help computing goal for calorie intake

Options
Hi everyone,
A newbie here, in need of advice....

I weigh 106 pounds; I'm 5'4". It may sound like I shouldn't even be concerned about calorie intake, but believe me, I'm "skinny fat." I have a good two inches of "flab" around my stomach I'd like to get rid of, not just to look better in a bathing suit, but also for general health sake.

I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to lose this when my BMR is only 1177 (daily energy expenditure for sedentary lifestyle: 1412). Subtracting the recommended 500 from this is only 912...lower than the safe 1200 calories to ensure appropriate nutrient intake. I've limited my intake to 1200 for two weeks and have seen MAYBE a half pound weight loss.

I guess my question is this: Would it really be unsafe for me to lower my calorie intake to, say, 1000/day for a couple weeks? Or am I just destined to lose weight very slowly? I know I need to hit the gym, but that's not likely to happen until after the holidays.

Can someone give me some direction, here? Feeling a little lost....

Thanks!

Replies

• kristynlyn
    kristynlyn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I weigh about 105 and I'm 5'3". I'm also "skinny fat," and I know that I need to built more muscle and lower my body fat percentage for my heath and getting in better shape. I am usually on the sedentary side. For me personally, since I don't eat too too much on a daily basis, I lowered my calorie intake to 1100/day (and once before had it at 1000/day) with a little exercise. (It's hard to hit the gym while juggling school sometimes :wink: )

I notice that with that I lose weight at a decent pace (about half a pound to a pound a week), but when I don't focus one hundred percent of my attention on my diet and caloric intake, it comes right back on almost as quickly as I lost it.

I can't be much help unfortunately, but I'm very interested in hearing what other people have to say as well.

Good luck! And welcome to MFP!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    A newbie here, in need of advice....

I weigh 106 pounds; I'm 5'4". It may sound like I shouldn't even be concerned about calorie intake, but believe me, I'm "skinny fat." I have a good two inches of "flab" around my stomach I'd like to get rid of, not just to look better in a bathing suit, but also for general health sake.

I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to lose this when my BMR is only 1177 (daily energy expenditure for sedentary lifestyle: 1412). Subtracting the recommended 500 from this is only 912...lower than the safe 1200 calories to ensure appropriate nutrient intake. I've limited my intake to 1200 for two weeks and have seen MAYBE a half pound weight loss.

I guess my question is this: Would it really be unsafe for me to lower my calorie intake to, say, 1000/day for a couple weeks? Or am I just destined to lose weight very slowly? I know I need to hit the gym, but that's not likely to happen until after the holidays.

Can someone give me some direction, here? Feeling a little lost....

Thanks!

dont subtract 500 anything. its done by %!
    And skinny fat is fine if you put on muscle under it.
    Believe it or not you actually have to eat more to loose the fat.
    This is done by lifting weights and running while eating well.
    If you lost anymore fat you would look sick and people would scoop you up and take you to a clinic!

Post your age, height, weight, Body fat% and waist measured below the navel and ill run your numbers.
  • datalady
    datalady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Kal. Glad to know I'm not alone here!

Dan, here are my #s:

Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 106.2
    BMI: 18.2 (underweight, it says)
    Waist at naval: 31.5...It seems like ALL my body fat goes right there!
  • calipete
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with Dan - you need to find out what your body fat % is first. Most scales now will give you that number. I healthy percentage for someone your age is between 21-31% and if you are super active (like an athlete) it should be between 14-20%. If you are with in that range you are fine and like Dan said the more you exercise and eat the right foods the better you will be.

Hope it helps
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Thanks, Kal. Glad to know I'm not alone here!

Dan, here are my #s:

Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 106.2
    BMI: 18.2 (underweight, it says)
    Waist at naval: 31.5...It seems like ALL my body fat goes right there!

BMR 1223 at light activity factor.
    TDEE 1682
    Lean Mass 87lbs
    Fat 19lbs
    Perfect weight 128lbs
    Extremely underweight.

Start by eating at tdee for 2 weeks.
    1700 calories daily
    Macros
    Protein 25% 105g 420calories
    Carbs 40% 168g 672 calories
    Fat 35% 64g 588calories.
    Do this for 2 weeks to regulate everything.
    Youll notice incr energy.
    Train with weights 3 times a week and if you decide to run only do it for 20-40mins at a time.
    With weight training you lift heavy and maintain the weight lifted up to 12 reps before you add more.
    Get more info on this from places like www.bodybuilding.com www.scoobysworkshop.com or www.fitnessblackandwhite.com

After 2 weeks time...
    Recommending 2k calorie diet for weight gain.
    Macros
    Protein 25% 126g 504calories
    Carbs 40% 210g 807 calories
    Fat 78g 706 calories

this will get you appx 12lbs a year gains.
    Enjoy the food and eat healthy!
    Hugs!
  • datalady
    Options
    Dan, Thanks for taking the time to type this up! How did you calculate all this? The calculator on this website tells me my BMR is 1177 calories and TDEE is 1412.

Also, my BMI was computed using the tool on this website...not a scale or anything high tech. I'm not sure how accurate it is.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Dan, Thanks for taking the time to type this up! How did you calculate all this? The calculator on this website tells me my BMR is 1177 calories and TDEE is 1412.

Also, my BMI was computed using the tool on this website...not a scale or anything high tech. I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I use several calcs!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're the same height as me and 50 pounds lighter, I think you should be concerned about what you are eating!
    From everything I've read, strength training can help with the "skinny fat" problem, you definitley don't need a calorie deficit, if anything you should be eating more to help build muscles.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    "Skinny fat" means you are the right size but you don't have any muscle tone. Are you sure you need to lose anything?
  • MaggieFit622
    Options
    I am the same way! I am "skinny fat". I weigh 100 Ibs and I am 5 foot 1. But, I have a layer of fat around my waist. How much calories should I be eating in order to gain muscle tone? I have been eating around 1,300 a day and I haven't seen my weight budge from 100 Ibs (either way on the scale I mean).
    My numbers are
    Age; 18
    Height 5 foot 1
    BMI: 18.9
    Waist: 25.5
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    The info I provided is for a slight bulk. she will gain weight when eating at the calories given.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Go with the number recommended by MFP considering a 1lb per week weight loss.

It's all set up; just roll with it.

I eat around 3000 calories daily and lose 1 lb every week. It's great!

You must complete your profile, set your goals and take the recommended action rather that this shotgun approach where we all chime in 50 different things.

Use the tools you have and base your goals on something definitive and result oriented.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Shes extremely underweight. she shouldnt be losing anything but building muscle up to fit her skinny fatness.
    If that makes sense!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Shes extremely underweight. she shouldnt be losing anything but building muscle up to fit her skinny fatness.
    If that makes sense!
    Her goals are her own and all I am trying to say is roll with MFP recommended goals based on your settings.
    If one needs to gain weight, set up your goals that way, the go with what is recommended.

It's simple unless somebody want to monkey around and turn a sensible plan into a crash diet.
  • datalady
    Options
    Wow, you're the same height as me and 50 pounds lighter, I think you should be concerned about what you are eating!
    From everything I've read, strength training can help with the "skinny fat" problem, you definitley don't need a calorie deficit, if anything you should be eating more to help build muscles.

I agree...I should be concerned about what I'm eating. I think my problem is that since I'm skinny overall, I've always given myself a free pass. I indulge in chocolate, cookies, and whatever else I want to eat. Now it's catching up to me, in the form of two inches of flab around my waist line! Pregnancy with twins probably didn't help much, either :(

The thing I disagree about is that since I'm the same height as you, and 50 pounds lighter, that there's a problem with my size. My body doesn't think I'm underweight. For instance, my menstrual cycle has always been regular and my nutrient levels are all just fine (except Vitamin D...it's winter and I'm a white girl, after all!)

If I could keep everything as is, and get rid of this dangerous fat around my belly, I'd be happy. Whether this means gaining 20 pounds or losing 10....
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    If that makes sense!
    Her goals are her own and all I am trying to say is roll with MFP recommended goals based on your settings.
    If one needs to gain weight, set up your goals that way, the go with what is recommended.

It's simple unless somebody want to monkey around and turn a sensible plan into a crash diet.

LOL True that!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

I agree...I should be concerned about what I'm eating. I think my problem is that since I'm skinny overall, I've always given myself a free pass. I indulge in chocolate, cookies, and whatever else I want to eat. Now it's catching up to me, in the form of two inches of flab around my waist line! Pregnancy with twins probably didn't help much, either :(

The thing I disagree about is that since I'm the same height as you, and 50 pounds lighter, that there's a problem with my size. My body doesn't think I'm underweight. For instance, my menstrual cycle has always been regular and my nutrient levels are all just fine (except Vitamin D...it's winter and I'm a white girl, after all!)

If I could keep everything as is, and get rid of this dangerous fat around my belly, I'd be happy. Whether this means gaining 20 pounds or losing 10....

Make a Bodybuilding.com account and post on their "Fat Loss" forum.
    Give them your measurements ind info and ask those guys/gals that they think.

sometimes hearing advice from people in the industry helps because they wont sugar coat anything!

At any rate...good luck with your journey!
    Friend me if you need any advice.