help! out for Indian tonight and dont want to spoil my effor

Options
Hi

I'm going out for an Indian meal tonight with my family and am worried about finding a low calorie curry to eat. My family are big eaters and don't really understand the concepts of diet and exercise... Whilst I don't want to look like I'm picking or offend them, I also don't want to fall off the wagon. Any ideas for food that would keep them and me happy?

Thanks
H

Replies

• liseyicious
    Options
    i eat indian alot... tika chicken and tandoori chicken won't bother your diet and are delicious.
  • LaLaMicha
    LaLaMicha Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    anything tandoori, roti, lentils, veg jalfrezi
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    One meal doesn't really qualify as falling off the wagon. Either do some research online and find some lower calorie choices or order what you want and only eat 1/2 or 2/3 of it. Relax and enjoy your evening out. Don't let stressing over one meal take the joy out of your time with your family.
  • brownbeauty91
    Options
    Chicken tikka masala is good if you eat meat. I am a vegetarian and so I go for dishes like chana masala, dal (without butter - some places put butter or cream), bhindi masala. Avoid or limit dishes that have cream in them. Usually they will tell you in the description on the menu. I get tandoori roti with that (it's whole wheat and thin). I usually take a little bit of rice at the end too.

Hope that helps! :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Chicken tikka masala. It's tomato based so pretty low calorie. Try to stay away from light colored, thick sauces as they are probably cream based, high calorie, high fat. Naan bread isn't too high calorie, and it's DELICIOUS, I would say just have half a piece 'cause it's usually about 160 calories for 1/2 big piece.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine if you stay away from the rice and breads!
    those are the things that raise the calories the most i reckon.

also, hot things are awesome for your fat loss goals! hotter the better! haha
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Avoid the cream sauces (korma, etc.) and go for the Sag Aloo/potato dishes as they are relatively healthy. Jalfrezi is good as well, or a Vindaloo. With Indian, you just have to do portion control and not overeat!