Plateau

Options
I am a 24-year old male, 5 feet 9 inches tall. My starting weight was 205 pounds. Over the last 8 weeks with the help of the myfitnesspal tools, I have lost 12 pounds and am now 193 pounds. I consume only 1340 calories a day, which is a 1000 calorie deficit for me. Over the last week or so, I feel I have reached a plateau. Whereas before I was losing 2 pounds a week regularly, I am now not losing anything. I swim for an hour at least 4 times a week, and go on mile-long walks on a daily basis. All the food I eat is healthy and home cooked. I eat three square meals a day. I rarely snack, but if I do, its on raw fruit, such as grapes, or a banana.

I have a gluten allergy, so I don't eat bread. I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables instead.

Have I truly hit a plateau? Is this weight loss considered, fast, normal and healthy, or a bit slow? What can I do to start burning fat again? I can't cut back on calories as I am already only having 1340 a day. Do I need more exercise?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    No. You need more food. 1340 is way too low for a 24 year old man. How did you come up with 1340?
  • haiderh
    haiderh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It was the number that myfitnesspal gave me based on my age, current weight, healthy ideal weight, and height.
  • haiderh
    Options
    Any other ideas?
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough is my guess. You must not have much more to lose, if that's the case change your settings to half a lb a week. No more than a lb a week. When you're close to goal it doesn't come off as quickly as it did when you weighed more.
  • haiderh
    Options
    Thanks Shannon.

I am still at least 20 pounds over weight. Its all on my love handles and belly. No where else =(
  • evalenz_123
    Options
    HI mate,

I reckon that you are not eating enough. Try targetting around 1600 to 1800 calories - and increase swimming frequency to daily at minimum 35 minutes per day with minimum rests per laps to keep your heart rate up. Also add strength conditioning at least every 3 days uisng compound exercises i.e. squats; bench presses with minimum rests.

With eating; try this -> instead of 3 meals a day; increase it to six at smaller proportions. and drink heaps and heaps of water constantly in sips.

Eating too few calories will cause your metabolism to slow down as your body thinks that it is starving. Only fix for this is to restart it by jacking up your calorie intake lets say for the day and get back into your routine.

1 pound per week is considered healthy.

Keep it up mate. And when exercising; those 5 extra push ups, 1 extra minute of running, 1 extra bench press, 1 extra squat where you push yourself counts. :)

Hope this helps. :)
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This isn't scientific or anything, but it's a suggestion that has worked for me (and still is). For a day (or two) ignore your diet. Go out to eat with friends, just DON'T think about it. Yeah, I usually gain like a pound or two back in food weight, but it kinda jump starts your body, so when you go back to eating less, it'll come off.

This has worked for me several times. Admittedly, it's hard going back on after eating "normally" but it really helps me! :)