How long do you exercise everyday? and how much weight you l

Options
Hi everyone,

I have troubles figuring how many hours I should exercise everyday.... Currently I have 4 or 5 hours a day where I can do whatever I want before I pick the kids up from school and thought that I would be able to workout for about 2 hours a day but I find myself very tired after the first hour and read here that some people get great results with working out from 30- 60 minutes.

I know everyone is different but I'm asking about the average of you...For how long do you exercise per day, how many times a week? and how many pounds do you lose per week ( in average)??

For myself:

How long : 45-60 minutes
Times per week : 4-5
how many pounds do you lose per week : half pound

Please share your experience

Thanks in advance,

Noha

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i do weights for about 45 minutes per day, about 4 days per week. i do about 30 min of cardio per day, 6 days per week. i lose about 1-2 lbs per week.
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When the weather is nice I will do 3 to 4 runs a week @ 1 hour each and then strength train at the gym 4 days a week for @ 45 minutes. During the winter I am lucky to get 1 outside run so I will run at the gym for 30 - 45 minutes 4 days a week and do my same 45 mins of strength training 4 days a week.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    I did 30-45 minutes of cardio a day and 30-45 mins of circuit training with heavy weights. I lost about 40 pounds over months while having 2 cheat days a week.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1.5-2 hrs per day. Usually running 50-90 minutes 4 times per week; weight training, walking, other cardio, and yoga/flexibility the rest of the time.

Pam
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Currently bulking but i train 6 days a week 1.5hrs a day n 15min cardio on top of that
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    45 mins for lifting.
    On the rare occasion I run its only for 20-40 mins.

Anything more than that is overtraining in my opinion.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I do hot power yoga 3x per week for 75 minutes and 1x per week I do 90 minutes of restorative yoga.

I lose about .5 to 1 lb per week - I average 1600 cals a day (per weekly totals) .

Just hit goal weight today (4 months 35 lbs lost)
    <<<This my after picture
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    I did 30-45 minutes of cardio a day and 30-45 mins of circuit training with heavy weights. I lost about 40 pounds over months while having 2 cheat days a week.

**7 months
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation: I currently have lots of free time during the day to work out, especially on weekends, because I'm done with school for the semester and I work nights. For the past few weeks, I've been working out on average 3 hours a day. I typically only go all-out for about an hour or two (usually dance or some other cardio) then take it down a notch and either go for a brisk walk or do the elliptical at a high enough intensity to get my heart rate up, but I can still enjoy a TV show or brief bits of conversation with my husband at the same time. Once spring hits, I would like to start training for a marathon (even if I have to walk most of it), so I'm trying to get my body used to long periods of exercise.

Over the past few months I've lost on average 3 lbs. a week (the rest of the weight I lost was last year) but the past couple weeks upping my exercise to about 3 hours a day I've lost 4 lbs. each week. I weigh 197 now, though, so I imagine I'm heftier than you :)
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I started walking on my lunch everyday. 30 Minutes. and I try to do 10-15 minutes of cardio when I get home which includes lifting small weights 10lbs just to tone up. I have lost 3lbs in about 18 days... Maybe 5 but since my weight always differs from 148lbs to 150lbs I would say 3lbs.... I know that an hour a day is good for sufficient weight loss but I definetly don't do that
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Ok here is the thing...if you are eating at a deficit, you only need to exercise enough to prevent muscle atrophy. Believe it or not, this is the truth. Especially since you are probably re-eating your exercise calories, you are ending up with a similar deficit every day. The exercise isn't really helping you lose more weight; it's just keeping your body from eating its own muscles instead of the fat. So tbh...

Every other day, 30-40 minutes of full-body resistance training is perfectly adequate. Anything more than that is just wasted effort.

Edit: To clarify! The above comment is directed if you are purely after fat-burning weight loss.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    In general I do 90 minuted of cardio with 30 minutes of resistance 6 days a week.

I rest resistance Tuesday and cardio every 10 days or so.
    My resistance is lower weights but high reps, then heavy every 3rd workout.

And I split my body into 3 muscle groups:
    1. Legs
    2. Chest- triceps - shoulders
    3. Arms - back

I do a lot of weird things for cardio like military march, boxing type training,
    dancing, floor rolls, squat thrust intervals and the good ole jumping jack.
    And I jog, swim, play tennis, fast walk and bike.

Lost 64lbs and nearly 20% body fat - it works for me.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I like to do strength full body 2-3x per week, cardio 3-4x per week. It depends on your intesity and goals. I think after an hour you may be doing more harm than good. You can do an AM/PM split though if you have enough energy to power through it. Really if you goal is weight loss you don't want to tax your body too much because you will break it down. Make sure you have at least one full rest day per week. Muscle is built while resting, not while working out. Be sure to eat enough protein to protect your muscles during weight loss.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    depends. but I have been on a quest to make my workouts more efficient, and I'm usually doing 60minutes now a days and exercise almost everyday unless I'm really sore and need to rest. I don't lose consistently b.c my eating is kind of crappy and I mess up, but I still exercise regardless b/c I love it.

If I'm doing machines, I'll do intervals and different resistance levels on the treadmill/elliptical

If I'm at home, I'll do a variety of workout dvd (mostly ones that come from walmart) and I love beachbody programs (I have turbofire and chalene extreme) I hope to get something like insanity.. (I'm a Jillian M. junky as well).

If I'm doing weights, I'll do 15minutes cardio, 30-40minutes of mixed strength exercises. 3 sets of about 12 reps each depending on the exercises. This is on the machines, but with free weights or body weight, I can do push-ups, mountain climbers, blah. Squats, skull crushers.

And the ab balancing core balls are good for a lot of different strength moves.

Shortest I exercise is a HITT workout dvd (15minutes) longest is about 2 1/2 hours, I average only 1hour now though
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    M/W/F-45-60 min of cardio and calisthenics
    Sunday-Friday-about 40 min cardio, 50 min weight training in some way shape or form.
    At this time I'm remaining steady with my weight, but when I actually watch calories and focus on losing weight I was losing about 8lbs/month which is about 2lbs per week, which is a good amount to lose. Personally I know it's hard to stay on track during the holidays and to me since I'm remaining at a steady weight, and I have until about April to lose a few more pounds until weigh-ins, I'm concerned more with buidling strength and endurance than a number on the scale. To each his own though, it sounds like a lot of us on here have pretty decent work outs going on.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    I do hot power yoga 3x per week for 75 minutes and 1x per week I do 90 minutes of restorative yoga.

I lose about .5 to 1 lb per week - I average 1600 cals a day (per weekly totals) .

Just hit goal weight today (4 months 35 lbs lost)
    <<<This my after picture

just wanted to say you look great! and you just do yoga? nothing else? [and im not using the word 'just' in a negative way, that's amazingg!]

i typically like to workout at least 4 days a week with around a half hour of running and some random weight stuff just thrown in there.. i lost a lot of weight [see below] with just the elliptical and being really strict about what i ate but then platuead.. so now i gota kick it way up and do a lot more weights and out door running
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity and they're usually around 45 minutes long, 6 days a week. I'm not losing right now, but I need to get my diet under control again! When I go to the gym, I'd do anywhere from 45-90, but 60 was my usual.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you do. Time is not really as important as intensity.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I bike or run anywhere from 4 to 5 days a week. On the bike, it can be anywhere from 45 minutes to 2+ hours. Running is usually around a half-hour, although I'm still scaling up on run time and distance. I've been pretty steadily losing 2+ lb a week since September, when I started tracking.

For me, I've found the duration of exercise doesn't matter as much as the intensity. On a good ride or run, I work hard, so I'm sweating and at the edge of out of breath. Either way, I end up with a burn rate of 1000ish kcal/hr, so I figure I'm burning anywhere from 2000-5000 kcal/week.

I eat back exercise calories, if I'm hungry, but don't usually end up eating them all back.
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i try to do at least 45mins - 1hr 5 days a week cardio.. i started 6wks ago & i'm down 13lbs. i have a lot to go though lol...