Meditation

Options
Do any of you meditate? I know stress plays a HUGE part in weight gain, especially around the mid section. Without going into too much detail, my life is a major stressor right now. The exercising helps some with the stress but I need a way to keep me calm and not depressed without going back on medications. I have been on every antidepressant and antianxiety medication there is and while they sometimes work, I really don't like relying on them. There is a place here in Fort Wayne that is offering a meditation class starting this month and I was thinking about doing it.

http://www.kachmannmindbody.com/workshops/w14.asp

I used to work for the doctor that runs this institute (he retired). If I don't go that route, are there any books or videos/DVD you could suggest that I might be able to check out at a library (the cost thing for the class is kind of high for me but I am willing to suck it up if I have to) that might be helpful instead?

Thanks for you help. I really need to make some MAJOR life situation changes really soon (for my physical as well as mental health) and am working on putting plans in action but at the moment I need to just deal until that time.

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Do any of you meditate? I know stress plays a HUGE part in weight gain, especially around the mid section. Without going into too much detail, my life is a major stressor right now. The exercising helps some with the stress but I need a way to keep me calm and not depressed without going back on medications. I have been on every antidepressant and antianxiety medication there is and while they sometimes work, I really don't like relying on them. There is a place here in Fort Wayne that is offering a meditation class starting this month and I was thinking about doing it.

http://www.kachmannmindbody.com/workshops/w14.asp

I used to work for the doctor that runs this institute (he retired). If I don't go that route, are there any books or videos/DVD you could suggest that I might be able to check out at a library (the cost thing for the class is kind of high for me but I am willing to suck it up if I have to) that might be helpful instead?

Thanks for you help. I really need to make some MAJOR life situation changes really soon (for my physical as well as mental health) and am working on putting plans in action but at the moment I need to just deal until that time.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    are you on iTunes?

Because there are some great (and free) podcasts for meditation.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm not but my daughter is. I will check it out:smile:
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There are some great cd's out there with guided meditations that you can use. Every library is different but you might want to check out your local library so you don't have to pay for the cd. I like the "om" guided meditations by Wayne Dyer...
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    There are some geat sites for meditation as well, my day always starts, before anything else with 10 minutes of meditation. It centers me, helps me get ready for the day. Best to you always, Rick
  • angelascott919
    Options
    Meditation is a great way to relieve stress and exciety as well as a good way to get yourself in the mind set for weight loss and eating less.

Setting aside time regulary is always a good idea.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I try to meditate a few times a week. I LOVE it.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You could check out the Anxiety and Phobia workbook. You mentioned anxiety and a lot of the exercises in the book are also good for stress reduction. Meditation is also great. You don't even need to get fancy. Just spend some time sitting. Focus on your breathing, be aware of each breath in and each breath out.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Tai chi or qi gong are ggod ways to move your body slowly and reduce stress. There are videos for both
  • livinwell
    livinwell Posts: 47
    Options
    Everyone has given you great ideas, Dr. Dyer is wonderful! I would also suggest you start a yoga class.:flowerforyou: I too like to manage my stress as drug free as possible.
  • ladydeb
    ladydeb Posts: 1
    Options
    hello- I am new to this board, but felt like I should reply to your post.
    I have recently started reiki and healing touch sessions. If you aren't familiar with these, just look them up... I also have tried several anti-d's and would rather not be on them, either.
    At any rate, I agree that anything that you can do to create relaxation is a very good thing.