Fighting those midnight snack monsters?

Options
Hello everyone. I just want to know what everyone here does when they're craving something really bad, I mean really bad like drooling over something like a granola bar in the pantry. I have tried having a "little bit" but I can't, once I start it's all downhill from there. (Lol) Replacing it with something healthy dosen't either because the craving is still there.

What do you do when you know you shouldn't eat it but you really want to?

~Looking for more supportive MFP friends <3

Replies

• stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of tea or water 'til I'm super full! Or knit or read an excellent book. If I MUST snack on something, I choose frozen fruit. Once I start eating anything grain-y, it's downhill for me, too!
  • ShrinkingHollyx
    ShrinkingHollyx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water and brush your teeth. If you're truly hungry, eat raw vegetables. Nothing else.
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    I am going to try the water thing, filling and good for you.
    I love frozen fruit! :)
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I have discovered that if I have a Coco Loco smoothie in the morning, I have zero cravings. It's very simple: 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, 1 cup cold coffee, 1/4 c coconut milk, 1 tsp cinnamon and ice. Blend.
  • tapas71
    tapas71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that if I have a Coco Loco smoothie in the morning, I have zero cravings. It's very simple: 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, 1 cup cold coffee, 1/4 c coconut milk, 1 tsp cinnamon and ice. Blend.
    I'm gonna make this now with vodka!!!
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    Yumm! LOL vodka ;D
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Ahhhh, yes vodka! or rum...
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Last night I was going downhill too, but I grabbed my two quart bottle of water from the fridge and drank as much as I could, and after that I was like aw hell naw when I passed the fridge because I felt absolutely stuffed xD
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    coffee with a handful of almonds....helps with the sweet and crunchy for me, yum
  • Beeazlebub
    Options
    Always do what feels good. To fight the urge is to feed the beast.
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I try healthy alternatives that feed the craving. Sort of the 100 calorie snack alternative.
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Story of my life ;)

I used to eat midnight snacks everynight - and it's not so much that I was hungry...more because I just wanted to keep munching on something or the other because I couldn't sleep or was stressed etc. and I packed on the lbs as I snacked on the worst things!!! cheese, chips, chocolate, or even sit and have another meal all together! Simply horrible -

anyway now I find that if I find the urge to snack on something....I drink water, drink flavoured tea, snack on some nuts, have a yogurt smoothie with fruits and the best of all - look at my "fatty" photos :) and ask myself do I really want to go back to that weight and struggle to lose weight all over again? After THAT visual I lose all interest to head to the kitchen :)

It's 12:29 am and yes I did have that craving to go downstairs and grab something yummy, but ....I did the photo thing, it worked! :) nighty night
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    if it fits my cal/macro goals I just eat it.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth, but I've found that having fruit instead of chocolate cake has been good. It satisfied my need for something sweet, and not fruit is becoming my sweet food of choice. At first is wasn't as satisfying, but now my body has officially made the switch. I also keep individually wrapped dark chocolate around, so I can have one small piece. Dark chocolate is super rich, so one piece is all I need. Even that is getting to be too much for me though. It's crazy, after eating this way a few months, I don't really crave super sweet food anymore. I went into a gourmet chocolate shop tonight, and while everything looked good, I didn't have the desire to eat every single thing.
  • zadrii
    zadrii Posts: 21
    Options
    Two choices:

1) Brush your teeth, go to bed, distract yourself somehow.

2) Eat it! Often if I try to eat something else as a substitute, I still want the food I was craving. Then I end up eating BOTH and feeling bad about it!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    if its a granola bar chances are its pretty low cal.. if not having it is going to make me binge i just eat it

i tend to keep really low cal snacks around so that when I want something i can just grab it and it wouldn't ruin my cals for the day. usually when its something like chocolate or candy, i figure if i'm craving it i'm really just hungry or thirsty so i'll either eat a piece of fruit or drink a lot of water and see how i feel after.

i also tend to just go get ready for bed when I feel a late night binge coming on.. something about getting ready for bed makes me not want to eat anymore