fruit & veggie diet only... thoughts??

Options
So Ive been thinking of trying a fruit and veggie diet of sorts where I only eat fruits and vegetables for a month or so and I just want to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on it. Has anyone actually tried this and how well did it work for you? Did you lose weight and if so how much and how long were you doing the diet?

I know the importance of having a well balanced diet so I would include healthy fats by eating avocados & peanut butter along with my fruits and for protein I have Whey protein shakes... so I think im covering all the basics, especially because fruits & veggies have carbs & a ton of other nutrients.

While doing this I will still be doing cardio & strength training... so yeah.. anyone have experience with this type of diet or any thoughts or concerns?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get REALLY hungry... but go for it if you'd rather go that route.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you will be eating balanced enough that way, but I haven't done it nor am I knowledgeable enough to offer an opinion on that. However, I would highly recommend taking lots of vitamins because you are going to need calcium and such.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It can be done. Be sure to include beans and nuts to get the protein up. I pretty much only eat fruits and veggies until dinner where I have 3 or 4 oz of meat or fish with my veggies. It is just going be harder to hit your macros. I would look for a some suggestions online - IE: a vegetarian diet. There my be some products that you'll like. Good luck.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Lean protein has been instrumental in keeping my HUGE appetite in check. If you choose to do only veggies and fruit because you are considering a vegan lifestyle you probably need to think of other protein sources. Bean, legumes, soy products. Did I say HUGE appetite? If I did just fruit and veggies (which I do really like btw) I would be STARVING!
  • mjgregg12
    Options
    I think you may become bored or be really hungry. Protein is so key...and it's hard to get a lot from just fruits and vegetables.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Lean protein has been instrumental in keeping my HUGE appetite in check. If you choose to do only veggies and fruit because you are considering a vegan lifestyle you probably need to think of other protein sources. Bean, legumes, soy products. Did I say HUGE appetite? If I did just fruit and veggies (which I do really like btw) I would be STARVING!
  • jgoatgirl
    jgoatgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you will be eating balanced enough that way, but I haven't done it nor am I knowledgeable enough to offer an opinion on that. However, I would highly recommend taking lots of vitamins because you are going to need calcium and such.

Calcium shouldn't be a problem if she includes dark leafy greens like kale, spinach and collards. Vitamins in general are not a large issue in a plant based diet besides B12 which I do recommend supplementing in some way. I get mine from enriched foods such as almond milk, soy yogurt and tofu.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I ate 100% raw for about two months. This was basically only fruits, veggies, and nuts/seeds. I really love raw foods, I love fruits, I love vegetables - so there were some really great things about a 100% raw diet. However, it did not work for me for the long term. I now eat more like 60-80% raw, and my body feels a lot better. In addition, I have lost more weight this way.

Some of the reasons this didn't work for me:
    ~too much fruit sugar; my skin would break out.
    ~bloating due to all the fruit and vegetables I was eating - so uncomfortable.
    ~I couldn't eat enough calories many days from just these foods. You literally have to eat all day to be able to, or fill up on bananas or nuts. Because of this it was hard to lose weight. I was either in starvation mode, or getting too much fat from avocados or nuts.

I also am a student on a low income budget. This was something I just couldn't maintain - carrying fresh fruits and veggies with me everywhere I went, trying to prepare salads, etc. I think that for some people raw foods do work, it would definitely take some tailoring, but I think eating just fruits and veggies for many peoples bodies is not long term, and pretty challenging.
    I would shoot for a high fruits and veggies diet, but getting too hung up on 100% this or that is probably not mentally or physically healthy, in my opinion. For my mental health surrounding food especially, I need to be able to allow variety in my diet. Moderation, as always, is key. Just my two cents!
  • jgoatgirl
    Options
    Btw, feel free to friend me and check out my diary. I'm vegan.
  • LaLaMicha
    LaLaMicha Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you can do that for 1 whole month. I think they call that "The Beverly Hills Diet", which is typically done for 10 days, I think. Fruits only for the first 10 days.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is a sustainable diet. You need to feel satisfied, and eating fruits and veggies all the time won't do that.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    So Ive been thinking of trying a fruit and veggie diet of sorts where I only eat fruits and vegetables for a month or so and I just want to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on it. Has anyone actually tried this and how well did it work for you? Did you lose weight and if so how much and how long were you doing the diet?

I know the importance of having a well balanced diet so I would include healthy fats by eating avocados & peanut butter along with my fruits and for protein I have Whey protein shakes... so I think im covering all the basics, especially because fruits & veggies have carbs & a ton of other nutrients.

While doing this I will still be doing cardio & strength training... so yeah.. anyone have experience with this type of diet or any thoughts or concerns?

It's been my experience - plus I've gathered from much study on nutrition and weight loss - that nothing beats a simple well-rounded eating plan that includes all the food groups in moderation. The human body is made up of water and protein. You need protein. Fruits and veggies do not supply protein.
  • jgoatgirl
    Options

It's been my experience - plus I've gathered from much study on nutrition and weight loss - that nothing beats a simple well-rounded eating plan that includes all the food groups in moderation. The human body is made up of water and protein. You need protein. Fruits and veggies do not supply protein.

Fruits and vegetables actually do supply protein.
    Check out raw foodest and fruititarians websites. I'm sure they have some great info.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds dangerous and not sure you will have the energy to exercise (or anything else) and will probably put alot of weight back on pretty quickly! I'm all for adding lots of fuiet and veggies to your diet but I don't think it is enough!
  • jms11416
    jms11416 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    maybe add some lentils... or beans into the mix, you'll need some nutrition fiber & protein
  • zimmmmms
    zimmmmms Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recently became a vegetarian (~ 1 1/2 months) and I can tell you that eating this much fiber can definitely be uncomfortable - too much fiber can cause constipation (as well as flatulence, which we expect, constipation surprised me) so be absolutely sure to drink LOTS of water. Be careful!
  • Brittney24
    Options
    I'd definitely take something with calcium in it. Although broccoli is a good source of calcium, it isn't enough compared to having dairy in your diet. Vitamin D would also be low, especially in Canada so I'd take a supplement. Iron would be the less bioavailable form in fruits and vegetables so I might try to supplement that as well (do not take with calcium supplement).
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Instead of being strictly fruits and veggies, I'd look into trying to find some good vegetarian recipes. You have to make sure you get complete proteins if you want to keep your muscles healthy, and vegetarians have made a fine art of it. Find a good balance of legumes, grains, dairy and soy. I had a website to help, but now I can't seem to find it.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

Check out www.danielsdiet.com. It combines fruits, veges, beans and nuts..its an amazing diet!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Look up 30 Bananas A Day or the 80-10-10 Diet for some good info on high carb raw vegan info. There are many people who do this and run races and are extremely healthy and athletic. You seriously need to eat 4 bananas at once for a meal or 4 oranges at once. Plus eat at least 1 pound of greens per day. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks minus a few off days and have felt great. I have been running 3-5 miles about 3 times per week plus doing Turbokick classes 3 times per week and have tons of energy. You really need to research it though and watch out on eating the high fat foods. Its great because you can eat all day and you are never hungry but you lose weight. I have been bloated a lot though