Need workout advice!

I am 5'8" and weigh 145 pounds. I look fit, I have been doing shaun Ts insanity and play tennis but not regularly. I have found it impossible to lose weight. I eat enough so that I am not starving myself but enough that with all the physical activity that I have been doing, I expected to lose a few pounds. I want to be 132 pounds but for the last few months my weight has been stagnant. Tell me what I should do.

Also, suggest arm thinning exercises! my upper arms are my main problem area!

Replies

• timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    I went through a period of time where the same thing was happening to me, I was working hard and not losing a damn thing. it turns out I was not eating enough for the amount of exercise I was getting. Maybe take a look at what you are eating? I know you said you are not starving yourself but you may be surprised with how much your body needs when you are living an active lifestyle.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    What type of body frame do you have? If you have a medium frame, then your weight is exactly where it is supposed to be.
    If that's the case, maybe you should focus on toning instead of losing....
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Time to switch to body fat % as a metric instead of weight!

Make sure you keep a healthy body fat %. Women are susceptible to hormone imbalances when they're body fat gets too low.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    I am 5'8" and weigh 145 pounds. I look fit, I have been doing shaun Ts insanity and play tennis but not regularly. I have found it impossible to lose weight. I eat enough so that I am not starving myself but enough that with all the physical activity that I have been doing, I expected to lose a few pounds. I want to be 132 pounds but for the last few months my weight has been stagnant. Tell me what I should do.

Also, suggest arm thinning exercises! my upper arms are my main problem area!
    You cannot use exercise to spot reduce any area of the body. If you aren't strength training then you probably should add it to what you do now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • timmymon - not eating enough?

lunglady - my body frame is medium/slightly broad but I can see that I can lose a couple more inches and lose weight in the process. I was told that I can reach my weight goal with the body frame that I had.

emurano - I need to look into this.

I was also told that maybe I need to switch to a different workout routine and diet plan because my body was immune to it... but with insanity, it feels like the first time everytime. Suggestions? or should I continue insanity and tennis?
  • Is it a myth that when you stop strength/weight training, the muscles tend to sag?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Is it a myth that when you stop strength/weight training, the muscles tend to sag?
    Yes it's true. That's why it's important to try to find a program that you know you will continue the rest of your life. A fit body takes some work and once you get there it takes some work to keep it. If it was really easy, then everyone wouldn't be overweight. It just has to be of importance in your life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition