storage when not in use. And let's be honest: you've probably spent more than this on photo apps anyway

iPhone-macro-band.jpg

3.- Zippo Hand Warmer [$20] (if it gets as cold where you live as where I do, then one of these can be appreciated!)

This little guy gives you constant warmth for up to 24 hours with just 0.4 oz of fuel, and produces more than 10 times as much heat as disposable warmers. Its slim profile is perfect for pockets, gloves or tighty whiteys.
    0c8e5c1db8e00e8a8da3aa59f44c1ec42af3335b.jpg

4.- Beardhead!!! [$29.99]
    viking_01.jpg

5.-Darkfin Gloves [$25]

Although we're mostly made of water, humans are meant for living on dry land — hence our lack of webbed feet or hands. DarkFin Gloves ($25) fix half of this equation with a rear-webbed design that increases surface area by 70%, helps you tread water using less energy, and builds upper body strength. They're made from durable, flexible latex rubber, and are perfect for scuba diving, swimming, sky divers, or just freaking out your kids at bath time.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ6Mie4HFDmbejGwdTs99dPL9On30vjG7jNp3NhiuFsOQxy6ec

6.- Whiskey Stones [$20]

One of the worst things about adding ice to a whiskey is its ability to water-down the flavor. So chill your next drink down with Whisky Stones ($20). Milled in Vermont by some of the oldest soapstone workshops in the US, these stones chill quickly in the freezer, and won't impart any flavor to your favorite blend.
    teroforma-whisky-stones.jpg

7.- Cardsharp [$23]

Want to carry a knife but don't feel like adding any extra bulk to your already crowded pockets? Check out the CardSharp (£15; roughly $23). Thanks to its ingenious folding design, the CardSharp is the same size as a credit card, yet offers a 65mm stainless steel blade, and folds up securely for travel. A bit of advice: make sure it's not in your wallet the next time you're heading into the TSA line.

card_sharp2.gif

8.- Hollow Book Safes [$20-34]

Got something to hide? Grab yourself a Hollow Book Safe ($20-$34). Available with cutouts for money, flasks, a pistol, or even optical media, each book is hand-carved out of a different innocuous tome — so no matter whether you're hiding cash, drugs, or discs of information on the Matrix, you can rest easy that your stash is safe inside.

hallow-book-safes.jpg

secret-ipad-case-hollow-book.jpg

9.- Thaw Candle (for the ladies, if you have a sister or for mom) [$40] I know it's 40 but it's effing cool!!!

A renewable candle holder wasn't exactly at the top of our priority list, but damn, is it cool. The Thaw Candle ($40), designed by Mathew Jackson, will look great in almost any environment. Simply freeze the mold overnight, light your candle inside, and watch the shade melt back into the mold, ready to be frozen again. Plus, if you're the type of person who forgets about burning candles, we imagine the water surrounding the candle will provide extra piece of mind.

Mathmos_Thaw_all_0020_whitea.jpg

10- For kicks Bacon Flavored Toothpaste!! [$4.50]

12061__60384.jpg

Let me know if any of these interest you, I have the website :)
  • jeangirl928
    Options
    those are some sweet ideas. love the thaw candle, whisky rocks, and that cool knife. would love to have the websites for those.
  • dimpleschick
    dimpleschick Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like stashing the computer in the book.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Ok so we have our family Christmas exchange coming up. It is suppose to be a gender neutral gift. Limit of 25 dollars. I am having a hard time of coming up with something everyone would enjoy- besides just a gift card.

My thought was buying some nice steaks from a meat shop (filet mignon if I can get a good price or maybe just a couple sirlion), some steak rub, and a less expensive bottle of wine.

Good idea or stupid? I can't decide if people are going to think getting some raw meat to cook at home is dumb. Opinions? Or other suggestions please?

Great Idea!
    I'd love to be gifted with that.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    if you want to buy me steak and send it to me, I would be more than happy. I'm totally serious. Steak sounds amazing right now!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    How about a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks plus a bottle of wine? That way they can order the cut of meat they like, and they're not opening raw meat. I like the idea though!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE steak for Christmas. Wine and meat? Best gift ever. :bigsmile:
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

I think this is a very excellent idea.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Great Idea!
    I'd love to be gifted with that.

Me 2! I hate grocery shopping, but if someone sent me some meat, I'd be delighted!
  • imalikat2
    imalikat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I personally like your steak idea. Instead of bringing the meat, make a gift certificate to redeem for the steaks, but have the wine and seasoning and put it all in a gift bag. As far as I'm concerned, you can NEVER go wrong with a steak dinner. Definitely an OK idea!!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yep. I agree. The steak idea is good.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It's easier when you draw names. How bout gas cards? Move cards? I like your own idea about the wine and so forth. That's nice. When it's not gender specific that is too difficult and I'd just do the whole card thing.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    How about a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks plus a bottle of wine? That way they can order the cut of meat they like, and they're not opening raw meat. I like the idea though!

Ditto, totally agree! Great idea.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

You'd probably want to make sure no one involved is a vegetarian or a teatotaler.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Can you really do this for $25?

Anyway, I like the idea of a gift certificate. I like steak but I wouldn't want to find raw meat under the tree. Seems like a dangerous idea from a food safety perspective.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I like steak but I wouldn't want to find raw meat under the tree. Seems like a dangerous idea from a food safety perspective.
    :bigsmile: I doubt the OP was planning to have a parcel of steak dripping with blood under the tree, it would make more sense to have a card saying "look in the fridge"
  • jeangirl928
    Options
    exactly the steak isn't going to be put under the tree...just a note saying what the gift it. and no vegetarians in the family so that is not a concern.....
  • jeangirl928
    Options
    the steak isn't going to be put under the tree...just a note saying what the gift it. and no vegetarians in the family so that is not a concern.....
  • elviraluvzu
    elviraluvzu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ahhhh....its cool but sometimes the gifts you get are pretty lame. hahaha....but its the thought that counts right...hahha..sometimes you buy like the prettiest or nicest things and you just get like something totally useless...
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options