5k tomorrow!! BIG DAY FOR ME!

sabes2631
sabes2631 Posts: 403 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I have recently started running and tomorrow is my forst 5k!
Any tips on what to do today special so I can pick up a pace and keep it tomorrow WITHOUT my dogs to pull me to a good pace?
what should i eat today for good energy tomorrow?

I am thinking oatmeal with fruit 2 hours before the run.

I know 5k isnt really a big deal, but i want to see how fast i can do it in a race...

Replies

• sabes2631
    Any tips on what to do today special so I can pick up a pace and keep it tomorrow WITHOUT my dogs to pull me to a good pace?

I know 5k isnt really a big deal, but i want to see how fast i can do it in a race...
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member

It's a huge deal! This will be and should be a great accomplishment for you! Have a great time!!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    I am not a runner, myself, so will leave it to others to offer advise.

I just want to say - WAY TO GO!!!! - excellent job just to get to this point, I'm sure you'll do great..
  • Thin4payton
    Thin4payton Posts: 234 Member
    I wish I had some advice for you, but I hate running with a passion. I do admire you for taking on this challenge!! I wish you good luck and I hope you do well!!:bigsmile:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member

For me personally, in a race, my adrenaline starts pumping and I feel like I can fly! So, I think you'll do fine without your dogs :smile: ...just make sure that you keep a good pace for yourself and don't start too, too fast.
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    This is totally a big deal! Congratulations!:drinker:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    My advice-- enjoy yourself!

I just ran my first one on 4/19-- it was incredible-- small breakfast should do. Someone told me "carb loading' the night before really isn't necessary for a 5k.

Let us know how you did-- have fun!!!!
  • Zipflipnflutter
    Zipflipnflutter Posts: 27 Member
    Definitely enjoy it and know that you are inspiring other people =)

Good luck and have a blast!
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    GOOD LUCK......DRINK PLENTY OF WATER....THAT WAY YOU'LL RUN FASTER JUST LOOKING FOR A BATHROOM. :drinker:
  • Good luck today, I don't know what you should eat, but the oatmeal and fruit part sound good. Let us all know how it goes......

Vicki
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Good luck to you!! :drinker:

I like to eat extra protein the night before a race and usually just a energy bar the morning of. Also, if you get a nervous tummy (like I do :embarassed: ) take a Tums about 30 minutes before the start. It'll help. :smile:

Good luck!!
  • Odekwe
    Odekwe Posts: 12 Member
    Oh, how fun!
    I don't think you need to eat anything special if you're running a 5K. Someone already said there is no need to carb load. If you eat as healthy as you can today and eat breakfast tomorrow, you'll do fine.
    Good luck and have a great time!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Congratulations on your big day.

This is a very big deal. You should be very proud of yourself. Improving your heath is a slow difficult climb. Celebrate your milestones!

Enjoy the day and report back, those of us who haven't made it to that milestone want the inspiration.
  • mindi_lou
    mindi_lou Posts: 8 Member
    Good luck! I am also running my first 5k tomorrow. We can do it!! :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Good luck! It's actually more important that you eat a good balance of carbs and protein the day before, so hope you ate well today! :bigsmile:

5K's are awesome and so fun! :laugh: The adrenaline will definitely kick in!

Make sure to report back!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    One of the biggest mistakes that beginning runners make is going out too fast. They get caught up in the excitement of the moment and all the people around them and start a lot faster than they should.

Believe me, I made this mistake more times than I can count.

When you start and get clear find a pace that feels right--then slow down! Just dial it back a notch to a pace where you feel you are completely in control. If you feel really good, you can speed up the last 1/2 mile.

It's a lot more fun passing people in the last 1/2 mile, than being passed.

Good luck--have fun!
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    One of the biggest mistakes that beginning runners make is going out too fast. They get caught up in the excitement of the moment and all the people around them and start a lot faster than they should.

Believe me, I made this mistake more times than I can count.

When you start and get clear find a pace that feels right--then slow down! Just dial it back a notch to a pace where you feel you are completely in control. If you feel really good, you can speed up the last 1/2 mile.

It's a lot more fun passing people in the last 1/2 mile, than being passed.

Good luck--have fun!

Good Advice! Not sure if you will have hills or if you have difficulties running up hills but my advice is if you need to walk UP the hill so you can run down. I've seen alot of people push so hard going up the hill and then have to walk down, do this in training but not in a race it's faster to run down the hill. Have Fun! It will be your first PR(personal record) enjoy it. :smile:
  • sabes2631
    I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I came in 8th in my age group- at 29:32! I am pretty darned proud of ME!
    Next up??? COW HARBOUR 10 K in September!!!
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member

That is awesome, great job and what a great accomplishment!!!!!
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member

Congratulations!!! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.