Eating out is hard now

Options
hey everyone,

How do you figure out how much food you are eating when you eat out or have food ordered. How do you measure pasta when it's already cooked when you get it on your plate. What exactly is 2 oz or 1 cup then? Im so lost... I get the meat sizes and that it should be no bigger than the palm of my hand and the cup of cooked rice but pasta is kinda funny becasue it has different shapes.

Sounds kinda funny, but I like the whole wheat pasta from a place near work and I dont wanna over indulge.

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Hayesgang
    Options
    I think pasta is the size of your fist.

See if you can order a "kids" portion or cut the portion in half immediately - that way it's harder to overinduldge.

Do you have a food scale - measuring my food for awhile has really helped me to start "eyeballing" stuff when I'm out.
  • Karamelicious
    Options
    I think pasta is the size of your fist.

See if you can order a "kids" portion or cut the portion in half immediately - that way it's harder to overinduldge.

Do you have a food scale - measuring my food for awhile has really helped me to start "eyeballing" stuff when I'm out.

Thanks so much, I was thinking fist size as well. I do have a food scale and I have been doing that at home but I realized that the amount of food is HUGE compared to my measured portions I have been eating. This pasta bowl cut in half was still a lot so I went with about one third but I'm not sure how to calculate it for my food diary. I'm new to even eating at home so this is all reeeeeeeeally new for me.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Does the restaurant have a website that has their nutrition information on it? Is the meal you had comparable to a restaurant that does have nutrition information on it's website?
  • Karamelicious
    Options
    Does the restaurant have a website that has their nutrition information on it? Is the meal you had comparable to a restaurant that does have nutrition information on it's website?

It"s a local pizza place that makes really good meatballs. I usually just eat 3 of the 6 or 7 in the plate but I dont want to over do it with the pasta. I'm not sure of a chain restaurant that would compare. :o(
  • jms11416
    jms11416 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    here's my eating out trick... drink a diet soda beforehand. the carbonation fills you up a bit.. then i always start with a salad (light dressing or O&V) and a big glass of water... by the time real food comes i end up taking a few fork fulls and im done - i ensures i dont over eat plus i have left overs for lunch the next day that i can pack up after measuring on the food scale
  • ladyprofaz
    Options
    Can you get it take out once and measure it? That would help you to visualize. But I go with a fist for a cup and am usually about right.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    To be honest.., you should avoid pasta at all cost when you eat out. As a rule of thumb you should cook your pasta no more than 5-6 minutes. Pasta at restaurant is sitting there over a period of time which causes more starch. Starch is one of the hardest things for your body to process. Go online & get a reality check on the calories in restaurant before you eat out. In the past I would look up a place before I go. I know what to eat now. Good luck.