New to MFP....Advice needed!!!

Options
I just started a lifestyle makeover a week ago. I have started eating healthier, lower calorie foods. My husband has lost 3 lbs..I have yet to see any movement on the scale:(.....In the morning I eat oatmeal,some fresh fruit and maybe some coffee, lunch is usually a salad with chicken and maybe an apple, supper is usually some chicken breast with rice or shrimp with salad....I am really running out of ideas for supper ideas. Its becoming discouraging!!:ohwell: My snacks are usually some pretzel sticks, fresh fruit or veg...and of course I try to drink a ton of water during the day. I still feel like I am starving. I know that I am an emotional eater also, I am trying to change that aspect. But what else can I eat???

As for my activity level I have a 4 month old and its SO hard to get time to myself. If I didn't live in the country and have crazy drivers on the roads I would gladly take her for walks in the stroller. So help!..Give me some suggestions,advice, kind words..anything would be wonderful:happy:

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    I just started a lifestyle makeover a week ago. I have started eating healthier, lower calorie foods. My husband has lost 3 lbs..I have yet to see any movement on the scale:(.....In the morning I eat oatmeal,some fresh fruit and maybe some coffee, lunch is usually a salad with chicken and maybe an apple, supper is usually some chicken breast with rice or shrimp with salad....I am really running out of ideas for supper ideas. Its becoming discouraging!!:ohwell: My snacks are usually some pretzel sticks, fresh fruit or veg...and of course I try to drink a ton of water during the day. I still feel like I am starving. I know that I am an emotional eater also, I am trying to change that aspect. But what else can I eat???

As for my activity level I have a 4 month old and its SO hard to get time to myself. If I didn't live in the country and have crazy drivers on the roads I would gladly take her for walks in the stroller. So help!..Give me some suggestions,advice, kind words..anything would be wonderful:happy:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP the best website ever. I :heart: it here and I think you will too. This site is so supportive, motivational, helpful and is so easy to use. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • prewittvacaville
    Options
    Are you exercising at all? I also started Monday with my new lifestyle. So far I lost four pounds and put two back on, my mom says it is water weight that is making it fluctuate so much?! Since you have a small baby at home do you have cable?
    All the cable companies where I live have free fitness t.v. in the ON DEMAND section. You may have to look a while for it but it should be there if you have cable. It is all free and that is what I would recommend for you. There are cardio workouts, strength building workouts, and the most fun different kinds of dancing. Dancing seems to keep my attention better. Yesterday I was doing some bollywood (Indian) dancing. WOW, it is fast paced and fun, I feel it today!!!!

Good luck!

Vicki
  • nzfoxy
    nzfoxy Posts: 29
    Options
    Don't despair, your diet sounds nearly identical to mine and I promise you if you stick with it, the scale will start to show your hard work. With only being one week into it, you might be showing the week before's weight on the scale, I too live in the country and can not get out walking due to narrow crazy busy roads, I brought myself the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels, its only 20 mins, totally kicks your butt but its worth the pain trust me. I have no excuse that I can't fit 20 mins into my day to work out.
    I think you have a good plan reading your post, my only advice is stick with it and soon you'll be posting about your lose. Keep us updated.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    wow..That is great advice:happy: I don't have cable just yet. But I will be getting Dish Network.

Are the tv programs easy to keep up with? I have tried the fitness dvds before and I get discouraged lol..
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    As for as exercise goes. A good one is the Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone. She has walking and jogging dvds. Maybe the 10 minute solutions DVDs may help with you being a mom. You can do these when the baby is resting. I have started doing 10 min treadmill intervals. 3-4 minute warm up then power walk and sprint for 3 minutes then cool down.

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Thank you for your encouragement.

Jillian Michaels is from the Biggest Loser right?
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Do u need a treadmill for that dvd?...
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can still eat some of the things I did before, just in smaller portions.
    I love having a calorie counter on this site. None of your meals have to be boring.
    Plus you can still have desserts, just healthier. Instead of apple pie, slice an apple and sprinkle
    some cinnamon over it. I even did a cherry cheesecake pudding. Sugar-free cheescake pudding mix with a couple of the no-sugar added cherries on each individual serving. If you like tacos. You can use whole grain tortillas and either use beef or chicken, or even shrimp and just load up on lettuce, tomatoes and any other veggies you want on it. Also, Subway has some great subs that are 6g of fat.
    I eat out a lot and Subway fills me up and I'm eating healthy.
    Now that this blog has had it's first commercial, on to some other meal ideas. :happy:
    Baked fish is good over brown rice with some lemon and pepper. You can also add some green beans as a side. If you like butter, try the butter sprays. There's hardly anything worth counting in it and it adds that butter taste.
  • christyabullock
    Options
    I actually just did a walk away the pounds workout this morning in my living room thanks to the on demand section of my cable. I love it because anytime its raining or things are crazy and I can't really get out of the house this is what I do. I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred the other day and it nearly killed me so I am going to stay away from it for a bit...anyway, it's fun and convenient, you should really try it!!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Welcome to the site and good luck to you!

You've only been at it a week so give yourself some time....patience is important!

There are plenty of dvd's out there that can include your baby. My little ones love it when I "bench press" them up and down or give them "helicoptor rides" with my legs while on my back or balance with them on the exercise ball. It's fun for all of us and I get a decent little extra workout there while interacting with my kids.

Another thing I do is rock them...gives my legs (and abs) a great workout!

A big plus: my kids are learning about exercise....that it should be a part of their lives. Lol, and you should see my son on the exercise ball....he's a regular little gymnist (lol, sorry, had a moment of mothers pride in me :love: )
  • joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    Buy a bunch of Ground turkey. Use it like you would ground beef. It has less flavor so i really spice it up with corriander, cumin, diced carrots, peppers, and onions. stay away from rice, pasta, iceberg lettuce, juices and other things high in carbs. Try a dressing that has less calories and fat. If you wan tbread go with whole wheat and read the label. There are Whole wheat breads that have low cals and are high in fiber. My hubby likes salads and what I make so I am pretty lucky there. he only ate iceberg lettuce for years until we made our lifestyle change. After the change I started buing fresh spinach that has already been cleaned. We LOVE IT!! He won't eat salads if I don't have it in the house. The grocery store we shop at has a very large (for the two of us) package of spinach. I use it ALOT. I make salads with it. I also Cook it and put it in meals. Here's a couple recepies.

4 eggs (2 with yolk 2 white only)
    2 Pieces whole wheat bread
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    2 cups fresh spinach
    4 wedges laughing cow cheese
    1/4 2% mozzerella Cheese (lower in fat and calories)

Cook the spinach (steam or boil) and remove excess water

wet the bread so it's breaks down a little (you don't want it soggy, just wet)add the cottage cheege, eggs, and laughing cow cheese to a food processor or blend it REAL good with a fork. Untill it's smooth

Mix the bread-egg-cheese mix, with the Mozzerella and cooked spinach.

Pop it in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes. The top with be nice and brown.

When it's done it will be SOOOO yummy. I Don't know exact calorie count but it's high in fiber and protien and very filling. I figured it out and once serving is about 1/4 of the dish.

Another pasta one I make and LOVE (even my 13month old eats it.)

no yolks egg noodles
    laughing cow cheese
    cottage cheese
    2% mozzerella cheese
    Spinach Cooked

Cook the noodles
    Add 2 wedges laughing cow and 1/2 cottage cheese (previously blended together) and 1/4 to 1/2 cup mozzerella cheese and spinach to the noodles.

It's a simple Cheesy spinachy noodle dish. Sometimes I add chicken or ground turkey to make it a main dish.

Play around with low cal low fat foods.

If you want cake. This is what I do. Use a box mix. Naughty naughty I know. Replace the Oil with apple sauce and use egg beaters that have no fat in them. I believe it's the original one. My mother-in-law (a junk foodie) can't tell the difference. She also like when I make her taco's or burito's with ground turkey.

It's a change from the same old thing everyday. and most are quick to make as I don't have alot of time with 2 dogs and baby and a hubby in college.

I hope this all helps you ! I log all this stuff and when I do i take everything I have put into the dish and if I ate 1/4 of it I divide what when into the dish by 4 and there's what I had. Everyone tells me to get a scale but we can't afford one. I may document more calories than I had but that's ok if you are excersizing. I think so anyway.

Good luck!!
  • lose2cruise
    lose2cruise Posts: 107
    Options
    Are you eating all your calories? You have to eat them or your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to the fat. Try to find your "comfort zone" when you eat also. How hungry are you before you eat and then how full do you feel after. You will learn to adjust the amount that you are eating.

Good luck on your journey!